Tori Kelly - TORI.

she/they
Of course when she's finally making the most interesting music of her career, it's gotta be during her blackfishing/brownfishing era sdkfsjdkfjsdfsdj

she/they
It feels strange to say someone who is literally half of the race that you say she is appropriating.
Lightskin/pale people tanning noticeably darker than how they've presented themselves for years will never not be weird. Same energy as Zoe Saldaña basically wearing blackface to portray Nina Simone. You can be Black/biracial/Halsey and still come across weirdly if you're suddenly way browner than you've appeared (even when accounting for a potential summer tan).

Mind you, her Wikipedia page makes it sound like she's 1/4 Black to begin with, and I can even tell down to her natural hair texture.

You can feel any way you want, but the way I feel won't change. Anyways, bring on the garage bawps!

he/him
It feels strange to say someone who is literally half of the race that you say she is appropriating.

I don’t think the comment was meant to be that serious, but Tori was very much playing a fully white woman for the first half of her career. The fact it has to be pointed out that she is biracial is kind of the problem (not necessarily hers because obviously she was born this way), but she certainly benefited when it came to marketing. However, racial ambiguity and blackness is automatically “cooler” when it comes to pop and younger audiences. The darker complexion and hair to go along with the shift in sound isn't by accident. She can go back to white womaning whenever she decides to if the experiment doesn’t pay off. It’s not a call for cancellation. Like, it is what it is.

she/they
I don’t think the comment was meant to be that serious, but Tori was very much cosplaying as a white woman for the first half of her career. The fact it has to be pointed out that she is biracial is kind of the problem (not necessarily hers because obvious she was born this way), but she certainly benefited when it comes to marketing. However, racial ambiguity and blackness is automatically “cooler”. She can go back to white womaning whenever she decides to. The darker complexion and hair to go along with the shift in sound isn't by accident. It’s not a call for cancellation. Like, it is what it is.
Thank you for phrasing this in a manner a lot more eloquent than my current capacity.

Like, stating that she's noticeably darker than previous eras doesn't mean I'm sending pitchforks and torches her way. Her new mode of presentation is deliberate and something to think about.

RainOnFire

Staff member
Yeah she could've left it at the hair and the styling, but there's a deliberate attempt at presenting herself differently when it comes to her skin tone in pictures like this. Yes she's biracial but she also did not look like this during Unbreakable Smile and her other projects. So there's still a discussion to be had about why she's decided to start tanning in conjunction to the shift to this particular genre.

Is it not worth mentioning that perhaps her previous label/ management might have pushed for her to look more like a white woman against her wishes?

he/him
Is it not worth mentioning that perhaps her previous label/ management might have pushed for her to look more like a white woman against her wishes?

It’s very possible, of course. But then you have to ask whether or not she’s being pushed in this direction by her team as well. The point being she can go in either direction and present as a white or mixed woman if she (or whoever) so pleases for the sake of appealing to a specific audience. It’s more of an observation than anything else.

It’s very possible, of course. But then you have to ask whether or not she’s being pushed in this direction by her team as well. The point being she can go in either direction and present as a white or mixed woman if she (or whoever) so pleases for the sake of appealing to a specific audience. It’s more of an observation than anything else.
Yeah, I definitely see both sides. I’m not sure how much of a team she has now as I think she might be independent but I’d like to think she is trying to be true to herself as opposed to benefiting from racial ambiguity.