UK Politics: General Despondency + General Election 2024

They should get ahead of it and call a GE for March right now. Government is non functioning, an extra 6-9 months won't help their chances of staying in... let's just get it over with.

So insane that they've chosen this, a policy that by all accounts Rishi is not even really behind, to be the hill they die on. It really goes to show that the politics of culture wars are of very little interest to the public in this country. We're not the US.

he/him/basic cishomo
Take it in. This person, travelling through hardships and god only knows what else but it is here, in the UK that it all becomes too much.

This country is a shambles.

That is so fucking sad, and the details in the article about how this is rapidly becoming a crisis... thank God for the organizations doing the humanitarian work for immigrants that, you know, the government should be doing.

After all that, it went through easily. I swear part of me thinks this was the plan all along. Make it look like it was going to be close and then at the last minute, glorious Rishi saves the day

he/him/basic cishomo
Come new year they are toast anyway but along with the news on Bibby Stockholm, it is so depressing.

It really does seem like they (Rishi) pulled a fast one here. I checked The Guardian to see if anyone on the opposition voted FOR and was pleasantly surprised to see that they did not.

Still fuck Labour circa 2023 but yeah.

Sam

he/they
I’m not too clear on the actual process but the bill’s got to make it through the House of Lords next, is that right? What’s the likelihood of that happening?

They will not be toast. Whether they remain in office or not they will be getting an extremely generous public pension on top of job offers for cushy private sector posts.

The benefits systems for politicians needs to be radically stripped back. As well as a better regulation of the private sector work ex politicians can do after office.
Well of course they won't be in that respect, none of them will be. But we know that.

Just look at Michael Fabricant (redacted), knighted today. Makes me sick.

LTG

he/him
I’m not too clear on the actual process but the bill’s got to make it through the House of Lords next, is that right? What’s the likelihood of that happening?
This was the second reading, so still needs to go through the committee stage, where it can be amended, then there can also be amendments before its third reading, after which it would have to go to the Lords. The committee stage can be sped up and I believe Rishi is aiming to get this through asap.