Top of the Pops BBC4

I feel 1996 was the shift gear change in charts where stuff really stopped entering the charts and rising up and generally became in, hover then down and out (sometimes/ often without the hover haha).

I know some like that and some hated that!
It probably reached its zenith around 1996/97 but the trend started to kick in around 1993/94. But you still had singles climbing then (albeit for 1 week purely because the 2nd CD format had been issued). 7 Seconds, Think Twice and Real 2 Real type hits were ones that bucked that trend.

Just catching up and I'm confused as to why Free As A Bird was shown twice as an exclusive before it even charted?
At the time it was the first "new" Beatles (Threetles) single in 25 years, and we hadn't had the overkill of the Anthology series, the endless reissues and every new indie band trying to sound like them between 1996 and 2000. The year before had seen the At The BBC double album's sales go a bit mental through lack of unreleased stuff back then, so I presume it was considered a big deal.

Nobody expected it to peak at #2 though, I bet.

When a song went straight to number one in the 80s it was a big deal and often the sign of an act becoming proper huge. I can't remember what songs debuted at the top except for The Jam's Going underground, Frankie's two tribes and Duran's is there something...plus maybe a Jive Bunny?

Sometimes in the 90s/2000s the week 1 peak was exciting but there were songs like King of my castle that were just bizarrely doing so without any buzz whatsoever.

There were a number of singles back in the 80's that took more than ten charting weeks to reach Number one:
Dead or Alive - You spin me round (like a record)
Phyllis Nelson - Move Closer
Jennifer Rush - The power of love
All 1985 Number Ones!

Others took a little while to get going but once they reached the Top 40 really took off:
Diana Ross - Chain Reaction
The Bangles - Eternal Flame

I'm a Beatles fan!

My favourite Beatles related songs from the 80's are:
I wanna hold your hand - Dollar
Help - Tina Turner
Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Jealous Guy - Roxy Music
Twist and Shout - Salt-N-Pepa
She's leaving home - Billy Bragg
Tomorrow never knows - Phil Collins
Revolution - The Thompson Twins
Taxman - Rockwell

and from the 90's:
Strawberry Fields Forever - Candy Flip
She's a woman - Scritti Politti & Shabba Ranks

I like The Beatles a lot but they're not the greatest ever or anything in my mind. I used to enjoy listening to them more before all the Threetles stuff and neverending reissues and gimmicky releases.

There were a number of singles back in the 80's that took more than ten charting weeks to reach Number one:
Dead or Alive - You spin me round (like a record)
Phyllis Nelson - Move Closer
Jennifer Rush - The power of love
All 1985 Number Ones!

Others took a little while to get going but once they reached the Top 40 really took off:
Diana Ross - Chain Reaction
The Bangles - Eternal Flame

Many of those were CBS/Epic, and they of course kept pushing Think Twice until it eventually went huge some months after release (it spent several weeks in the 40s and 50s, even dropping down a couple of times)....before the OCC and the nonsense charts of today where they rewrite history all the time with old songs getting to #1 decades later, I think it was the longest climb to #1.

On a similar note. It never quite reached number one but Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade was another single from that same 84/85 period that took forever to peak. Released mid October '84, peaked at number 5 fourteen weeks later at the end of January '85. It too dropped a couple of times before finally cracking to the top 40 at the start of the year.

It's a pity Mary Kiani didn't perform I Imagine on TOTP rather than the dreary ballad I Give It All To You, a bit of an odd choice for her second solo single when she was positioning herself as a dance diva after leaving The Time Frequency.

If you haven't heard it, it's a brilliant dance track with an equally brilliant Motiv8 mix

Many of those were CBS/Epic, and they of course kept pushing Think Twice until it eventually went huge some months after release (it spent several weeks in the 40s and 50s, even dropping down a couple of times)....before the OCC and the nonsense charts of today where they rewrite history all the time with old songs getting to #1 decades later, I think it was the longest climb to #1.
CBS/Epic were so dogged in the 80s – they really worked acts until they broke through (Bruce Springsteen, King, Bros and Roachford all spring to mind). And if even if it was just one track they thought they could turn into a hit, they would keep going with it: Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam's 'I Wonder If I Take You Home' and Haywoode's 'Roses', for instance. But it was then up to those acts to maintain their success … which didn't always happen.

On a similar note. It never quite reached number one but Since Yesterday by Strawberry Switchblade was another single from that same 84/85 period that took forever to peak. Released mid October '84, peaked at number 5 fourteen weeks later at the end of January '85. It too dropped a couple of times before finally cracking to the top 40 at the start of the year.
'Since Yesterday' was a beneficiary of the now long gone UK chart trend of a single stuck in the lower reaches of the Top 40 suddenly getting a second wind about a fortnight after Christmas, when tracks would rocket up the charts and become massive hits. One such example from the mid 70s: 'Mamma Mia' by Abba …

Excellent Christmas 1995 episode, on the whole despite some poor episodes, it was a strong year overall for music. Now, onwards to 1996...

Spice-Girls-Paris-1996.jpg

Last edited: