U.S. Politics | Page 1260 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

1. He's one of those right wing conspiracy nuts who spouts nonsense about false flags. His notoriety blows my mind.

sapnu puas and Wuming01 like this.
  2. Yeah I was gonna post the Samantha Bee news. The conservatives came out with their knives blazing. Nothing Sam said was wrong. Fuck Ivanka. She has the power to stop this policy. Migrant children are literally being put in custody with human traffickers because Trump ratcheted up an Obama-era policy.

You don't get to make family issues the cornerstone of your White House role and stand silent while something this abhorrent is happening.

The word was vulgar but Ivanka's a pretty white lady who will be completely unhurt in the grand scheme of things.

3. It was also clear, to me at least when I watched the video, that Sam was more shaken about this story than normal. It clearly weighed on her and I could visibly see how much more upset she was. It probably hits closer to home as a mother herself.

4. Not only that but a woman calling another woman a c**t just... isn't that big of a deal.

It's not at all analogous to a white woman calling a black woman an ape, as much as Trumpies would like it to be.

5. I mean... I'm probably going to say "feckless cunt" more often.

6. And it's not like she was spreading mistruths...

7. Yeah at the end of the day, it's up to other women to judge whether Samantha was justified in using such a charged word against another (white and privileged) woman. It's not really my place to make that call.

But I do feel like I can definitively say that in no way is this situation comparable to a white woman using a racially charged derogatory comparison against a black woman because the power dynamics just aren't equal. White women have a level of privilege that aren't afforded to black women.

But I fear I might be veering on the edge of mansplaining so let me just hush.

8. 2018:

Trump told reporters Thursday aboard Air Force One that Martha Stewart was "to a certain extent ... harshly and unfairly treated.... And she used to be my biggest fan in the world ... before I became a politician." He is reportedly thinking about pardoning her. (James Comey was the person who prosecuted her, of course.)

2006:

Dear Martha:

It’s about time you started taking responsibility for your failed version of The Apprentice. Your performance was terrible in that the show lacked mood, temperament and just about everything else a show needs for success. I knew it would fail as soon as I first saw it – and your low ratings bore me out.

Between your daughter, with her one word statements, your letter writing and, most importantly, your totally unconvincing demeanor, it never had a chance – much as your daytime show is not exactly setting records.

Despite this, I did nothing but positively promote you. Your only response to your failed show was that, “I thought that I was supposed to fire Donald Trump!” You knew this was not true – NBC would never fire me when The Apprentice was, for a good period of time, the #1 show on television and my recent finale, where I hired Randal, was the #2 show for the week, easily beating the competing finale of Amazing Race and others. Even Mark Burnett said, “Thank God that didn’t happen,” when asked about firing Donald Trump.

Essentially, you made this firing up just as you made up your sell order of ImClone. The only difference is – that was more obvious. Putting your show on the air was a mistake for everybody – especially NBC.

In any event, my great loyalty to you has gone totally unappreciated.

Sincerely,
    Donald J. Trump

P.S. Be careful or I will do a syndicated daytime show, perhaps called The Boardroom, and further destroy the meager ratings you already have!

9. Y'all... I shared this on facebook and asked if any conservative friends could translate this for me. I can't actually believe quite a few have commented trying to explain what he really meant or how he was trying to appease the North Koreans, etc. The delusion even in the face of the man stepping in it is incredible.

10. I think Donald Trump is now a cult.

11. People will swallow all sorts of shit if it means their side is 'winning'. Republicans are happy they are in power and are sticking it to liberals, even if the head of their party is Donald fucking Trump.

I only wish Democrats were as ruthless and unscrupulous.

12. Bill Maher interviewed Bernie Sanders on Real Time last night and Bernie said “We need to go into Trump country and show them a real progressive agenda... The Democratic message is that we need a government that represents working families and not billionaires. An agenda that says healthcare is a right, not a privilege. An agenda that speaks to the young people and says that we should make public colleges and universities tuition free and lower student debt.”

Did I miss the part where Hillary ignored all of that?? I mean, maybe it wasn’t 100% word for word her platform but it sure seemed like that agenda was working for the largest group of voters that voted in the 2016 presidential election. They just didn’t live in the right combination of states. Shouldn’t the focus be getting the voters who agree with you to turn out for elections instead of trying to convert people who clearly have drank the Kool-Aid?

13. Also I love this thread

14. How is that not what he's saying? Governments can't be built from the top-down, but bottom-up. You have to build from the towns and municipalities upwards. Clinton's campaign was an example of how aimless a campaign can be if the rot is so deep on the local level because there was simply no presence on the local level for years that there's so much disaffection and disillusionment.

Wisconsin local races might not be as glamorous as presidential races, but if you ignore those races and people as a party long enough, people become disillusioned, and then conservatives gain such footing in said local communities that you have no chance in the presidential race, especially when you never set foot in said state, etc.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  15. It seemed to me like Sanders was highlighting the platform positions as if they were a secret formula that no one had figured out yet, and that these would surely resonate with prior Trump voters... except that many of them had already heard Clinton proposing these positions and still voted another way anyway. I felt like Sanders’ (Sanders’s?) main suggestion was not that Democrats needed to build up from the local level, but that there was a swath of people ready to have their minds changed, and Dems will win them over by presenting the same ideas they had in 2016 that “didn’t work.”

I’m not smart enough to analyze this though, this is why I should just stick to posting Melania memes.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  16. Is there not?

About half of Americans who could vote just... didn't in 2016. Are you suggesting not voting isn't a sign of disillusionment in the system? If half a population doesn't have faith in a political system, that'd seem like a huge issue of importance to me, and I worry it's not to Democrats.

All politicians are failing the majority of America (since the entire attitude about both candidates was both being untrustworthy) and many aren't even bothering to engage with most of America.

You can't just spit out popular policy and hope it works if people don't trust you and don't think you care for them and about them. Do you think establishment Democrats have worked to make people feel cared for and about? (And "more than Republicans have" isn't a really solid answer).

A key part you're erasing from Sanders statement was "go" and, if you must bring up 2016, then yes, a key thing Clinton failed at in doing was "going" in the first place. Local races had their entire funding system sucked dry for her campaign and then she couldn't be bothered to assist people in desperate need of help on the ground, especially when she refused to even set foot in some states. Engagement on the local level is important. Democrats haven't been engaging with their base for many years.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  17. I was just trying to highlight that, in that part of the interview, it sounded to me like Sanders was specifically advocating for trying to convert Trump voters, without any focus on converting the voters who stayed home. Sure, some may have buyers’ remorse for how they voted in 2016, but I don’t know if that alone would be enough to tip the scales. Maybe I misinterpreted his point though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  18. Could you not imagine that the same disillusionment that makes people stay at home makes people in times of desperation do things they normally would not?

I mean, the clip is right here:

And the very part you quoted about Trump county at 6:30 included Sanders directly talking about political disillusionment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.