Travel

I'm heading to Madrid, Barcelona, and Lisbon for the first time ever with a friend from Feb. 22nd - March 4th. She and I are more or less going in blind with a few acquaintances known in Barcelona who we're going to connect with. Any recommendations for food, the best areas to stay in, and even places to go out on the weekend are appreciated!

I am in love with Lisbon. Whenever I go I stay in Principe Real. Great places to eat, shop, easy to walk around to areas like Bairro Alto, Santa Catarina, Chiado, Baixa.

For going out on the weekend I like LuxFragil and Trumps. You're spoiled for food options in Lisbon but 100 Maneiras, Cervejaria Ramiro, Cantinho do Avillez are great. But there are so many options so experiment. So much to see in Lisbon. It's a city I love to walk in. Do a self-guided walking tour (https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon/alfama-walking-tour.html) of Alfama.

The challenge with Lisbon is time and energy. The nightlife is crazy late (expect to leave clubs at 7am, things start happening in clubs at about 2am) so that really eats into energy to do things in the day. Good thing the coffee is great. And on the outskirts of the city there are so many great options too like Sintra and Cascais.

So if it's your first time to Lisbon don't be too ambitious with planning lots to do. If it's your first time I'd just focus on the city centre and perhaps a day in Sintra. And leave room for changes in plans. You will get distracted when you're walking about as there's lots to see.

EDIT: I love shopping in The Feeting Room in Chiado. Also, Sunday afternoon stroll and shop in Lx Factory is great.

Last edited:
Going to be in Rio this weekend solo before my friend arrives, any PJ hunties have tips or nice spots I can hang out and potentially meet people?

Okay serious question, are there any precautions I need to take/things I need to be careful of if I'm staying in Manchester city centre? I'm aware that news is often sensationalistic but all I ever really hear about over here is the increase in knife crime/hate crimes/etc. So are there certain areas anyone recommends avoiding or certain precautions I could take to stay safe?

I might be overreacting thinking about this ddd but the last time I visited was 2013 (which was fine but also ages ago) so I thought I'd check on here just incase!

Last edited:
Okay serious question, are there any precautions I need to take/things I need to be careful of if I'm staying in Manchester city centre? I'm aware that news is often sensationalistic but all I ever really hear about over here is the increase in knife crime/hate crimes/etc. So are there certain areas anyone recommends avoiding or certain precautions I could take to stay safe?

I might be overreacting thinking about this ddd but the last time I visited was 2013 (which was fine but also ages ago) so I thought I'd check on here just incase!
I've always felt really safe in Manchester City centre to be honest when visiting and I have been incredibly drunk a few times

Yeah, echoing what other people have said, Manchester is pretty safe, as long as you’re not stupid. However, I do have to admit that Canal Street has become incredibly heteronormalized in the last few years, which can make things a little…uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone, I thought that would be the case! I'm pretty well travelled so I'm sure I'll be fine but just thought I'd check dd

I do have to admit that Canal Street has become incredibly heteronormalized in the last few years, which can make things a little…uncomfortable.
Oh no, I was worried about this. Not the hettys infesting my favourite location in Manchester! I'm still keen to visit though, hopefully it does still have some of the great atmosphere I found it to have the last time I visited in 2013.

I know it's a bit hard because this varies from person to person, but just looking for some advice. Would you say £2000 is enough spending money for two weeks in the UK? I'm not planning on going wild, just want some money for a few pub crawls and to catch up with some friends/family. My hotel has breakfast included so I will probably only dine out for dinner most days. The only touristy thing I'll be doing is maybe visiting the Coronation Street set (dd).

Last edited:
I know it's a bit hard because this varies from person to person, but just looking for some advice. Would you say £2000 is enough spending money for two weeks in the UK? I'm not planning on going wild, just want some money for a few pub crawls and to catch up with some friends/family. My hotel has breakfast included so I will probably only dine out for dinner most days. The only touristy thing I'll probably be doing is maybe visiting the Coronation Street set (dd).
Yes, it's enough and actually unless you're planning on clothes/records/tech shopping here on top of leisure stuff, probably a bit too much to be honest.

I'd say roughly £80-100 per day would give you enough to cover lunch and dinner/drinks out every day and have some cute spending money for touristy stuff left over.

Keep in mind we've moved towards card and contactless for a lot of stuff here so I wouldn't bring all of this in cash.

Yes, it's enough and actually unless you're planning on clothes/records/tech shopping here on top of leisure stuff, probably a bit too much to be honest.

I'd say roughly £80-100 per day would give you enough to cover lunch and dinner/drinks out every day and have some cute spending money for touristy stuff left over.

Keep in mind we've moved towards card and contactless for a lot of stuff here so I wouldn't bring all of this in cash.

Ooh okay, thanks! Yeah I'm not really planning on much shopping, I might get some Girls Aloud merch and visit HMV to check it out but that's about it. Oh and I've heard there's a shop near/on Canal Street with some Pride themed merch that I want to check out. But it's mostly just for the pub, meals out and Ubers dd.

Yeah I read about the cashless thing, I found an app called Wise where you send your money into it, it converts it and then they send out a physical card to you with pounds on it! It's funny because I read something else online that pubs prefer cash over there (but this must be out of date/pre-pandemic)

Thank you for the info, much appreciated!

she/her
Ooh okay, thanks! Yeah I'm not really planning on much shopping, I might get some Girls Aloud merch and visit HMV to check it out but that's about it. Oh and I've heard there's a shop near/on Canal Street with some Pride themed merch that I want to check out. But it's mostly just for the pub, meals out and Ubers dd.

Yeah I read about the cashless thing, I found an app called Wise where you send your money into it, it converts it and then they send out a physical card to you with pounds on it! It's funny because I read something else online that pubs prefer cash over there (but this must be out of date/pre-pandemic)

Yeah I second what @bestinase said - unless you're planning on a very bougie holiday or doing a lot of shopping, £100 a day would be more than enough.

You can add Wise to your Apple Wallet/Google Pay so you won't even need to use your card in public. But obviously take it because there are some places that are still cash only (although the sheer majority of places are card/contactless).