UK Politics: Misery, The Sequel | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Politics: Misery, The Sequel

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bestinase, Jul 21, 2020.

1. SBK

SBK

Yeah, I am not convinced by Keir's Labour, but I will vote for them still if its the best chance of keeping a tory out of the seat.

The Lib Dems need to get over themselves and know their role. The anti coalition policy they had last time was damaging. Its literally the only way that they could ever be in power. Sure they had their fingers well and truly burned, but what did they expect, jumping into bed with the Conservative Party?

POPGASM and xondus like this.
  2. Growing rumours that Miss Lady Kier is about to resign. Good fucking riddance if so.

3. Where did you hear that?

4. Someone else will say it first and write out the resignation and appoint the successor, then Starmer will say that it was his idea all along.

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. Some headline on the internet, and then trending on Twitter (I only check it to see updates on record shops/sellers).

Seems unlikely. Pity.

6. The parody account is quite funny. "I will abstain from making a decision on whether I am to resign".

michaelhird, Butterfly and POPGASM like this.
  7. If Starmer were to resign and a new leader take his place, I'm not sure what direction the party could take in terms of who to choose next to steer the ship.

Ultimately, 2019 was a catastrophe for Labour. The wrong leader, the wrong policies, and the wrong take on Brexit.

I know people like to believe otherwise on all or some of those points but if that were the case the party wouldn't have achieved the worst result since 1935. I know several older, lifelong Labour supporters who outright refused to vote Labour with Corbyn as leader.

I still firmly believe that had Labour embraced the idea of Brexit at the last general election it wouldn't have seen its support completely collapse. Like it or not, the 2019 general election was effectively a people's vote on Brexit and the fact Labour's position included another public vote on Brexit and the suggestion that remain would be an option, only encouraged Labour voters to vote Conservative instead.

I don't believe the Conservatives will be able to hold onto their borrowed votes from the 'red wall', now that Brexit has begun and they've fucked the north over time and time again throughout the pandemic.

8. I wouldn't say that Corbyn's policies were unpopular with the general population. If anything I'd say that people generally are for increasing minimum wage and protecting the NHS. YouGov analysis also showed that people generally are in favour of increasing tax for higher earners, and even for things like renationalising the rail network.

There were a few problems in the last election. Obviously we cannot ignore the media onslaught of Jeremy Corbyn, even in traditionally Labour supporting publications. I also think increasingly people have a short attention span and a quick, catchy election message such as "Get Brexit Done" or "Make America Great Again" stick with people. Labour should have lead with a "Save Our NHS" message, or something similar - I think they were trying to push too many of their policies in their comms strategy (even things like free broadband towards the end) which confuses people (unfortunately).

At the time I really wanted Labour to campaign for a second referendum but in retrospect this would not have been the right decision politically. I wish that Labour had campaigned for a Norway+ style Brexit, that would deliver Brexit in name but kept us in the Single Market and Custom Union. You'd not have won over the right wing racists that were voting Brexit "to stop brown people coming in" but might have kept Labour supporters who were anti-EU on side, whilst also appeasing those who want to remain (wouldn't have been perfect for either side, but possibly a good compromise).

Even though at heart I'm a Green supporter, I'll always vote Labour as we cannot afford another Tory government but I have to agree that Keir has been very disappointing. The fact that the only real opposition to the Tories is coming from Nicola Sturgeon and the SNPs, who at their core want to leave the UK, is really worrying. We need opposition that can hold the current Government to account, and this will be more important than ever over the coming months.

Crayons likes this.
  9. I actually think standing on the fence is what hurt Corbyn more than him potentially supporting Remain. I also think that while of course some Labour voters did vote Tory, this supposed mass exodus of traditional Labour voters turning to Boris is a bit overexaggerated.

If you look at the results the Tories only got 1% more of the vote share in 2019 than they did in 2017. In fact it was the Lib Dems who surprisingly saw an over 4% increase and the Green vote also nearly doubled. The problem is that FPTP skews everything and gave the Tories their massive majority. In many of the seats Labour lost, the Tory vote remained exactly the same. It was just that the Labour vote dipped so much (and the Lib Dem vote often increased in the same constituencies), that the Conservative candidate was able to nab the seat.

The Labour vote did absolutely hemorrhage, but I think the part of "Labour leavers" is overestimated and the part of "Labour remainers" (who were disappointed with the lack of opposition in regards to Brexit) is definitely underestimated. Just remember almost half the country did vote remain, and I'm sure a very large portion of them would traditionally be Labour voters.

tea and Butterfly like this.
  10. I think had they outright supported remain it would have harmed them even further. It would have made it even easier for our traditionally conservative, right-wing press to attack them and claim that they were ignoring the want of Brexit voters.

I truly believe if we had found ourselves in a position where Brexit was up for a public vote again, it would have once again won the support of the public, probably with a larger majority. People seem incapable to see how damaging it is for us as a country and as a nation in a globalised, ever-developing world.

Britain stands to get lost amongst the chaos, clinging onto to former ‘glories’ of its globe-trotting, racist empire.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  11. LTG

LTG

Zarah Sultana

beyoncésweave, andru, acl and 5 others like this.
  12. LTG

LTG

Shitpost left Twitter started that. But if you’ve got the leadership of a party that’s supposed to be the political wing of organised labour not saying anything about teaching unions deciding it’s unsafe to go back in (even though a majority of voters agree), what’s the point of him?

acl, Kuhleezi, swim and 4 others like this.
  13. The fact that the events of 2020 and how terrible this government are is has made me wish Theresa was still Prime Minister. The fact that a marginally less incompetent Prime Minister seems tempting.

I’m exhausted.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    itylts, POPGASM and Eric Generic like this.
  14. We all know Bojo will ignore him, but at least this counters the people questioning where Keir Starmer is and what his position is.

michaelhird likes this.
  15. ...

Yes having a Prime Minster whose party continuously revolted against her leading us through a pandemic sure would be great

16. I was talking about the individual in the position itself, not the dynamics of parliament.

As it stands, Boris spent a large amount of time simply bypassing the House of Commons when it enacting lockdowns etc.

Eric Generic likes this.
  17. Another unexpected consequence of Brexit revealed!

18. LTG

LTG

He’s still not calling for schools to close lol

Anything to distance himself from unions.

19. Then forgive me, but how is it a 'lockdown' if schools remain open?

20. LTG

LTG

The same way the November lockdown was a lockdown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.