U.S. Politics | Page 1945 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

1. I'm backing Bernie, but Warren somehow edged him when I did the quiz.

2. McSally feels threatened and is trying to push herself into the Trumpster fray. If you saw her talking about the situation on Fox News last night, it’s so obvious she’s grifting. She knows Mark Kelly is close to snatching her wig and she hopes making an appeal to the national Trump base will save her ass.

3. I don't totally get how this is incoherent since she's treating racial prejudice as a bug rather than a feature of a system she, I guess, believes in to some degree. I don't agree (and "racially tinged" is...a laugh), but her point is coherent. Bernie tends to take the same position too (re: life in jail as a greater punishment).

Is the alternative rehabilitation-only? Not trying to be shady, just curious what that would look like.

BricksAndStrings likes this.
  4. That stupid poll had Warren, Klobuchar and Buttigieg as my top candidates. On what fucking earth?

5. Love choice! Freedom! America!

6. TBH some of the questions and answer options were a little poorly structured

7. Leaving someone to die in prison because they'll suffer more for their crime is not any more humane than capital punishment, and that's where the line of thinking is incoherent for me. I appreciate anyone opposing the death penalty, but that justification is weird to me. In Spain, someone might only spend 10 to 15 years in prison for homicide – because they actually focus on rehabilitation.

The alternative doesn't have to be rehabilitation only, but if we could focus on rehabilitation at all in this country, that would be great. As it is now, our prisons are too motivated by profit (private prisons, prison labor aka slavery). Focusing on mass incarceration and the prison industrial complex and actually restoring humanity (and voting rights!) to prisoners is a start. Maybe we could close prisons because we don't have enough bodies to fill them a la the Netherlands!

A long term goal would obviously be the abolition of prisons, but our country and culture are clearly not there yet. I'm glad Bernie and Liz both advocate criminal justice and police reform. I'm also glad that Bernie supports restoring voting rights to all prisoners even while incarcerated. I hope it's just the start.

8. Thank you! The point about rehabilitation at all is helpful to me (and I agree since there's virtually none at the moment). I figured the alternative was rehab-only, and then I get hung up on what to do with the D*lan Ro*fs of the world, even though people like him probably make up only a one hundredth of a percent of the full prison population.

9. I am still chuckling to myself over the revelation that this Lev Parnas character, who Trump says he does not know, WORKED FOR FRED TRUMP DURING THE SAME TIME PERIOD AS DID HIS SON DONALD.
    But yeah. Impossible. Never met the guy.

11. I love how right-wingers always are concerned about sexism when it comes to the likes of Sarah Palin and Martha McSally, but deny it exists for any other woman or that it is an issue in society.

Like how they love to accuse every woman in the #metoo movement of being liars.

I'll be voting for Kelly. I don't see McSally winning, she's too flighty, and AZ voters know it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  12. The lengths Ryan Grim goes in order to frame Warren basically recanting the story to as many people as possible who would listen for a year as somehow not making her at fault at all for it getting out... ddddd. Sis. The stannery. I've followed Ryan all election season and he genuinely likes both Bernie & Liz (with a slight bias for the latter), but it's time to let this unity ticket dream go.

Their paths are not some destined intertwining. They are/were friendly colleagues with a nice handful of similar goals - more than most soulless political ghouls in DC - but they didn't even spend 2016 on the same path. Warren refused to endorse Bernie and was focused more on getting her hands on the levers of a future Clinton administration, while Bernie was busy movement-building across the country.

At this point, Warren's camp has been entirely too antagonistic to Bernie's to ever entertain any kind of VP position. Let alone, outside of everything, she actually wouldn't bring much to a Bernie ticket. Sanders struggles with 65+s and someone like Barbara Lee feels like a solid obvious choice at this point.

13. The fact I thought this was legit nñ

Mr.Arroz, Remorque, citoig and 18 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.