Torchwood: Children Of Earth | The Popjustice Forum

Torchwood: Children Of Earth

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Dazzle, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Couldnt' see a topic on this so...

Series "3" (although its more of a mini-series) started tonight and runs every night until Friday. First episode was pretty good. "We are coming" was slightly chilling.

What were peoples thoughts?

2. Forgive me while i just 'gasm for a moment about how breathtakingly good this was

Oh my god! First episode - just one word - amazing

This series looks like it'll be the best one yet. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through, ohhh, just amazing. Some bits just proper goosebumps moments, scary stuff! And the ending, oh my god! Can't wait for tomorrow's episode to see what happens.

Love it

I knew Torchwood was gonna be ace in giving us something in between the Doctor Who specials, but i never imagined it'd be this good. If the other 4 episodes can keep this up, it'll be without a doubt the best of the 3 series.

Nice to see them stepping back a bit from some of the rushed, 'bog standard alien threat, shag or shoot' romps some past episodes had gone into. This felt infinitely more epic, more real and far, far more scary.

3. I really enjoyed ir, despite missing Tosh and Owen. The cliffhanger was excellent and it looks like they're more twists and turns to come.

4. Pretty good I thought. I didn't see any of series 2 at all (I figured I'd catch up on DVD but I haven't bought it yet) so it was my first Torchwood in ages.

I don't actually get the chills with children - it was mildly creepy, but it's what it might lead to that was fascinating. Oh, and the one thing I really wanted to know was what the cut-off age was. They said something about pre-pubescent, but one of Peter Capadi's daughters was clearly mid-teens - it's going to bug me now!

Oh, and you know who I want to see die - the secretary who typed the Blank Page email. Unfeeling bitch.

5. She reminded me of Harriet Jones, Prime Minister!

I agree with Feltano's description. "Breathtakingly good" and "Epic" sum it up!

6. I liked it, it is good to have Torchwood back. The children stopping still reminded me of a similar plot in the DW Christmas 2005 special (Tennant's first story), though. I didn't find it particularly scary though, I just wanted to know what the alien was and was kind of disappointed we didn't find out or even get a hint...

Disappointed they killed off that Doctor (Rapesh?) a mere one episode in! Nicely executed plot twist, but even so I had hoped he'd stick around...

Was good to find out Jack has a daughter/grand-child too, but I got the impression that substory will probably be sidelined or something.

Got to say I did not miss Tosh or Owen one bit even though I was super pissed they were killed off in the last series. Glad that Martha isn't in this one at all too, though it does sound like they may be holding out for her to potentially join the fourth series if it happens.

7. Very impressed. But then, Russell The Davies wrote it so I'd expect nothing less. Actually, I'm quite relieved after watching it as I've always found Torchwood to be annoyingly inconsistant. They finally made it good! The rest of the week had better carry it on!

8. I was reading a description of the first 3 episodes on digitalspy and I think we don't find out until episode 3!

9. Yeah, was a shame they killed the young Doctor off - seemed they were building him into a significant part and possible future member of Torchwood. But i guess that was their intention, to lead you down one road then shock you.

What i really want to know is if Mr. Frobisher is indeed the same Frobisher who was companion to the 6th and 7th Doctors. Would be a nice, if very random bit of continuity.

And same, i found myself not missing Tosh or Owen either. I guess they had their closure at the end of series 2 and things have moved on. I guess that's to symbolise what it's like for the members of Torchwood themselves, all part of the job, no remorse.

And with the children stopping and screaming, when i saw the trailers, i thought that idea would be kinda cheesy. But seeing it in full, it somehow had so much more effect. I dunno, i think it was the prolonged and unpredictable nature of it - that classic fear of the unknown.

10. Oh, and did anyone catch the estate agents sign at the house Rhys was viewing?

FROST LYNCH Estate Agents.

Nice touch.

11. I'm fully expecting Gwen to have an alien baby, by the way. I know it's been so many times before but I want a Torchwood version. "Why is the bloody baby green? Lets cast her in wicked"

12. I don't get it!

13. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

It did feel a bit derivative, but then it always has done.
    Looking forward to how this pans out.

I knew the Hub was going to blow up because Rhys told me at Christmas - wonder if they'll get a new base now?

It reminded me of Primeval a lot this time around, as well.
    I think it was all the different government people plotting evil secret things.

14. Twin Peaks right?

And also see they slipped in 'WHAT'S OCCURING'

At least we never got a 'bothered?' from Catherine Tate in Doctor Who

15. That's okay, I was only 11 when the relevant series was broadcast (and I probably shouldn't have been watching it anyway, except I should have because it was amazing) and you're younger than me so...

It's as in Mark Frost & David Lynch, who between them gave us Twin Peaks. I laughed out loud at it and then had to explain why to my dad.

EDIT:
    Feltano wins the prize.

16. The Asian Doctor was from Chesterfield apparently. I think I met one brown person in the 15 years I lived there and I reckon they were just visiting from Sheffield.

17. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Well they show Weevils roaming the streets of Cardiff, and my friend went there for a weekend and didn't get bitten once.

18. Well... he didn't look very Asian, did he?

19. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

20. I watched it but I wasn't paying much attention, actually.
    I loved the cliffhanger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.