UK Ladies #1s of the 90s Rate | We have a winner!

Missing the top 20 is...

a song with a single artwork that is a bit disturbing to say the least. And the title made me think of
scooby-doo-scooby-dooby-doo.gif

artworks-000406334763-llsc3d-t500x500.jpg

Beats International feat. Lindy Layton - Dub Be Good To Me
Date it reached #1: 10/02/1990
Weeks at #1: 4
Average: 7.174
Total points: 243.9

Max:10.0 x 5 (@Mike @TéléDex @Miles Angel @berserkboi @Hudvar), 9.3 (@Maki)
Min: 2.0 (@WhatKindOfKylie?), 3.0 x 3 (Mama Hazey @Million_Lights @Phonetics Girl)

Let me tell you that I had no idea about dance/hip hop collective Beats International before this rate! Neither Lindy. And I have no idea why she was a featured artist when she was an actual member of the group back then.

Either way, Dub Good To Me was their debut single, storming at #1 and staying there for a total of 4 weeks.

There's a lot going on here! The track is based on the song Just be Good To Me by The S.O.S, from 1983. The instrumental part also prominently features the bassline from The Clash's Guns of Brixton (1979) and incorporates a sample of the harmonica from Ennio Morricone's Once Upon a Time in the West.

To be fair, they were not exactly a one hit wonder, because they scored a #9 with sophomore single Won't Talk About It. But they are definitely a one album wonder given that debut Let Them Eat Bingo peaked #17 in the UK and sophomore (and last) Excursion On The Version didn't even chart.

Lindy Layton continued to feature in dance tracks and released her own solo singles until 1996, but never managed to achieve mainstream success.

The legacy of Dub Be Good To Me is undeniable. A few notable uses of the song include Faithless and Dido's version (2002) and Professor Green and Lily Allen's in 2006s Just Be Good to Green (yeah, he did that).

Mama Hazey - 3.0
Very amateur and very boring.

@WowWowWowWow - 6.0
For me it was done much better in its other iterations.

@DJHazey - 6.0
Decent little reggae chill mode but what's the weird ‘radio call' inserts?

@daninternational - 9.0
A classic, but it will struggle against the cheesier pop heavyweight

@Maki - 9.3
Could've done without those interjections but I love this, such a vibe.

@berserkboi - 10.0
Starting the list with a Masterpiece!

TOP 20

Beats International feat. Lindy Layton - Dub Be Good To Me
Beautiful South - A Little Time

Shakespears Sister - Stay
Tasmin Archer - Sleeping Satellite

Queen with George Michael and Lisa Stansfield - These Are The Days Of Our Lives
Gabrielle - Dreams
Culture Beat - Mr. Vain
Take That feat. Lulu - Relight My Fire

Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy

Gina G - Ooh Aah... Just a Little Bit
Spice Girls - Wannabe
Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There
Spice Girls - 2 Become 1

Spice Girls - Mama
Spice Girls - Who Do You Think You Are
Olive - You're Not Alone
Eternal feat. BeBe Winans - I Wanna Be The Only One
Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life
Spice Girls - Too Much

All Saints - Never Ever
All Saints - Under The Bridge
All Saints - Lady Marmalade
Billie Piper - Because We Want To

Spice Girls - Viva Forever
All Saints - Bootie Call
Melanie B feat. Missy Elliott - I Want You Back
Billie Piper - Girlfriend

Spice Girls - Goodbye

Steps - Heartbeat
Steps - Tragedy
Martine McCutcheon - Perfect Moment
S Club 7 - Bring It All Back
Geri Halliwell - Mi Chico Latino
Geri Halliwell - Lift Me Up

I somehow gave Bring It All Back an 8!? Maybe I had it confused with S Club Party...

I get what @Maki said though, it sounds a little like a campsite kids club musical number, and what I remember of their show was a little on the cringey side:

S Club: "Hey kid, why are you crying?"
Kid: "My whole family just died in a fire!"
S Club: "Cheer up! We know a song that'll help!"
-kid seen smiling and bopping 39 seconds later-

We all have received (or given) at least one in our lifetime

booty-call-oitnb.png

51i3uFbNxNL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

All Saints - Bootie Call
Date it reached #1: 12/09/1998
Weeks at #1: 1
Average: 7.315
Total points: 248.7

Max: 10.0 (@Daniel_O), 9.5 x 6 (@berserkboi @Maki @daninternational @Conan @Verandi @saviodxl)
Min: 2.0 (Mama Hazey), 3.0 (@Million_Lights)

Fourth single from All Saints self titled debut album became their third chart topper in a row.

It is about, well, casual sex! Or you really thought "Good lovins not always from the heart, you gotta be smart" is about something else? Good piece of advice tho! It samples The Hump from Buster Williams, from 1975.

The track served as another example that All Saints were the more urban R&B option of a girlgroup we had at the time, in comparison to the bubblegum pop that was in vogue, mainly with Spice Girls, but also other girlgroups and female solo artists alike. One can say they were trying too hard to be the cool gang here, but hey, they had to walk so Sugababes could run.

Their debut era would have a fifth and final single, War Of Nerves, peaking at #7.

Bring it on, bring the comments on

Mama Hazey - 2.0
Again with the monotone from this band, there is also no flair. I don’t even like the beat, which is cardinal sin with Mama Hazey.

@Ezz - 4.0
Sorry, this falls completely flat for me.

@DJHazey - 4.0
Yeah, so it’s song like this that exemplify why I was never into their debut era that much.

@WowWowWowWow - 5.0
Also maybe don't keep Jimmy in your wallet or in your pocket because friction and your natural body heat may make it more likely that your condom will break. Having said that I can't imagine anyone actually having body heat when they heard this damp squib of a song!

@Ana Raquel - 9.0
I admit I never delved into All Saints's discography (I know! A PJ member!) but this is a hit? Do they have anything else on this line?

@berserkboi - 9.5
I do have a massive soft spot for this!

@daninternational - 9.5
Bring it on, bring it bring it on now. From the start, All Saints did things differently, and that's why their songs still sound fresh to this day.

@Maki - 9.5
This is really fun, catchy and enjoyable, the wacky production makes for an exciting listen too.