Tori Amos

• Thread starter Victor Fairbanks
  • Start date
he/him
20231116_104230.jpg

Looks like the "don't make me come to vegas" remixes hit streaming! Should be everywhere tonight.

he/him
That's the April 9th, 1994 Berlin date I think? The setlist matches.

(Pretty sure it's also the same as the soundboard boot that's been on Yessaid for ages and not an official upload, but it's probably my favorite show of the Pink tour!)

Yeah that's a great boot, I think my favourite is Detroit from that tour? The version of 'Winter' I remember made me cry listening on the bus home from college once.

Never seen this before -

he/him
It's my Birthday-Katy_Perry.mp3 tomorrow. I always gravitate toward Tori whenever it arrives. The fact that the time of year I was born coincides with a new year stretches out the reflective nature of both. The older I get, the more I turn toward the music that's been with me longest to soundtrack this time.

I'm in a new relationship that's really promising. It's been about 3 months, and we're in that period of newness turning into familiarity. I'm into it and want to see where it goes. Of course there's, anxiety too. That's where Tori's been helpful. Little Earthquakes sounds like someone simultaneously holding onto themselves, while also turning into something new as they tell vivid stories. It's such a glorious debut in every category, absolutely deserving of more thought and laudation. Her ability to paint an entire picture in a couple lines, like on Tear In Your Hand - "I don't believe you're leaving cause me and Charles Manson like the same ice cream" - Accusing someone of looking for flimsy reasons to leave. The Manson reference suggesting there's a darkness to her. "I think it's that girl. I think she's pieces of me you've never seen" - swinging into suspicion, devastation, and pleading with this person to see other sides to her. The vulnerability resonated. That's alongside Winter the... ultimate aging song? Mother smacked me over the head after a lot of reflection on my mom's own aging and my grandma's current terminal health. The title track leaves me breathless every time. To think she'd make albums even better than this one.

I'm excited to see what 2024 brings for her, especially with 2023 being quite good. I don't think she's mentioned working on new music, but I assume with her she's always collecting ideas. She delivered the Scarlet's Walk remaster - which sounded brilliant! - and finally digitaly released Scarlet's Hidden Treasures *with* the long sought after Mountain. Closing out with her Swimming Pools cover, one of her best collaborations to date... Bravo, T.

My wishlist:

1. From The Choirgirl Hotel Reissue: Vinyl & Digital remasters with as much bonus content as they can find. Ideally, it would be an entire Plugged 98 show plus all of the b-sides (Purple People, Beulah Land, Cooling...whew!). Also, why not collect the yearly pennies on your perfect Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas cover?!
2. New album: Ocean to Ocean was released October 2021. It feels both much longer ago, and like it was this fall. I'd imagine we're another year or so off from a new record. The album gaps are understandably larger these days but I wonder how much she wants to keep touring? The shows are shorter with less variety, but she's maintaining a decent number of dates + sales. Maybe she'll want to get in as many cycles as she can before it gets more challenging to do larger tours.
3. The Beekeeper Reissue: The Scarlet's Walk remaster has me insanely curious how The Beekeeper and American Doll Posse specifically would sound with a remaster treatment. Both have different mixing issues: the former with a flat sound and overly compressed breathless vocals, and the latter with too few dynamics and too much happening in the same channels. I doubt she'd be able to do both in a year, but just The Beekeeper would be welcomed. Throw on some Legs & Boots songs, Garlands, Not David Bowie, and I imagine she has some others lying around.

There are rumors of a children's book coming... so, yeah.

he/him
I asked this question on a Tori discord I frequent, and I'm curious about this group's response too.

How do you introduce people to Tori? Do you even try? I've been dating someone for 3 months. He's really into music too and we overlap a bunch, but we have enough differences that we constantly share new music with each other. He knows I'm a massive fan and she's my number one, and I've told him I'll introduce her at the right time. That time feels soon, so I spent my insomnia last night coming up with contenders.

I've landed on these three. I'm so curious what others would use! I think it depends on the person of course, but I'm wondering if there's any consensus.

*Stefan voice* This Winter performance has everything. The intensity, the drama, the facial expressions, the piano bench movement. She has a theatrical performance style that was especially wistful in her early days. I find her enchanting in this video. Plus, Winter is accessible and core to Tori's artistry in every way, from lyrics to the phrasing to the piano.

Pretty Good Year is one of my favorites, and the studio version is king because of the bridge. It's intense in solo form, but the band slams in with such a force. It's a song exemplifying her dynamics and lyrics you can follow along with. Even though it's simple, the video perfectly compliments the song.

Spark is my favorite Tori song, as I've probably shared. My final offering to him is another great video, and more importantly an introduction to "band" Tori. Spark has always been the initial bridge between those first three albums and into her more electronic leanings. The thrill of that bridge never gets old.

I am listening Under the Pink right now and the closing four run of the tracks just stand out so much. Icicle is a masterpiece in songwriting, Cloud on My Tongue is one of my favorites from her classics, Space Dog brings the drama and one of her best outros and Yes, Anastasia is a bonafide masterpiece.

She truly has the best run from Little Earthquakes to Scarlets Walk. Not a single bad song. And even if post SW records are shaky in quality, i really appreciate her frequent releases as most of her peers resort to drip feeding albums if they ever release something. It feels like she can't live without creating music and sharing with the world, and no matter the results, that is something i will always cherish.

She is truly the only artist i stan stan. Since i discovered her music when i was like 21 and in a really bad state of mental health, her music, as corny as it sounds, really helped me to cling onto something and i feel like i'm going through a similar yet less chaotic (something about adulthood neutering all the ups and downs) and tumultous time, i find myself coming back to her music once again.

Last edited:
I asked this question on a Tori discord I frequent, and I'm curious about this group's response too.

How do you introduce people to Tori? Do you even try? I've been dating someone for 3 months. He's really into music too and we overlap a bunch, but we have enough differences that we constantly share new music with each other. He knows I'm a massive fan and she's my number one, and I've told him I'll introduce her at the right time. That time feels soon, so I spent my insomnia last night coming up with contenders.

*Stefan voice* This Winter performance has everything. The intensity, the drama, the facial expressions, the piano bench movement. She has a theatrical performance style that was especially wistful in her early days. I find her enchanting in this video. Plus, Winter is accessible and core to Tori's artistry in every way, from lyrics to the phrasing to the piano.

This Winter performance is genuinely perfect (the lipstick on her nose can't even distract!). If I was to suggest an entry way to Tori, Winter is probably the song I'd use.

Then a playlist of the following:
Crucify
Spark
A Sorta Fairytale
Concertina
Bliss
Cruel
Mary
Carbon
Precious Things
Glory of the 80's
Cornflake Girl