U.S. Politics | Page 1665 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Let’s keep up the momentum, girls

2. I don’t want to watch it. Anyone wanna provide details under a spoiler tag?

3. It's not graphic.
    It is however, appalling and unnerving. Assuming I saw the right clip, it's a POV perspective from Sandra being shouted at by Brian Encinia after he opener her door and threatens to "light [her] up" after she kept calm and rightfully questioned his aggressiveness because of failure to signal. She then gets out of the car, and he gets mad at her when he notices she's been filming. Then she walks for a second, and the clip ends.

4. Thanks. Disgusting but not surprising.

fancygreen likes this.
  5. Splinter:

We all know that our president is a terrible businessman, but information about his federal income tax returns obtained by the New York Times shows that he is even worse than previously thought. Between the years of 1985 and 1994, Trump lost an astonishing $1.17 billion.

In fact, year after year, Mr. Trump appears to have lost more money than nearly any other individual American taxpayer. The Times found when it compared his results with detailed information the I.R.S. compiles on an annual sampling of high-income earners. His core business losses in 1990 and 1991 — more than $250 million each year — were more than double those of the nearest taxpayers in the I.R.S. information for those years.

President Deals!!!

The plus side of all these losses for Trump was that he wasn’t required to pay income tax for eight out of the ten years surveyed by the Times. But that respite still didn’t make up for his massive losses.

The Times still wasn’t able to obtain Trump’s actual returns, just information about what was in them. They then used publicly available IRS information on high earners to match what they knew about Trump’s returns and confirm the information.

The White House’s response to the Times report has been odd, to say the least. First, a senior official issued a statement that alleged that Trump knows that the tax code is broken because he himself didn’t have to pay taxes.

“The president got massive depreciation and tax shelter because of large-scale construction and subsidized developments. That is why the president has always scoffed at the tax system and said you need to change the tax laws. You can make a large income and not have to pay large amount of taxes,” the official said.

Later, Trump lawyer Charles Harder told the Times that the information was “demonstrably false,” and that the Times’ report “about the president’s tax returns and business from 30 years ago are highly inaccurate.”

“IRS transcripts, particularly before the days of electronic filing, are notoriously inaccurate,” Harder added, without listing any specific inaccuracies.

Mark J. Mazur, a former director of research at the IRS, says this isn’t true. Mazur told the Times that transcripts are in fact accurate summaries of tax returns.

There’s plenty of other fun details in the Times report, like the millions of dollars Trump made (and then lost) on the stock market in the late ‘80s by threatening to take over companies and then backing out, or the staggering losses he accrued each year buying hotels and buildings that never made a profit, which sometimes added up to hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

6. sijdhfgiufhjgsdklfjsfklgjflkdjb omg

(he's cute too tbh)

7. It's so strange! If the Mueller report totally exonerates you, then why would you need to assert executive privilege over the full report, Donny??

Honestly someone just needs to leak the damn thing already, I'll be the first in line to donate to their GoFundMe for legal representation.

Or what if we organized a well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, to obtain the report?

Or what if we just went on strike? I mean it seems to me like taxes are an unfair overreach of the government, so I assert privilege over my money. That's logic that works nowadays, right?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    AshleyKerwin and inevitable like this.

8. I..... don't know whether to be glad some of these secret centrists are finally going to work to start chipping away at Biden's mountain (inadvertently making the clearest path for Sanders), or shocked at how blatant they are in basically admitting their progressivism was pandering and nothing more that they're already planning on disavowing.

9. I know nothing matters anymore but 1/2 of Hans & Fritz is on notice.

Didn’t Schiff already do this though?

Last edited: May 8, 2019

10. White people can't be trusted in any power level

11. Egregious. Also that study (about speaking/reading and childhood development) has been refuted. He's really out here peddling some conservative, Hertiage Foundation trash. Wow.

ohnostalgia, K94, acl and 11 others like this.

12. Whoever the Democrats pick...christ they need to work day and night to get him out.

nooniebao and Ashling92 like this.
  13. 3Xs

3Xs

Marianne is less than 1,000 away from hitting 65,000 individual donors!

14. What is that supposed to even refer to?

15. Yath!

16. Some (presumably alt-right) meme or something. I just can't believe his actual campaign is peddling it. There are other tweets requesting people join Mitch's "Cartel." Like...the hypocrisy, the delusions of grandeur, the desperate attempt to construct charisma, the bizarre need to stan mediocrity.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  17. Good summary from New York:

You can thank West Virginia senatorial candidate and coal magnate Don Blankenship for Senate Majority Leader McConnell’s bizarre nickname “Cocaine Mitch.” Blankenship — who served a year in prison for conspiring to violate federal safety standards after 29 miners were killed at his company’s site in 2010 — pulled out the moniker during his bid for the Republican senate primary last year, referring to an incident in 2014 when a cargo vessel owned by McConnell’s father-in-law’s company was found leaving Colombia with 90 pounds of cocaine on board.

Pinning this on McConnell is laughable, which is probably why the senator has embraced the phrase as a fundraising tool. On Wednesday, ThinkProgress reported that, for a $35 donation, McConnell is selling T-shirts of a faceless figure surrounded by a cloud of powder on the front, and “Team Mitch Cartel Member” on the back. (The figure bears a similarity to promotional material for the Netflix series Narcos.)

If the T-shirts are a tactic to play off the momentum of an absurd political moment, they appear to ignore the on-the-ground reality for an alarming number of Kentucky residents. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the state had the third-highest age-adjusted rates of death by drug overdose in 2017. That year, Kentucky had a total of 1,566 drug overdoses. According to Kentucky’s Office of Drug Control Policy, at least 51 of those deaths were due to cocaine.

McConnell has also painted himself as a leader in the fight against opioid abuse. His website features a page on McConnell’s work on the “drug epidemic,” listing major events in the senator’s efforts to combat opioid use, including “Senator McConnell Welcomes White House ‘Drug Czar’ to Kentucky.” “I make it a priority to invite Drug Czars to come here, so national policymakers can hear directly from those on the frontline of our fight against opioid and substance abuse,” McConnell said, announcing the visit.

As ThinkProgress notes, the shirts are tone deaf for a second reason: McConnell is a strong supporter of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the deportation arm of the Department of Homeland Security which pursues cartel members and those involved in drug trafficking. In a July 2018 op-ed for The Courier-Journal, McConnell criticized those calling for more oversight of ICE, which has been accused of abusive policies, and those calling for the agency to be abolished, praising its efforts to halt drug deaths and murders by cartels.

HorseTears and AshleyKerwin like this.

18. We already know some counties were offered exemptions and special funding for things for votes, they were taking Representatives in closed rooms right up until the vote happened. This latest legislative session was an absolute disaster on all fronts, a race to the bottom.

AshleyKerwin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.