Travel

Going to Barcelona for the first time in February! Curious and excited. x

View attachment 48826
You'll love it! My top recommendation (in winter) would be to go up to Tibidabo on the cable car for the best view across the whole city. Takes an hour to get there, but worth it. Also make sure you go shopping/touristing in Gothico and Raval, but remember to watch your phone and wallet at all times dd.

He/they
Booked a trip to Tromsø in June, going to take part in the Midnight Sun marathon but got time to enjoy northern Norway too. Plenty of time before I go - any recommendations?

I'm planning a trip abroad for early June of this year and I'm unsure about where to go. I haven't been abroad since Covid and I'm thinking about a European city. I have my eyes on Lisbon, Barcelona, Berlin, Prague and Copenhagen. Never been to any of them before. Any ideas? I know they're all different great cities but what's the best in that time of the year?

she/her
I'm planning a trip abroad for early June of this year and I'm unsure about where to go. I haven't been abroad since Covid and I'm thinking about a European city. I have my eyes on Lisbon, Barcelona, Berlin, Prague and Copenhagen. Never been to any of them before. Any ideas? I know they're all different great cities but what's the best in that time of the year?
I absolutely loved Lisbon. Cute streets, easy to get around, nice food and restaurants, by the sea, affordable. And you could do a couple of day trips to places like Cascais or Belem. Weather should be nice in June too.

You can't really go wrong with any European capital/big city around June. Barcelona is especially stunning at that time of year and it'll probably be around 28-32, so not too hot. It's probably one of the cities with the biggest variety of things to do, and there's a great beach 25 mins away by train (in addition to the city beaches).

Vienna is also extremely chic, probably the most underrated destination in Europe. It's like all the best bits of Paris, Budapest and Milan in one, I spent two weeks there in September and fell in love with it. The weather is typically very warm, there are vineyards just outside the city where the locals go at sunset, and you can take a two hour train to the Alps and go hiking if you want nature.

I absolutely loved Lisbon. Cute streets, easy to get around, nice food and restaurants, by the sea, affordable. And you could do a couple of day trips to places like Cascais or Belem. Weather should be nice in June too.

Echoing comments on Lisbon. My favourite European city. Although not sure if I would classify Belem or Cascais as day trips as they're not far at all. Belem is about 15 minutes from the city centre and Cascais about 30 minutes.

Definitely do day trips as Portugal offers so much. Evora, Tomar, Comporta are great day trips. But to be honest I would stay overnight so as not to be rushed.

You can't really go wrong with any European capital/big city around June. Barcelona is especially stunning at that time of year and it'll probably be around 28-32, so not too hot. It's probably one of the cities with the biggest variety of things to do, and there's a great beach 25 mins away by train (in addition to the city beaches).

Vienna is also extremely chic, probably the most underrated destination in Europe. It's like all the best bits of Paris, Budapest and Milan in one, I spent two weeks there in September and fell in love with it. The weather is typically very warm, there are vineyards just outside the city where the locals go at sunset, and you can take a two hour train to the Alps and go hiking if you want nature.
Also the main cemetery in Vienna has a colony of wild Eurasian hamsters living there, and they're super cute.

Also this is a bit of a random q but best UK cities for really good zoos and aquariums (aquaria?)? Needs to be easily accessible by public transport. Is London Zoo really that good?? Has anyone been to the Birmingham Sealife Centre recently? I went there as a kid but have no idea how it holds up as an adult.

Also would love recommendations for UK botanic gardens other than Kew (although I should visit Kew again). Waiting for a PIP tribunal that I have a good chance of winning and getting a good chunk of backpaid money, so casually planning some nice nature-focused weekends away.

Also this is a bit of a random q but best UK cities for really good zoos and aquariums (aquaria?)? Needs to be easily accessible by public transport. Is London Zoo really that good?? Has anyone been to the Birmingham Sealife Centre recently? I went there as a kid but have no idea how it holds up as an adult.

Also would love recommendations for UK botanic gardens other than Kew (although I should visit Kew again). Waiting for a PIP tribunal that I have a good chance of winning and getting a good chunk of backpaid money, so casually planning some nice nature-focused weekends away.
I'm biased as it's my home city, but Liverpool could be a good option. I've put some ideas below but I am sure you could find plenty of things to do to occupy your time.

Chester Zoo and the Blue Planet Aquarium are accessible by public transport (Chester and Ellesmere Port stations), although you'd need to take a train and a bus.

In terms of botanic gardens, I'm not too sure, but there are beautiful parks, such as Sefton Park near St Michael's station. Southport Botanic Gardens near Churchtown are small but quite lovely. There's also the nature reserve near Freshfields station, which has amazing sand dunes and red squirrels. Finally, there is the Another Place art installation near Hall Road, where you can walk for miles along the coast overlooking the estuary. These are all accessible via the Merseyrail network but you'd then need to walk for a while or take a bus, I think.

Edinburgh has a decent zoo, decent botanic garden and is 15 mins on the train from the national aquarium in Queensferry, so you could triple up and see all of them on one trip if you wanted.

London Zoo is really good, yes, and pretty easy to get to as it's right in zone 1 of the city.

Beyond gagged to be flying over to the UK from Canada for the Girls Aloud show. Staying in Manchester (7 nights) but planning to visit (half/day trips?) to Liverpool, Northeast Wales and maybe York/Leeds! Anyone have any tips or considerations? I really appreciate it!

Beyond gagged to be flying over to the UK from Canada for the Girls Aloud show. Staying in Manchester (7 nights) but planning to visit (half/day trips?) to Liverpool, Northeast Wales and maybe York/Leeds! Anyone have any tips or considerations? I really appreciate it!
Manchester is very well connected so it's a good base to explore the north. Keep in mind our rail system is a mess at the moment so just keep an eye on National Rail for information about strikes and engineering works.

You can do Liverpool in a day (or it's easy enough to get back and forth from if you wanted to see more), and York is really pretty (as is the train ride across the Pennines). If you want nice historical places then somewhere like Hebden Bridge is really cute and queer friendly. For a trip to Wales coast look around Llandudno if the weather's nice. I'd maybe consider an overnighter somewhere like Edinburgh, which you can get up to easily if you'll already be in York.

Manchester's fun but for me I'd probably max out at two days from a tourist point of view.

What day are you going to GA? Come party with me after!

Manchester is very well connected so it's a good base to explore the north. Keep in mind our rail system is a mess at the moment so just keep an eye on National Rail for information about strikes and engineering works.

You can do Liverpool in a day (or it's easy enough to get back and forth from if you wanted to see more), and York is really pretty (as is the train ride across the Pennines). If you want nice historical places then somewhere like Hebden Bridge is really cute and queer friendly. For a trip to Wales coast look around Llandudno if the weather's nice. I'd maybe consider an overnighter somewhere like Edinburgh, which you can get up to easily if you'll already be in York.

Manchester's fun but for me I'd probably max out at two days from a tourist point of view.

Thanks so much for your tips! I'm definitely into more historical looking places; I hadn't heard of Hebden Bridge but it looks so cute I'll have to check it out! I was planning on visiting Llandudno and Conwy together as they seem quite close? Would you recommend York over Leeds, or do both?

I typically wouldn't stay in a big city for so long (Manchester for the 7-nights) but I found a well-priced room so I'm okay with it. I used to live in London for many years, so I'm excited just to see/visit familiar shops and restaurants again. If you have any other tips on places to visit/try I'm all ears - thanks so much!

What day are you going to GA? Come party with me after!

I'm going to all three nights in Manchester! Keep in touch closer to the concerts that could be great fun!

She/Her/Queen
I'm staying in Manchester for 7 nights too for GA if it all goes well!

If anyone has recommendations on what to do etc., please let a girl know. It'll be my first time there.

Also, I'm doing Croatia this year but can't decide between going to Zagreb or Dubrovnik? I'm definitely going to Split.

I'm staying in Manchester for 8 nights for Girls Aloud (then Wigan for a week, there's fuck all there but it's where my family/friends I grew up with live dd)

I'd love to meet up with some of you for lunch/dinner/drinks on Canal Street if anyone's up for it. Either way the only touristy thing I'm doing in Manchester is visiting the Coronation Street set, the rest of the time will be spent on Canal Street fff so just hit me up if you're free and want to drink!

I'd also love some recommendations and places to avoid (G-A-Y gets dreadful reviews but I'm wondering if it really is that bad, I haven't been since 2013). I'm more of a pub/daydrinking type of guy rather than a clubber nn. Via looks cool?

Hello!

Going to Munich for the first time on August to see Adele, will be there for three days.

Any recommendations for places to visit, hotels, restaurants and bars/clubs?

Thanks!