UK Politics: General Despondency + General Election 2024

Holly Valance is a rancid little goblin but I actually thought what she said was quite insightful and if used properly, could be used to bring people back to the left.

It seems to be that when you come into money or are financially stable, it becomes all about 'how do I keep my money / get more money' rather than realising how fortunate you are especially compared to others. How do we stop this sickness setting into people once money comes into play?

Yeah, this is not a totally idiotic view.

I mean, it's wrong and it's short-sighted and it's not at all true for huge numbers of people... but money, and the theoretical threat of it being taken away can result in some strange behaviours.

Yeah, this is not a totally idiotic view.

I mean, it's wrong and it's short-sighted and it's not at all true for huge numbers of people... but money, and the theoretical threat of it being taken away can result in some strange behaviours.

I'm not sure if you mean my view is not totally idiotic or Valance's.

You're right though, it is wrong and short sighted. But I feel like this is a sickness that has set in much of England and is why based on the polls, the Tories are still expecting to return 100+ seats. With the absolute mess they've made of our country, 1 seat for them is 1 too many.

So how do we combat that and get compassion back into people's hearts?

I'm not sure if you mean my view is not totally idiotic or Valance's.

You're right though, it is wrong and short sighted. But I feel like this is a sickness that has set in much of England and is why based on the polls, the Tories are still expecting to return 100+ seats. With the absolute mess they've made of our country, 1 seat for them is 1 too many.
hers!! not yours :)

I am a bit surprised that nobody here has mentioned this yet. To be clear, Streeting is saying that Labour will build trans-specific wards for all trans people, apparently regardless of sex (which then makes the insistence on single-sex wards extra confusing because apparently trans people don't need that?) - not just making trans people use wards based on sex rather than gender. Streeting is also saying that the NHS won't get any extra money so not sure how such wards would be built or staffed, aside from the fact that this plan is Extremely Illegal anyway.

Reading a bit more into this, Labour are claiming that he meant that "trans inpatients might prefer to stay in the modern, single-bed rooms that make up almost half of accommodation across trusts in England, rather than being put with people of their birth sex." Doesn't sound like it's official Labour policy anyway. But Wes Streeting is an idiot.

Labour might say they'll do this but they won't. Everything at the minute is about appeasing critics and making empty election promises. I don't know what the answer is, but I truly despair at the state of the world right now.
That's not the point, though? Labour being willing to openly declare open season on trans people to the extent of breaking the law is still bad even if it doesn't actually happen. Trans people in hospital are not a problem in need of solving.

Reading a bit more into this, Labour are claiming that he meant that "trans inpatients might prefer to stay in the modern, single-bed rooms that make up almost half of accommodation across trusts in England, rather than being put with people of their birth sex." Doesn't sound like it's official Labour policy anyway. But Wes Streeting is an idiot.
This seems like backpeddling after realising how incredibly illegal it is to openly set out to discriminate against trans people in the way he suggested. I'm not sure how actually helpful it is to downplay how violently transphobic Labour are right now, even if this isn't policy - also many trans people already get put in private rooms for inpatient stays if they want that. It should still be up to the individual. It also doesn't change the fact that he is still saying that trans women are a threat to cis women, because this messaging is rooted in transmisogyny specifically. Trans people are less than 1% of the population and do not attack people on hospital wards. It's not a problem that needs solving.

After this election, the Conservatives are going to split into different parties. The super right wing one will replace the main conservative party and be back in power by the 2029 election. Labour won't be able to fix everything (or much at all) within one term and Tory trash will use that to their benefit with an every increasing right wing media backing them up.

So we can laugh at PopCon but these people are the direction of travel for our politics for some utterly insane reason.

Nor does she deserve one.
Her thread was closed when she and her husband started hanging out with Nigel Farage.

She was a terrible actress and an even worse singer who's parading her so-called 'views' for attention, no more no less. Take whatever 'bops' you truly can't live without and leave everything else about her in the past, where it belongs.