Troye Sivan - Something to Give Each Other

He/They
Oh and stop with the hun, we are not huns.
tumblr_n3s8haMkxM1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Also it seems Ms XCX needs to stick to releasing bangers and not be talking over queer voices, let alone attempting to compare them to the homophobic one's coming constantly for Sam Smith.
Two completely different things, I can't believe whichever twink lay next to her at the pool she ran that tweet through first let her press send.

In my past life as a white twink who loved clubbing, I recall most of the men I was out dancing and experiencing that special queer joy with being a variety of body sizes and particularly there being lots of beautiful fat people with me! That is the community I remember and celebrate when I listen to queer bangers like Rush.

I also heard from so so so many of these beloved friends and chosen family members that they always felt excluded and unwanted in queer spaces cause of their size. The most common form of bullying in schools is not sexuality or race but weight- the intersection of those making it even worse. If Troye thinks this body dysmorphia video is a love letter he’s much dumber than I thought. And if all y’all who came at me back when I was the canary in the twink goldmine still haven’t figured it out, do the rest of us a favor and either unfollow the thread or read a god damn book

In my past life as a white twink who loved clubbing, I recall most of the men I was out dancing and experiencing that special queer joy with being a variety of body sizes and particularly there being lots of beautiful fat people with me! That is the community I remember and celebrate when I listen to queer bangers like Rush.

I also heard from so so so many of these beloved friends and chosen family members that they always felt excluded and unwanted in queer spaces cause of their size. The most common form of bullying in schools is not sexuality or race but weight- the intersection of those making it even worse. If Troye thinks this body dysmorphia video is a love letter he’s much dumber than I thought. And if all y’all who came at me back when I was the canary in the twink goldmine still haven’t figured it out, do the rest of us a favor and either unfollow the thread or read a god damn book

karen-huger-rhop.gif

Some of this forum's members liking and engaging with content about the discourse being dumb... oh baby.

This (while obviously very different circumstances) feels like during early COVID when people who you assumed were likeminded had the wildest takes.

he / him
Really, really not liking this rhetoric of "well did you expect the producers to go to the trouble of actively seeking out fat people to cast in the video?". No, I didn't expect that, because fat people already exist in public life. They're not hiding under the bushes like fucking elves, there's no extra labour involved - they audition for things just like thin people do. The fact that there's at least several dozen people in the video and yet the representation of a significant portion of the population is so low suggests that the extra labour has in fact been put into excluding those kinds of people. Why shouldn't they have put fat people in the video? Or at least, why is it forgivable that they didn't? Some of you should really ask yourselves those questions and have a good think about the answer.

Quite enjoying the song though.

Pin this to the damn top and just post it again whenever someone rolls in with a new take

I’ve been thinking about this issue since my last post and you’re 100% right, when I came out and started making gay friends, hanging out in Manchesters gay village, the first thing that became apparent was how judgemental the gays are towards overweight people, even the slightest bit of a belly could be deemed fat and unattractive, it’s something I’ve always struggled with, as someone who has yo-yoed in weight many times over the years, it’s actually my biggest insecurity.
So I get the criticism now and understand it, I’m not expecting a celebration of people of all sizes in the music video but the fact everyone is stick thin and has a six pack speaks volumes.

Yeah I dunno the video wouldn't have raised that many red flags to me if I didn't have the official Troye Certified Lore prefacing it. Definitely lowered my enjoyment of what is otherwise a pretty fucking good music video.

Rush on Spotify:

Global: #23 - 2,630,495 (up 112)

Estonia: #9 - 3,876 (up 27)
Australia: #12 - 126,052 (up 186)
Latvia: #12 - 3,326 (up 58)
Lithuania: #13 - 6,608 (up 42)
Ireland: #16 - 22,070 (up 39)
Bulgaria: #20 - 4,379 (up 51)
USA: #22 - 668,590 (up 110)
UK: #25 - 171,066 (up 59)

Canada: #25 - 99,413 (up 142)
Poland: #28 - 83,700 (up 106)
Singapore: #31 - 19,145 (new)
New Zealand: #37 - 13,139 (new)
Hong Kong: #38 - 10,952 (new)
Romania: #44 - 9,161 (up 127)
South Korea: #51 - 9,665 (new)
Slovakia: #52 - 4,809 (up 135)
Czechia: #53 - 13,887 (up 120)
Denmark: #54 - 22,011 (new)
Ukraine: #55 - 8,557 (new)
Sweden: #60 - 48,205 (new)
Portugal: #60 - 17,630 (up 70)
Taiwan: #61 - 19,236 (new)
Austria: #61 - 12,758 (new)
Iceland: #61 - 1,497 (new)
Belgium: #63 - 14,970 (new)
UAE: #64 - 3,390 (new)
Switzerland: #65 - 13,139 (new)
Norway: #66 - 20,434 (new)
Hungary: #69 - 9,719 (up 98)
Netherlands: #75 - 47,495 (new)
Finland: #77 - 17,828 (new)
Germany: #84 - 139,901 (new)
Venezuela: #126 - 4,433 (new)
Saudi Arabia: #126 - 3,525 (new)
Brazil: #137 - 218,008 (up 16)
Costa Rica: #149 - 6,488 (new)
Greece: #153 - 11,490 (new)
Israel: #159 - 6,428 (new)
Kazakhstan: #167 - 2,632 (new)
Malaysia: #168 - 14,867 (new)
Spain: #183 - 67,384 (new)
Italy: #197 - 55,110 (new)
South Africa: #198 - 6,480 (new)
France: #199 - 51,971 (new)

Angel Baby on Spotify:
Malaysia: #106 - 19,099 (down 1) [673rd consecutive day]
Singapore: #130 - 10,148 (up 16) [673rd consecutive day]
Indonesia: #198 - 113,309 (down 3) [631st consecutive day]
Philippines: #198 - 73,098 (re-entry) [it had spent 557 days in the chart, it only fell out for 1 day before returning]

Strawberries & Cigarettes on Spotify:
Philippines: #185 - 76,364 (down 25) [925th consecutive day] (taste!)

Not that the criticism about the lack of body variety in the video isn't valid, but did Troye actually ever say the video was supposed to be "a love letter to the community" like people keep repeating? Because all I can see is that one tweet saying one of the album's themes is community, and like, not only is that about the album, not the song/video, it's literally not even referring to the LGBTQ+ community specifically, just the sense of community, which is completely different. It's just a bit weird so much of the criticism seems to be based on Troye supposedly saying something which, as far as I can tell, he never actually did.

he/him
Not that the criticism about the lack of body variety in the video isn't valid, but did Troye actually ever say the video was supposed to be "a love letter to the community" like people keep repeating? Because all I can see is that one tweet saying one of the album's themes is community, and like, not only is that about the album, not the song/video, it's literally not even referring to the LGBTQ+ community specifically, just the sense of community, which is completely different. It's just a bit weird so much of the criticism seems to be based on Troye supposedly saying something which, as far as I can tell, he never actually did.
The issue is that he’s mentioned community after a video excluding a lot of said community. That gives the impression that the “community” he’s referring to is excluding a lot of people, if that makes any sense? (I know what I mean but ADHD brain)

The issue is that he’s mentioned community after a video excluding a lot of said community. That gives the impression that the “community” he’s referring to is excluding a lot of people, if that makes any sense? (I know what I mean but ADHD brain)

I mean, even if you think it "gives that impression", it's literally not what he's talking about ff. The album description basically amounts to "it's about living life, having fun and partying with my besties", it's not trying to be anything deeper or more meaningful than that.