True Detective - Season 2! | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

True Detective - Season 2!

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Big Bang, Jun 23, 2015.

1. I finally watched the finale.

One of the best episodes of TV I've seen in years. Oh my God. Thrilling, extremely well paced, incredible acting - even from Vince! He turned it on for one episode! I'm not sure he redeemed himself but still. There was such an incredible energy to it. It almost felt like the writer envisioned the finale and worked backwards on the series from there. Ultimates I think the actual story was utterly secondary to the relationship between Velcoro and Bezzerides, and even though there was heavy signposting and we knew it couldn't end well, I was still rooting for them. Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams deserve awards for this.

I was devastated when they showed Velcoro's phone and the voice clip hadn't sent. Devastated.

2. I just limped through the final ep. My God what an overplotted, messy turkey. After the problematic end to the first season I started to suspect that Pizzolatto might be in over his head working without a writing staff. This second season confirmed to me that it was director Cary Joji Fukunaga who was the true genius behind the first.

Beyond the ridiculously over complicated plot and the unconvincing and oversold dourness, much of the dialogue felt unintentionally comic. Part of what made the McConaughey character in season 1 so captivating was, yes, Pizzolatto's strange, poetic dialogue. But when he has multiple characters speaking in some odd, clipped Haiku-like form (Vince Vaughn's gangster, his wife, Farrell) the effect becomes laughable. I thought the strongest episode, by far, was the penultimate Black Maps and Motel Rooms which happened to be directed by the brilliant Daniel Attias, who has directed some of the best episodes of The Sopranos, The Wire, Big Love, Six Feet Under, The Killing, Deadwood and The Americans. In fact, if anyone considers doing another one writer-one director project again, Attias would be a great candidate.

BTW, what on earth was up with Kelly Reilly as the gangster's wife? I think Gilbert Gottfried squints less than she does. I kept wondering if they were always making her look directly at the sun during her scenes.

Beginner likes this.
  3. I've just finished episode 6 and I'm not impressed. Thank god there's only 2 episodes left.

Beginner likes this.
  4. Good news: Ep 7 is one of the best
    Bad news: Not good enough to turn this season around

Square likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.