Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean + World Tour | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean + World Tour

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by xOJakeXo, Jan 14, 2020.

1. I'm loving this so much I finally went ahead and ordered Native Invader and Night of the Hunters (the only Tori albums I've yet to own/hear - other than Gold Dust which I'm currently planning to skip). I have yet to dislike a single album of hers, so I'm hoping these two follow suit. I'm especially eager to hear Native Invader.

2. I’m on such a Tori binge right now but Ocean to Ocean is a really great album no puns intended but it just flows from start to finish and the pacing hasn’t been this on point since Scarlets Walk.

3. Ocean to Ocean has made me love Native Invader even more! Native Invader is less tight but it has incredible highs. I won’t say which so you can go in fresh, but both of them have so many woven threads of grief, nature, politics that they’re really sister albums.

4. The title track passed me by on the first listens, but now I keep returning to that chorus.

5. Birthday Baby is one of my favorites from this record. Very Bachelorette but more wistful and mature. I love it so much.

6. Tori sold 3,118 copies in the copies in the UK at #25, too bad about the vinyls. 1,000 sales more and she would have been top 15, Joe Bonamassa at #13 did 4,200 sales.

P'NutButter and SlowBurn like this.
  7. I am so glad that she is on a roll at this stage of her career. Say what u want about UG, it is a good album with fillers, and the last two were great.

I am so lucky that she always brings new music no matter what. It feels quite validating to see how press fawns over her, her musicianship and her legacy. She is the only musician that i properly stan. What a woman.

Verandi, clowezra, xOJakeXo and 5 others like this.
  8. I would imagine Tori's fanbase would be vinyl buyers too

what is spies actually about?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  9. She said it was intended to amuse Tash and help her overcome her fear of bats and creepy crawlies in or around their home.

10. Yeah, it's mostly about that. But I think a huge part of it is about the government, which makes me think Tori may have recorded it for the earlier project but altered it for this album?

11. This may end up my album of the year. The way she lays her grief bare is inspiring if that makes sense

Fuchsia, Verandi, wodny and 10 others like this.

12. Hope it's available to view after it airs! Wonder what she'll do...

13. I LOVE this album. I've not loved a whole Tori album since perhaps Choirgirl.

The melodies are so tight AND memorable.

soratami, fancygreen, Verandi and 4 others like this.
  14. Makes total sense. A song like Speaking With Trees is almost alarming in it's directness, coming from her! Queen of the obscure, obtuse metaphor and symbol... it makes the whole record feel much more 'real' and rooted in grief as a feeling all experience in some way. She almost word for word repeats the first verse. It's so pared down.
    Speaking with trees
    Speaking of my grief
    Speaking with trees
    I'm almost sure
    That they are grieving
    With me

When you left
    Emptiness
    Since you left
    I've been hiding your ashes
    Under the tree house
    Don't be surprised
    I cannot let you go
    You will be safe here
    Safe in the tree house
    They will protect you
    Of this
    I am sure
    How am I coping
    Losing
    Speaking with trees
    I'm almost sure
    They are igniting memories
    For me
    When you left
    Emptiness
    Since you left
    I've been hiding your ashes
    Under the tree house
    Don't be surprised
    I cannot let you go
    You will be safe here
    Safe in the tree house
    They will protect you
    Of this
    I am sure
    You only know when you know this
    How you'll cope with your losses
    Feel their arms around you
    Feel their arms around me
    Speaking with trees

It also means that when some of her usual imagery does crop up (29 Years), it's more effective, or truly whimsical (Spies).

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  15. Probably 'Speaking With Trees' and 'Silent All These Years'. But I'd love a solo version of 'How Glass Is Made'!

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  16. Yes! Thank you! I can’t overstate how powerful Speaking with Trees has been for me. I can still remember my first listen and the catch in my throat at “you only know when you know this, how to cope with your losses.”

dodoriazarbon and MrMannacroix like this.
  17. Tori is on BBC Radio 4 ... NOW

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.