Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean

It was a bad performance and a poor choice of songs. Vocally challenging anyway, those particular 3 songs shouldn’t go one after the other - that’s a sure fire way to burn out any singers vocal cords. It was painful to watch. It was painful to see people leaving the venue mid-way through. She deserves better. She is better. And just because she’s Tori Amos doesn’t mean she gets it right every time.

It was a bad performance and a poor choice of songs. Vocally challenging anyway, those particular 3 songs shouldn’t go one after the other - that’s a sure fire way to burn out any singers vocal cords. It was painful to watch. It was painful to see people leaving the venue mid-way through. She deserves better. She is better. And just because she’s Tori Amos doesn’t mean she gets it right every time.
With your stance on police and now this… keep it please.

She doesn't play Gold Dust often enough, should be a regular.

San Francisco 2002 - probably the most emotional version of that song she’s ever done live. You could hear a pin drop. And on the last stretch of the song, someone in the crowd screams “SILENT ALL THESE YEARS”. Without even stopping for a breath, Tori goes “fuck you!”

It seems annoying audiences have been a thing for over 20 years now!

I feel like Tori is quite stubborn when it comes to her voice and it's evolution. She does have a bad habit of trying to replicate the same singing style she used in the early days (Fori hello), but because her high range has aged and sadly worsened as time has gone on, it's very thin, airy and fragile now. Her lower range however is stronger than ever but she seems adamant not to go full on with it.

Both Joni and Kate were vocalists that sung in a higher head vocal, but they both evolved vocally and in turn showcased insanely strong chest and lower ranges in recorded (and live at times) material. You could argue that neither are extensive touring artists like Tori I suppose, but it's undeniable the difference.

There is a bootleg from 2017 in New Orleans, Tori said she had a cold and it meant she couldn't use her higher range - and in turn gave one of the best live vocals. I adore that recording!

This is the kind of thing I see where it's like, YES. DO THIS BUT ON AN ALBUM. You're not thirty anymore, you got a LOT of use from a certain part of your voice for decades. Now use that other part for the next few decades, because you can make something incredibly potent with it.

Tori said in an interview for Unrepentant Geraldines that "a 20 year-old cannot talk about what I'm about to talk about" with regards to her lyrical content. But that should extend to the singing as well. If we want to hear her caterwaul up and down octaves and hit crystalline high notes, we have so much music we can go back to for that. Now give us the gift of hearing a different kind of ferocity in your singing, the kind that you have to earn from years and years on this Earth and in this business.

This is the kind of thing I see where it's like, YES. DO THIS BUT ON AN ALBUM. You're not thirty anymore, you got a LOT of use from a certain part of your voice for decades. Now use that other part for the next few decades, because you can make something incredibly potent with it.

Tori said in an interview for Unrepentant Geraldines that "a 20 year-old cannot talk about what I'm about to talk about" with regards to her lyrical content. But that should extend to the singing as well. If we want to hear her caterwaul up and down octaves and hit crystalline high notes, we have so much music we can go back to for that. Now give us the gift of hearing a different kind of ferocity in your singing, the kind that you have to earn from years and years on this Earth and in this business.

Wish she was a lurker here and read your post… such an eloquent and thoughtful way to put it. Now give us that gift please Tori!

he/him
Her mid-lower range really is her sweet spot these days. I think about this performance of Beauty Queen from 2014 a lot

(Also, not really related, but it must be said that her piano playing is as strong as it's ever been.)

Her voice has undeniably changed with age. That’s completely natural and expected, particularly post-menopause. It’s not a bad thing. It just is what it is. But it does mean she really can’t rag the hell out of her vocal cords like she used to. Even back in 96-99 when she was going for it, I don’t know how she sang some of those performances without hurting herself. Those moments were of course incredible, but like others have said, I really wish she would lean into her current vocal range more. She hasn’t lost any ability from what I can hear, but her range has lowered. She needs to really embrace that growl.
I saw several shows on the last tour and some were utterly amazing, others it felt and sounded like she was being too harsh on her voice.

The Cocaine/Hustling/SBV/Waitress encore would be damn hard for any singer. Tori of the 90’s would’ve needed a couple of days off after that to give her vocal chords a rest. So to do that now was not a wise choice and it started well - Cocaine was pretty solid but into SBV and Waitress and she was really struggling and sounded pained.

Now, on the flip side of that, this was amazing.