UK Politics: General Despondency + General Election 2024

I was just about to ask that. UK politics seem very dirty. I'm not saying Dutch politics are clean. But some things about UK politics are so abhorrent to me. The way the MPs shout at each other in the House of Commons / Parliament (unsure which term to use, pardon me). It's a mess. Let each other speak, have some dignity.

Truss was a mess, Sunak is diabolical. How do you UK girlies cope??

I'm asking because I'm pretty sure my country is going to follow suit. Europe is radicalising. Our next government (which has been failing to form a coalition for months now) is going to be a mess. Now that I think about it, Dutch politics is literally just as messy except our MPs insult each other on Twitter instead of in each other's face dd.
Yeah, everybody has mostly given up lol.

I detest the parliamentary debates, it's all insults, potshots and soundbites. It's like you "win" by making the best sarcastic comment, instead of enacting proper change. Even when the tories get a hammering and whoever delivers it gets cheers and pats on the back I think "these are people's lives, is nobody taking this seriously?".

The fact that there isn’t something in place to force a by-election when an MP switches political parties midway through a parliamentary term blows my mind. Most people here vote for the party (or party leader, you could say) and not necessarily the person who will be the MP.

The fact that there isn’t something in place to force a by-election when an MP switches political parties midway through a parliamentary term blows my mind. Most people here vote for the party (or party leader, you could say) and not necessarily the person who will be the MP.

Also says a lot about Labour that they will just take on someone who has a long history of supporting conservative policies. There really is no difference between the two.

he/him/basic cishomo
Yeah, everybody has mostly given up lol.

I detest the parliamentary debates, it's all insults, potshots and soundbites. It's like you "win" by making the best sarcastic comment, instead of enacting proper change. Even when the tories get a hammering and whoever delivers it gets cheers and pats on the back I think "these are people's lives, is nobody taking this seriously?".
I remember thinking the "open dialogue" was refreshing compared to my country's (US) slothlike sleepy procedures where the dirty stuff all happens behind the scenes, but now looking at the state of the UK Parliament...... maybe open dialogue is overrated when the people engaging in it are like that.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Oh no. Big protest in Amsterdam. It's escalating. I'm panicking a bit because literally my friends who live in the center are being left on 1 check on Whatsapp and that's probably just a funny coincidence but it's not cute timing!!

Not related to UK but can't find the world thread dd

The 'Israel has a right to defend itself' argument is so dumb because if you do your research (Google is free after all) you'd come to realise that what happened on October 7th was a response to the 70+ years Israel has held Palestine essentially hostage on land that was theirs to fucking begin with!

Like I keep saying everywhere I go, October 7th was not some random isolated attack carried out by the bad brown people against the innocent white people. Give me a fucking break.

I
The 'Israel has a right to defend itself' argument is so dumb because if you do your research (Google is free after all) you'd come to realise that what happened on October 7th was a response to the 70+ years Israel has held Palestine essentially hostage on land that was theirs to fucking begin with!

Like I keep saying everywhere I go, October 7th was not some random isolated attack carried out by the bad brown people against the innocent white people. Give me a fucking break.
Even Antonio Guterres (Secretary General of the UN) said back in October 2023 that the attacks by Hamas on 7th October "did not happen in a vacuum" - why is this so hard for the US/UK/Australia and a majority of European Governments to understand?

I

Even Antonio Guterres (Secretary General of the UN) said back in October 2023 that the attacks by Hamas on 7th October "did not happen in a vacuum" - why is this so hard for the US/UK/Australia and a majority of European Governments to understand?
Because they get to sell some weapons and end up with a new canal that's not in Egypt - they see Palestine as the collateral damage