Travel

she/her
Thanks so much!

So far I’m thinking:
Tokyo
Kyoto
Osaka
Hiroshima

Can you do a day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka or do you need to stay overnight? How long do trains take between Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

Maybe a day trip to see Fuji if I can make it work. Haven’t booked flights yet so still have a bit of flexibility. @nikkysan feel free to DM me your itinerary in terms of how long you stayed in each place dd

Thanks so much!

So far I’m thinking:
Tokyo
Kyoto
Osaka
Hiroshima

Can you do a day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka or do you need to stay overnight? How long do trains take between Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

Maybe a day trip to see Fuji if I can make it work. Haven’t booked flights yet so still have a bit of flexibility. @nikkysan feel free to DM me your itinerary in terms of how long you stayed in each place dd

I honestly wouldn't try to pack this much into 10 days, particularly since there's a lot of "hidden" time that takes up so much over there like finding your accommodation, packing/repacking bags, dealing with public transport etc.

If it's your first time I would split pretty evenly between Tokyo and Kyoto, honestly. There's more than enough in and around those areas (both have lots of day trips possible) to keep you very happy.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
He/Him/His
I live here and I'm going to use these recs cheers
Here's another bar I was at recently:

La Linea Lounge - very chill energy, mixed crowd, they allow outside food if you just really wanna 'lounge'

Also more food:

Sa'Tacos - in Inwood, if you wanna try birria tacos these are 8/10. Their cochinita tacos with pickled onions are super flavorful
Burger Heights - another Washington Heights place. The fries are great, especially with their unique dipping sauces. They make everything to order, so you can customize like cray.
Tampopo Ramen - the mini beef bowls - YUM. I also enjoy their pancakes, and their pork katsu is another terrific choice
Taquería Milear - tucked in Brooklyn, a great spot for inexpensive authentic Mexican if you're off the 2/3 train
La Isla Cuchifrito - Near the Hub in the Bronx: if you wanna try pernil with ajo y arroz, this is GREAT. It's cash only and they mostly if not only speak Spanish, but you can try other Caribbean mainstays like empanadas and alcapurrias. You can take the Bx19 from the A train and hop off, walk past Lincoln and eat on your way to Grand Concourse to head back into Manhattan

Has anyone ever done Vietnam / Cambodia - I'm looking at various options and sample itineraries, but I'd like to keep internal flights to a minimum and a lot of them seem very 2/3 here, flight, 2/3 days, I'd like to be able to explore and sneak a relaxing bit of time in too across 14 days, just wondering if anyone has done the trip.

she/her
Has anyone ever done Vietnam / Cambodia - I'm looking at various options and sample itineraries, but I'd like to keep internal flights to a minimum and a lot of them seem very 2/3 here, flight, 2/3 days, I'd like to be able to explore and sneak a relaxing bit of time in too across 14 days, just wondering if anyone has done the trip.
I taught English in Cambodia for two months so travelled around a lot. You can get buses everywhere within Cambodia if you’re ok with some long journeys.

In Cambodia I’d recommend:
Siem Reap - Angkor Wat and other temples, party place too for backpackers
Phnom Penh - killing fields and S21 jail, grim but I learnt a lot about Cambodia’s history
Kampot: cute little backpacker town by a river
Koh Rong Samloem: stunning island off the coast of Sihanoukville with the most perfect beach I have ever been on, crystal clear water

I’d stay 2-3 days each in the above places, if you have time. You can stay in really nice hostels with pools for cheap all over the country.

You can also get a bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh if you want to avoid flights, I did that.

I only spent a week in Vietnam so wouldn’t have as much information about it. Halong Bay is amazing though.

I taught English in Cambodia for two months so travelled around a lot. You can get buses everywhere within Cambodia if you’re ok with some long journeys.

In Cambodia I’d recommend:
Siem Reap - Angkor Wat and other temples, party place too for backpackers
Phnom Penh - killing fields and S21 jail, grim but I learnt a lot about Cambodia’s history
Kampot: cute little backpacker town by a river
Koh Rong Samloem: stunning island off the coast of Sihanoukville with the most perfect beach I have ever been on, crystal clear water

I’d stay 2-3 days each in the above places, if you have time. You can stay in really nice hostels with pools for cheap all over the country.

You can also get a bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh if you want to avoid flights, I did that.

I only spent a week in Vietnam so wouldn’t have as much information about it. Halong Bay is amazing though.

Thank you so much for this, gives me a great basis to work from, the more research I do the more amazing spots I see so this is great to narrow the search a little bit, very much appreciated and that beach sounds stunning!

I didn’t get any internal flights when travelling through Vietnam and Cambodia. Went through Vietnam north to south (Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh) all on the bus. Super easy and you can get a single ticket that lets you stop in all those places. Bear in mind some of the buses are sleepers and can be like 16 hours. I liked travelling that way but some people might not.

Then I think I got the bus from HCM to Phnom Penh, and used that as a hub to travel around a few places in Cambodia.

I'd say skip Cambodia (aside from Angkor Wat didn't really feel it that much) and spend your time in Vietnam (one of my fave countries). 2 weeks you could do Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sapa, Hoi an and Hue. I'd skip HCMC.

Going through a bit of a work/life crisis so I've decided to do the sensible thing of quitting my job to travel across Europe for three months nn

I know "Europe" is very broad but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially a good country/city to start off in, must dos, avoids etc.

she/her
Going through a bit of a work/life crisis so I've decided to do the sensible thing of quitting my job to travel across Europe for three months nn

I know "Europe" is very broad but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially a good country/city to start off in, must dos, avoids etc.
Lisbon in Portugal is a great city, I LOVED it. It has things to do, cute wine bars, and a generally really nice vibe. From spring onwards it should be good weather there too.

I also adore Italy and Croatia so I'd recommend travelling around there too, if you can fit it in. Some of the beaches around Split and Hvar in Croatia are just stunning.

Madrid in May is the BEST.

My favorite places to eat:

- La Taberna SanLucar: Typical Andaluza food (south of Spain), fried fish, shrimp and squid, all very delicious.
- Okafu: Tapas place, really tasty.
. Makkila: More fancy spanish food style, the place is very nice.
- Casa Macareno: Very Spanish decorated place, (they have a great menu for lunch).
- Cuatrodeocho: Spanish-Mediterranean food, a bit more expensive but excellent food.
- El perro y la galleta: A very cute and stylish place, with amazing croquetas.
- Pez Tortilla: The best place to eat the classic tortilla, with a variety of flavours.
- La Maruca: Spanish-Mediterranean food, very fancy but casual too, located in the Salamanca neighborhood.
- Mercado de San Miguel, is very famous among tourists, you can have vermouth and a pincho on the go, very crowded on the weekends, but it is worth the visit.

Places you MUST visit:
Plaza Mayor, The Royal Palace outskirts, Gran Via Avenue & Cibeles Square, Callao (Madrid's Time Square), Retiro Park, Plaza España, Puerta de Alcalá and El Matadero.

Bars:
- The most trendy bars are in La Latina and Malasaña neighbourhoods.
- The Ponzano street in the Chamberi neighbourhood is also full of nice, and a bit more fancy, bars.
- Ciriaco Brown is one of my favorite bars, is a bit expensive, but super nice and you will always find famous people there (Once in there I meet some actors from Stranger Things). (

I’ve booked a European trip in November and hitting up Lisbon and Zurich along the way - if anyone has any info on the weather at that time, things to do etc it would be much appreciated! We’ll be in Lisbon for three days and Zurich for two I think at the moment. Thank you in advance!

I’ve booked a European trip in November and hitting up Lisbon and Zurich along the way - if anyone has any info on the weather at that time, things to do etc it would be much appreciated! We’ll be in Lisbon for three days and Zurich for two I think at the moment. Thank you in advance!

Go to Jungfraujoch from Zurich and be prepared for it to be insanely expensive. A Sintra daytrip from Lisbon is definitely worth it.