U.S. Politics | Page 2091 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

1. This has been happening the entire thread and it’s like PopJustice’s own little version of the media created Bernie bro narrative. I’m annoyed that the mods bought into it but I hope @Sanctuary keeps speaking truth.

I feel bad for Elizabeth Warren supporters who bought into her bullshit, but mostly I feel bad for poor people and young people, whose votes have been suppressed. I feel bad for the marginalized people who have been targeted and harmed by Trump’s rhetoric the most— the people whose choice for president HAD to be stopped by a consolidation of the political and consultant class in concert with a consent manufacturing media simply because that president would have raised taxes on their corporate owners ever so slightly so that everyone in this country might have healthcare.

But anyway:

Vote for Bernie! xoxoxo

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  2. What's so frustrating is while I don't agree with it at all, I can at least sort of understand a lot of Democrats logic for voting for a 'moderate' or whatever. But fucking BIDEN?! Like, he is terrible at debating, old as shit, has dementia, tells voters on the street NOT to vote for him, and stands for nothing.

What a fucking mess. Unless there's a major recession (possible, to be fair), I can see Trump walking this.

3. 3X’s, your post really resonated with me to the point where I feel like I must once again (in a rare occurrence) share my feelings.

I myself also feel no reason to vote come November, as irresponsible and petty as that may sound. But as others have pointed out, why would I? Under Trump and Biden things would be the same for my life. I would still not be able to have affordable health care. I still would have years of student loan debt to pay off. I still would live in fear of getting shot every time I go outside. And neither candidate would work to promote racial and gender equality in American society. The only people who benefit are the members of the upper class who use me and other young people as gears in their money generating machines. Sending us into debt for basic necessities. Abusing and overworking us. Calling us entitled when we ask for things that are basic rights in other countries.

Some of you may recall that in my other post I wrote about how I currently live outside the US, and as difficult as it is to be away from family, friends, and a culture I can relate to, being able to go to the doctor and pay less than 10 dollars is amazing. Having access to fantastic public transportation is amazing. And being able to go anywhere at anytime and never worry about someone going on a rampage with a gun is amazing. These are all things I really want to fight for in America, but I give up. Nothing I do or say matters to the people running the parties, they just want me to work and make money for them:

You know, it’s so funny that in the country I’m living in now, I am very much a minority and the more xenophobic part of the right wing party would probably want to kick me out, but I still feel more taken care of and cared for by the government here than in my own country.

And that is truly saddening to realize and say.

4. It's a bleak day and I have two main takeaways.

One is that if Biden wins that'll be better for the country, but awful for the Progressive movement. If Tr*mp wins it'll be worse for everything, but great for the Progressive movement. I can't help but feel a lose-lose in my heart.

Two is ...

:(

5. jtm

jtm

If you think about not voting please think of RBG who really really would like to retire soon. And if the progressive movement is here to stay, the goal should be to try and vote in more left-leaning democrats into house and senate come November.

6. Two (counter-)arguments for voting for Biden: 1) 4 more years of Trump-appointed judges will have disastrous long-term effects that even a future progressive government would be unable to fix, 2) the progressive movement has a better chance of moving Biden and a Democrat-majority Congress left than Trump and a Republican-majority Congress.

These aren’t iron-clad, of course, but they are worth seriously considering.

7. Stevens and Ginsburg don’t have another four years in them so that’s reason enough for me to vote for Biden. We could have a 7-2 conservative majority court otherwise and then everything really will be fucked for decades to come.

8. Yeah if we don’t get liberal justices on the court the progressive moment will be doomed forever and never be able to make a comeback, so please consider that before you decide not to vote. We are running out of time if we haven’t already.

Baby Clyde, Ashling92 and mump boy like this.
  9. I also wouldn't count out Sotomayor and her health conditions either. It is a very precarious time for the liberal justices.

inevitable and mump boy like this.
  10. The last 4 posts are the most sense I've read all day.

The false equivalency between Biden and Trump is so intellectually dishonest.

Biden is far from perfect but he will move moderately to the left, will halt the Supreme Courts hijacking, improve if not revolutionise health care, the same on environment, guns, income inequality, immigration, student loans etc etc etc especially if progressives keep the pressure on.

Trump will do none of those things and will in fact do the exact opposite.

Getting 50% (or 20) of what you want is a damn sight better than getting 100% of what you don't want.

Beating Trump should be the only consideration and then building on whatever Biden does. Sulking on the sidelines is not going to help anyone get anything they claim to want.

11. Ddd, how gross to read such a heartful post and demean it as sulking on the sidelines.

12. Sigh.

Can we please stop telling people that not voting because they’ve been betrayed and disenfranchised by the establishment that they’re “sulking” or sore losers. You get back to them when you’ve had your only hope of healthcare or clearing your student debt taken away from you. Stop expecting people to get out and vote for your preferred choice when your preferred choice does absolutely nothing to respect them or their ideology.

13. I came here to post these very things.

While yes, neither Trump or Biden are going to do much for the biggest issues facing our country... It would be important for Biden to be President to put more democrat Supreme Court justices up.
    And also- the fight doesn't have to stop here.
    If we continue to protest, to rally together and get our voices out there- Our voice is way more likely to be heard by Biden than by Trump, and there's a small chance that we can move him more left on some things.

At least try to find some local progressive candidates for some of your local elections in your city/state and vote for them, because the movement will move forward with more people like Bernie and AOC being brought in at every level of government.

Baby Clyde and mump boy like this.

14. So... what's the takeaway given the results of the last two Tuesdays? Message vs. messenger?

15. Messenger vs. Someone who stood next to Obama for 8 years.

Remember, the people voting are the same people who were like "PETE IS GAY? I WANT MY VOTE BACK". They know Biden was VP for Obama. They liked Obama. They must like Biden.
    That thought process is enough for some people.

He likes this.
  16. Electability. That’s the number one concern amongst Democratic voters—who can beat Trump? Bernie’s had to weather 5 years of “radical left” smears from news networks while Biden skates by avoiding rallies and interviews so no one notices he’s missing a few marbles.

If Biden becomes President, we need to make his life a living hell if he declines to support popular policies like M4A— we have the mandate to do so.

Mr.Arroz, BricksAndStrings and He like this.
  17. I don’t think running on anything but free healthcare for everyone is gonna work in the middle of a Coronavirus outbreak but I guess we’ll see.

18. The problem with money in politics the way it is, is that health care corporations are going to be spending lots of money to make sure medicare for all does not happen. They already have been, and clearly it's paid off for them so far.

Ashling92 and kal like this.
  19. But isn’t this just polling Democratic voters? Is there any data on Republican and Independent? If not...there’s not a super strong case there.

Baby Clyde and mump boy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.