Toy Story 3 | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Dazzle, May 29, 2009.

1. TM

TM

I can't believe they're making the UK wait so long! Damn you Pixar!

2. I feel like I might get evils for this but I found a decent copy online. I couldn't help myself knowing that it was out there. I'm still going to see it in the cinema in a months time.

3. Wetting myself with excitement.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

So I saw it yesterday..

<This post might contain tiny spoilers>

This was brilliant, and might even be my favourite Pixar because:

- The humour was really good, I laughed out loud every few minutes.. highlights included every scene with Ken & Barbie (especially the ones in his house), something with a tortilla, and that disturbing little monkey.

- There's a few scenes towards the end where I really got teary eyed again (how do they keep doing it?). The last scene where they're in danger was intense!!

- This might be most consistent Pixar yet. Story kept moving forward at a decent pace, there were absolutely nĂ³ filler scenes, every scene that seemed to be one turned out to have a proper function for the story's progress later on. And I think this is the first time a Pixar didn't feel like 2 parts to me (part 1: the story... part 2: 40 minutes of chasing, with something else going wrong every 10 minutes). As much as I've loved past Pixar's they always dragged the end a bit, while here every minute of the movie was justified.

The 3D did definitely make for a more intense experience, although it was a bit tiring too (looking at a normal screen is a bit more relaxed, I found myself staring at the screen for 2 hours).

Everyone: go see this! Even if you weren't a huge fan of the first two!

5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

6. I'm well and truly stunned with the sucess of this film. It's only been out for less than a month and has gained half a billion and is the most sucessful Pixar movie ever. To think as well that the anticipation of the film on this side of the Atlantic is massive and it has'nt even been released over here yet... i'm almost certian that with more money from the US being garnered as well as money from other parts of the world... this is easily going to make over a billion dollers ; meaning it will be within the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time!

But the real question is can it beat Avatar to the number one movie of all time... what do you guys think because i belive it can and preobaly will?

7. I think it could replace Avatar; I mean Toy Story 3 appeals to everyone (and appeal equals sales...mainly) whereas Avatar wasn't at all a kids movie, and though Avatar had masses hype - think about it, the Toy Story saga has been going on for 15 years now, add that to the hype for Toy Story 3 that has been going on for well over a year now - Avatar's hype doesn't compare.
    Plus Toy Story 3 is the better movie (it can't possibly not be brilliant!) - it deserves it. What sales did Avatar have at less than a month?

8. ^$1 billion in 20 days.
    Yes, but does the hype really concern everyone? Sure, the parents will go with the kids, some adults may go alone for a laugh, the teenagers will go, some Toy Story 1 nostalgics will go, but I think the rest won't be interested. This is marketed as a kids' film. The hype around Avatar was the new 3D technology + the genius of James Cameron (who doesn't love Titanic?).

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

It's most definitely not (just) a kids' film though.

10. I hate Titantic!
    Was it the 'new' 3D technology, though? By the time Avatar was released, a lot of movies were being released in 3D - G-Force, Ice Age 3, Coraline etc. so it wasn't really 'new'. Toy Story 3 has the hype that could possibly overtake Avatar - everyone knows Toy Story now, Pixar are more or less a household name these days, plus good reviews will help a lot. And Mvnl is right - all of Pixar's movies aren't just "kids" movies - Up is the best example. It has the amazing Doug, the action, and the comedy for the kids, whereas the opening bit about Carl and Elle's life is certainly not for the kids - it goes over their heads, but the adults understand it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. My inner Pixar stan is taking over.

11. Avatar was shot with 3D cameras and mind-boggling technology was used in the making of it, whilst nearly every other 3D movie wasn't. For the best example go see Avatar and Alice in Wonderland as a comparison.

I doubt Toy Story 3 will surpass it money-wise, but it will be biblically amazing nonetheless.

12. 3Xs

3Xs

So this has been out for weeks now and I know I'm hella late but I just saw this earlier today and it SLAYED the shit out of me. I laughed so hard it hurt and I cried like a fucking bitch at the end, it gave me EVERYTHING. Easily the best movie I've seen all year (and the best movie I've seen in quite a long time for that matter). I think this could be the best of the trilogy and it all just felt sooo right, it may have been 10 years since the previous installment but it didn't feel that way if you know what I'm saying.

It was even doubly emotional for me since I kind of grew up with Toy Story and I'm around the same age as Andy (a little bit older) so it felt like a part of my childhood was connecting with me if you know what I'm saying. It was just all so emotional, even for about 20 minutes after the film I was still a bit shook up.

Anyway, THIS MOVIE ROCKS. This shit deserves and Oscar for real.

13. It's finally out in the UK! Seeing it today and cannot wait!

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

HUGE SPOILER
    Don't click when you've yet to see the movie!!!

This has to be (one of) the strongest Pixar/movie scene(s) ever!

15. One of the best films ever, just...fantastic. They just got it so right, SPOILER

when they're all in the dump waiting to burn, and they hold hands, and the throwback to the first one with THE CLAWWWWW. Wow.

16. I only got around to seeing this last week and I can firmly and without any ambivalence say that this is my favorite movie of (at least) 2010. I can't think of a single way to improve it.

17. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yay for finally some other people who saw it in this thread?
    How would you rate it compared to other Pixars?

It really might be my new number 1, even though I never was that crazy about the previous 2. It really does it's job perfectly.

18. I went to see this today and cried. I'm quite afraid of clowns but the one from this film was adorable!

19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh yes!
    I have a huge fear of monkeys now though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.