Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean

Scarlet's Walk is fantastic. I remember being a bit sore about it when it came out because I saw it as a "rival" to Bjork's Greatest Hits bonanza happening at the same time (oh to be 14 years old) and I thought Tori was a "silly" adult contemporary singer in comparison. Then one of my friends finally convinced me to give her a try and I picked Choirgirl as my starting point. Needless to say, crow was eaten and I soon bought Scarlet too. Good memories!

he/him
Doll Posse was the first album she released after I became a proper fan. It leaked before the release and I remember downloading it. I liked a lot of it, but I was looking forward to the actual CD because the muddy sound quality led me to believe that a recording of a recording of the album was what had leaked. Well.

Have you listened on vinyl? I remember her talking about how they mixed the album specifically for vinyl. They wanted a "warm" sound... which totally translates on record, but creates the muddy sound on digital recordings. Not her best move, but I swear the album really does sound better.

Have you listened on vinyl? I remember her talking about how they mixed the album specifically for vinyl. They wanted a "warm" sound... which totally translates on record, but creates the muddy sound on digital recordings. Not her best move, but I swear the album really does sound better.

I haven’t. Matter of fact, I’ve never heard a Tori album on vinyl though I’d love to.

he/him
I've been trying to find a vinyl rip for years so I can hear the difference. The LP is so expensive everywhere I've looked!

Tori will always be one of my all-time favorite artists. But for the last several albums, I think the issue I'm struggling with is that she doesn't seem to want to "roar" anymore, like she did on her fast and furious tracks like Caught a Lite Sneeze, Precious Things, and Spark. Her ballads are still achingly beautiful, but her uptempo songs have been quite lacking imo, so the albums have lacked the balance of her earlier works. Regardless, I am excited to hear the new album, but I really hope she can let go more than she has for quite a while.

I feel like the songs purposefully end that way to show that "Scarlet" is on a continuous journey around America and it's only when she looks back at the end of 'Gold Dust' that the journey ends with the keys of the piano echoing away.

...or not.

Oh and yes American Doll Posse does sound better on vinyl, the bass is less compressed.