UK Ladies #1s of the '00s Rate | #46 songs like this make pop fans have this long-standing untrust | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Ladies #1s of the '00s Rate | #46 songs like this make pop fans have this long-standing untrust

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by saviodxl, Nov 20, 2022.

1. A 'tooting basement' sounds like a flatulent bum.

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I assume this is the reason for “In '77 and '69, revolution was in the air”. It’s like she’s singing about two completely different eras at once. If we MUST have unnecessary nostalgia, I’d rather this than the “remember when we had real music?” snobbery of I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker:

These are much better songs and have more of a KT Tunstall vibe:

And just for @berserkboi:

3. Ezz

Ezz

This would have scored points!

4. Those two are like bad troll entries slotted for Tiny Crown awards in a song contest, not #1 on any chart.

5. Even though I hate it for its faux-nostalgia elements, the song itself does actually hold some nostalgia in my heart. Ain't that a kick in the head.

MilesAngel, Maki and londonrain like this.
  6. Remorque, soratami, Maki and 3 others like this.
  7. Amended.

I'll try and post #50 tonight

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 at 12:05 PM
  8. She will really be reminiscing when we do the 60s rate.

9. I look forward to her novella-length comments on each song.

Remorque, berserkboi, Maki and 2 others like this.
  10. I wish I could get her to, but she's always saying "I don't know what I'm supposed to say" and writes a sentence or two here and there. Hopefully it will be better for the 1960s rate.

11. For a moment during the voting this was at the bottom. Changes was beating it, can you believe it?

Well I can, because I was one of the lowest scorers nn

[​IMG]
    Michelle McManus - All This Time
    Date it reached #1: 31/01/2004

Weeks at #1: 3
    Average: 5.417
    Total points: 189.60

Max: 10.0 x 3 (@daninternational, @Remorque, @Ezz), 9.5 (@Hazey's Mom)
    Min: 1.0 (@2014), 2.0 x 4 (@saviodxl, @Dynamo, @MilesAngel, louciano)

Michelle shocked the judges Simon Cowell, Pete Waterman, Nicki Chapman and Neil Fox when she was announced as the winner of Season 2 of Pop Idol. Judges were not hiding their predilence for the runner up Mark Rhodes.

It was reported that Pete Waterman stormed off set when she won and told the prospect of her becoming a popstar was a joke. A bit rude, eh? But joke or not, it was the public's saying.

Her debut single was an original song: ballad produced by Steve Mac, with a key change at the final chorus - shocker! In a time where reality show popstars would get #1s easily, it was a no brainer that she debuted atop with All This Time and stayed there for 3 weeks. The album of the same name achieved #3 in the charts, with follow-up single The Meaning Of Love stalling at #16. She was dropped of the label right after. Pete Waterman jinxed it? Who knows...

I'm praying this comment's here to stay

louciano - 2.0
    Michelle seems really lovely.
    She's a cute girl dot gif.

@Iggypig - 3.0
    I was never really a follower of Pop Idol, and unless a banger was forthcoming a la Sound Of The Underground, I was never really going to pay much attention. This is more along the lines of Evergreen, which is one of the worst winner singles of all time. Just too boring unfortunately.

@WowWowWowWow - 4.0
    Entirely tedious and makes sense that they never did the show again after this but thank you for the key change.
    Thank Steve Mac!

@DJHazey - 4.0
    I feel like there’s so many Michelle-Megan-Mc-something singers from the UK I don’t know who is who. Is this one of the ones everyone loves ddd? I’m not really into this song too much, so I hope not!
    I wish I could include another Michelle in this rate, but she's not British nor has a UK #1.

@BubblegumBoy - 7.0
    I wonder what Michelle is doing with her life now? Probably performing covers on a cruise ship to a captive audience.
    Chasing Pete Waterman?

@R27 - 7.8
    Wait at me actually really liking this. Minus the corny choir at the end.
    The corny part is ONLY at the end?

Hazey's Mum - 9.5
    Inspirational!

@Ezz - 10.0
    I fear this may be done dirty in this rate. Ridiculously cheesy but amazing, before the glitz of the X-factor started to descend.

@daninternational - 10.0
    Sorry but this is an absolute tune.

Next: another untouched year loses a song.​

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 at 11:27 PM
  12. I thought All The Time was surprisingly decent, but I'm definitely surprised to see it got three 10s nn

13. Ezz

Ezz

I wasn't expecting it to do worse than La Roux that's for sure! Poor Michelle.

14. ...but Bulletproof is one of the best songs here? I certainly hope it's not getting eliminated any time soon.

15. R27

R27

This is my favourite of the X-Factor winner singles. It feels more lively than most singing competition songs and, at least from a sonic standpoint, sounds in tune with some of the trends at the time. Obviously, the lyrics and choir at the end are here to remind us that this is from a singing competition, but I still find it a much more enjoyable package than a song like "A Moment Like This".

16. I gave All This Time 2, because I have an X-Factor phobia, but the chorus melody is nice and it's definitely better than
    A Moment Like This.

Michelle has done some work in the media; she has presented several radio programmes over the years and has written for the Glasgow Evening Times. She had a child with her husband in early 2020.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 at 11:56 PM
  17. Mighty Hoopla!!

18. And here is the proof of her work. If her laugh was on a dance banger to spite Pete Waterman, I'd have given her a higher score than my 8.

R27, Aester, Ezz and 4 others like this.
  19. Y’all some haters. How dare you all do Michelle like this???

20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Absolutely abhorrent song, the way she killed off Pop Idol here n n n.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.