Travel | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

Travel

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hitori, May 23, 2012.

1. Maybe somewhere like Barnes and Noble on Union Sq would have magazines? But it’s been years since I lived in NYC so I’m not sure.

_saturday_ likes this.
  2. There's this place which I came across online but haven't visited yet:
    https://www.magazinecafestore.com/pages/nycstore

If you do drop by, let us know what it's like and if it's worth visiting.

_saturday_ likes this.
  3. It was ok. They had a lot of stuff but the store was rather small and tight. Barnes and noble at the union Square was much better and they had even more!

Ashling92 and russkitten like this.
  4. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

So this is incredibly annoying and random...but I somehow remembered this post when chatting with @fancygreen the last few days. We actually were very worried about not getting up to Glasgow (for our Sugababes meet-and-greet) after flying into London, and your post about the rail strike helped us decide to fly instead. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I just wanted to acknowledge and thank you for helping make a good decision and not panic at the last minute while in a whole-ass foreign country.

5. Oh, I'm glad. The trains here are just.. a shitshow at the moment and flying is going to be infinitely more reliable for you.

It's honestly such a shame that it's run so badly because the train is a great way to see lots of the country and occasionally a really nice experience, and I really feel for tourists trying to make sense of it all on top of the transport strikes going on.

Mr.Arroz likes this.
  6. So, uh, this is more of a relocation than a travelling situation but I'm currently doing the visa application to relocate and work in London. And it's been a mess, fucking Brexit. Saying I'm terrified is an understatement nn but thankfully at the very beginning I'll be living with a friend from my valley who moved to London years ago.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to fall into the trap of getting overworked and depressed the moment I get there, so if some of you London gals want to hang out once I'm there and show me what London queers do and survive in the city pls let me know.

I know some of y'all live there (cough cough Big Pop girls @aux and @constantino <3 ) but generally I don't know which Brits live where kii.

7. To reassure you, London is a very 'liveable' big city - lots of parks, free museums, river walks, great public transport - and a huge, thriving community of lgbties. I have so many friends who relocated here for work and never want to leave.

I will of course be happy to take your on a food tour (or several) <3

Future Lover, aux and Verandi like this.
  8. In addition to this it's also worth pointing out it is a notoriously difficult city to make friends in and it's worth trying to form social circles pretty much from the jump, because they require a bit more nurturing and attention than they do in other major cities.

Aside from that it's a brilliant city and despite paying literally insane amounts of money to live here the amount of stuff to do is overwhelmingly excellent.

constantino, aux and Verandi like this.
  9. I’m in Berlin for the next 4 days and have done precisely zero planning so if anyone has any recommendations for things to do I’d love to hear them!

10. Walk around Hackesher Markt

jordxn likes this.
  11. Go take mdma at a club.
    Have kinky sex

Txetxu, Stopremix and jordxn like this.
  12. Fff the gulf between these two responses is sending me!

Txetxu, Verandi and Mikl C like this.
  13. Has anyone ever done any last minute trips? Would love to hear about them

Having a rough patch and just want to get on the next flight to Thailand for a month but I know I can't in reality

14. Literally all the time. Just get on Skyscanner and put whatever dates you have off and hit everywhere in the destination box and see what's affordable

15. Ddd this being my exact itinerary for 4 days straight when I went back in October.

Mikl C likes this.
  16. What @Mikl C said. You don't even need to go as far as Thailand, I got a week in Poland the other month for £25 return and booked the morning of going. Google Flights and Skyscanner both have an 'anywhere' option where you can plug in your local airport, some suggested dates, and it'll throw back a bunch of places you might never have thought of.

If you're in a rut and have the opportunity in terms of work there's absolutely nothing like doing a lastminute trip and serving

[​IMG]

Laurence, Mikl C and toby3000 like this.
  17. Anyone have any experience of Cape Verde in October/November?

18. I think I hate Brexit. My friend and I are planning on leaving our jobs and going travelling next year (hopefully from March) but the visa/work permit is so confusing. We wanted to just hop on flights throughout Europe but apparently you can only do a maximum of 90 days?

Also, we are unfortunately not rich, so will be looking to work while travelling to fund it. Any advice is more than welcome.

19. Most European countries you can't work without a work visa, unless I'm mistaken, which you won't be granted if you're not a citizen or offered an employment contract. Certainly that's the case for Brits in the Netherlands where I live.

If you have the kind of job where you can freelance that might be your best bet to travel for a long period of time.

Blue6010 likes this.
  20. Yeah that’s what I’m getting from the research I have done online, which is disappointing. I was hoping to do some sort of remote job but again, super conflicting information online.

Canada is also an option, it appears you can go there for longer (6 months) and just reapply to extend your visa if you want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.