U.S. Politics | Page 2165 | The Popjustice Forum

U.S. Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Veritaserum, Feb 16, 2016.

1. I’m struggling watching any local news coverage of the weekend’s events, which isn’t surprising, but still frustrating. Every channel is too hyper-focused on the 1 burning store to make any mention of the hours of peaceful protest or even say the words ‘George Floyd’ or ‘Black Lives Matter.’ It’s all ‘this is just terrible,’ ‘how will we ever recover,’ ‘how can people do this’ - without ANY discussion about the context of why these events are taking place.

2. I've had the same issue with our local TV! All they ever talk about is property damage and looting, without giving any air time to the protestors to talk about why they're protesting, or showing the excessive force used by the police.

When they interview the business owners, the owners almost always go out of their way to say that they don't care about their storefront, they care about the community - that they can rebuild their shop or their restaurant, but they can't bring back the victims. I just wish the news stations were actually listening.

3. The way the reporters act brand new too for dramatic effect like "oh my... oh no! Look at that" like girl, you know what's going down...

Mr.Arroz, OspreyQueen, Island and 8 others like this.
  4. The amount of times I heard a reporter or anchor say ‘things could get bad/take a turn for the worse at any moment’ really got me heated. It’s like they had to justify their appearance at these peaceful events by letting their producers know it there were still chances to make sensationalized TV.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  5. At this point, I just feel really sad.

6. There are reports of a blackout in DC. No livestreams, tweets, etc from protesters for a few hours.
    I hope everyone is safe.

7. Five black protestors were also allegedly murdered by the police. They keep taking down this video (theres a longer one around) It doesn't show much though.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around twitter though but this seems to be the most consistent. I'm trying to find the names of the victims.

Mirwais Ahmadzaï likes this.
  8. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

I don’t know how I’m still hearing uproar from so many people about looting while they brush off everything else. “Of course police brutality is bad, but I couldn’t believe they were looting Gucci!” Are you insane?

9. I mean, we asked for the redistribution of wealth politely. I say loot it all.

10. Especially when a lot of the loot (basic necessities like food and supplies) is being redistributed via mutual aid networks that have been set up within days. Those are the tweets/stories I love to see right now.

11. Right? At the end of the day, it is all semantics. People can call it looting but all I see is expropriation of owed wealth. The eagerness of celebrities and the affluent to be like "no, don't destroy that bank and, if you do, you're a member of antifa" is...highly convenient that those who hoard capital want to frame the destruction and expropriation of capital as bad.

12. I’m against transforming this into a ‘who’s paying more’ contest but donating 50$ when a basic Off White tshirt costs north of a 100$ is too much.

13. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

You’d like to think he was perhaps doing the $50 matching trend that was going around yesterday and then privately doing something more worthy of his means, but knowing fashion people...

14. Closer to $300 tibbs. And not to mention all that LVMH money via Louis Vuitton. He's a fraud.

Rem, Subwaykid, ohaimanabu and 8 others like this.
  15. Strong vibes...

ohaimanabu likes this.
  16. Twitter is a wreck right now.

Verandi likes this.
  17. Twitter is legitimately always a wreck.

stuaw, ohaimanabu, Rob and 5 others like this.
  18. So "Where are the protesters" is trending on Twitter because apparently all the protesters in DC just stopped posting, no videos or photos were posted after 1 AM, everyone just... vanished?
    Umm...

but then there's people saying there was just a lot of arrests, and a lot of twitter bots fueling panic. so we'll see, I guess.

19. oh.... my god

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.