U.S. Politics | Page 1663 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3Xs

3Xs

The current President of the United States making a horrible spelling error on Twitter and it being reported is not the same as Time Magazine having a presidential candidate on their cover under the headline "first family." One is reporting on an objective fact, the other is projecting an image of Pete as President based on literally nothing. Not the will of the people, certainly.

And so that's what I mean when I say "disregard for the democratic process." We're told by the media who to like, and their image is purposely softened by parading their spouses or focusing on identity or foreign language ability or other things that have nothing to do with their actual positions.

And yes, there are politicians who I support like AOC who have been "celebrified" (see her upcoming Netflix special) to a certain extent, but they actually have the policy positions and the popular support underneath that. Conversely, it's when image is used as a facade for politicians who have absolute dust as their policy platform that the "celbrification" of politics starts to erode our democracy. And so in this way, Buttigieg actually shares a lot with Trump.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Mr.Arroz, Kuhleezi, Jones322 and 3 others like this.
  2. Yeah, I saw yesterday on the news that the unemployment rate is at its lowest since 1969. It also seems most people vote based on the economy.

3. 3Xs

3Xs

Yes, unfortunately, most people don't understand economics (I don't blame them) and have been fooled into thinking that high GDP and low unemployment (which doesn't even tell the whole story - "However, the fall was due to a large number of people - 490,000 - leaving the labour force during April") means that they are personally better off.

If we look at a factor that actually has more of a direct impact on the average person - like wage growth - we see that "the smaller pool of available workers didn’t translate to much higher pay: Workers only got an average hourly pay raise of 6 cents in April. A month earlier, wages rose a meager 4 cents. The new jobs report shows that the US economy is continuing to expand, but without middle- and working-class families seeing much of the benefit."

Democratic candidates need to stop focusing on the former and strongly emphasize the latter.

4. Yeah I think we're all going to the Mike Pence Concentration Camp for Girls after Trump gets re-elected in 2020.

5. The ‘Johnny’ dorm is gonna be a bit litty eh?

VivaForever and johnny_tsunami like this.
  6. The number of Dems joining the race kinda proves the right's narrative about the "swamp" and career politicians. I mean, Republicans are worse, but...read the room.

7. I can't wait for the next season of Slasher!

Kuhleezi likes this.
  8. I still think Trump will lose, his win was by such a small margin in three states that despite a good economy, I think enough will have turned against him and he still loses.

Still, the trauma of 2016 still lingers.

aboutyounow and jtm like this.
  9. jtm

jtm

Knocking Down the House is on Netflix now. AOC is such a treasure but all of the four women portrayed would have been great.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  10. Does the thread believe any of these “all presidential candidates must release their tax returns or else they’re not on the ballot” state initiatives will go anywhere? I assume Trump wouldn’t win California (for example) in a general election, but I saw a chart somewhere which posited that he still needs blue state support to earn enough delegates to clinch the nomination.

Also, out of curiosity, has Trump *gained* a sizable fan base in the past few years? Is there a pool of MAGA converts looming somewhere? I would have to imagine there are more people who supported him in 2016 but have seen the light than there are people who didn’t support him in 2016 but have seen the darkness...

11. I. Am. Cackling.

12. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Look I’m sorry I basically only come in here to harp on this but who the fuck is doing his graphic design and what candidate do they actually work for

NEED LICENSE
    DRIVE CAR
    SHOULD ONE
    OWN GUN

13. Why is this making me think of the episode of Always Sunny where Dee and Dennis try to buy an AR-15

14. Kamala collapsing the most because Biden took almost half of her share...

Biden really shaping up to be the nom and handing Trump 4 more years...

15. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I just feel like Biden is going to get washed in the debates? Anyone else think so? Maybe they won't matter.

16. Biden is polling the best against Trump though.

I’ll take pessimism over Biden being the nominee and the lost opportunity for a progressive agenda or pessimism over Trump getting re-elected but both feel a little contradictory at this current point in time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.