UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Dinner With Gershwin is the song that made me a Donna Summer fan. It was the first song I heard by her as a teenager so she was like a new artist to me, in those days when singers in their 40s could still get in the charts and have big hits. Crazy I know!

Im Nin Alu is a masterpiece, one of my desert island discs. One of the best foreign language hits in the UK along with Voyage Voyage the same year.

I can already tell this countdown is going to be very me!

2. Dinner With Gershwin and the criminally forgotten flop follow up All Systems Go, feel like a perfect lead into the SAW period for Donna I think.

phoenix123, WoW73, discoteca and 4 others like this.
  3. Just piping in to share the Dinner With Gershwin love. The song just sounds massive although its structure always throws me a bit. Does it have a chorus!?

4. It sort of does, and get what you mean by that. It's overall genius helps it a winner all the way though!

5. DUSTY SPRINGFIELD- NOTHING HAS BEEN PROVED (144,000)

[​IMG]

After “What Have I Done To Deserve This” perhaps an album between Dusty and the Pet Shop Boys was always on the cards and by 1989 that’s what we got. This was written and produced by the boys for the film “Scandal” and renewed interest in the Profumo affair over the years has probably helped the song since. Courtney Pine helps out on Sax.

promo

TOTP

Extended

6. WHITNEY HOUSTON- WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO? (147,000)

[​IMG]
    Allegedly Whitney hated this track but Clive Davis convinced her to sing it as he believed it would be a No 1 single. In the US at least he was right though it petered out here at No 14, like most Whitney hits it has done well in the streaming era!

Promo

Live

No 12" mix

7. DAYS- Kirsty MacColl (147,000)

[​IMG]

I suppose it helps that we get reminded of Kirsty every year thanks to “Fairytale Of New York”. This cover of the Kinks track from 1968 made No 12 originally and reached the same position for Kirsty 21 years later.

Promo

totp

No 12" mix

8. Tomorrow we'll cover the last two "Bubbling under" tracks both of which, frankly, are a wonder that they aren't in the top 100 let alone the top 200!

Also: that 12" mix of "Nothing has been proved" is amazing- the fact that the PSB were GIVING AWAY tracks like that in 1989 is mind boggling....

9. How COULD you!!

Phonetics Girl and berserkboi like this.
  10. Each day, this thread is fast becoming my favourite more and more.

11. Oh, and Whitney did indeed hate poor old Where Do Broken Hearts Go (at least initially):
    1:32 onwards

Blond and MilesAngel like this.
  12. I loved that period in the late 80s where Pet Shop Boys were working with the female divas - Dusty, Liza, Patsy (and their work with Cicero in the 90s). I wish they would still do these collaborations. I always wanted them to write and produce a song for Dame Olivia Newton John, that would have been a good fit.

13. I wonder if with hindsight they'd rather have kept them for another album of their own on reflection. Especially given the end of their golden period was nigh.

But then we wouldn't have got " Results" I suppose. That doesn't bear thinking about......

14. I wouldn't want to live in a world without Results and Reputation in it.

15. Dinner With Gershwin rather blew my mind the first time I heard it in 1987. I was sure it was a Paisley Park production, it seemed SO much like a Prince record, with the quirky lyrics. Like something Sheila E might have done.

16. Same, two terrific albums and very well produced. Not to mention sung.

Wishlight and idratherjack like this.
  17. OK be prepared to be outraged!....

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  18. PRIVATE DANCER- Tina Turner (166,000)

[​IMG]

Written by Mark Knopfler for the Dire Straits album “Love Over Gold” it was dropped as he thought it wasn’t a song that a man could sing and so was handed to Turner as the managers of the acts knew each other. Turner’s first instinct was to put her vocals over Knopfler’s track but had to ultimately re-record the record using members of Dire Straits though not the man himself who got replaced by Jeff Beck on guitar which Knopfler later reflected ruined the track with “them drafting in Jeff Beck to play the world's second ugliest guitar solo”. Not a fan then. Turner was apparently shocked to consider that the song was about a hooker, the promo was filmed at London’s Rivoli Ballroom and choreographed by Arlene Phillips.

Promo

Live

Extended

Wishlight, Blond, discoteca and 7 others like this.
  19. ROOMS ON FIRE- Stevie Nicks (166,000)

[​IMG]

The general reassessment for Fleetwood Mac and surge in popularity over the last decade has the knock on effect of helping this track which missed out on the original list and ends up at No 202 on this list! If you’re wondering what it’s about then Nicks commented “it’s about a girl who goes through a life like I have gone through, where she finally accepts the idea that there never will be those other things in her life. She will never be married, she will never have children, she will never do that part of life." Consider yourself in the know.

Promo

TOTP

Extended

20. And that's our "Bubbling under" list....so if they NEARLY made it then imagine what's in the top 200!!

A reminder:

I'll post the songs with sales and their position on 80s sales only list- we'll accompany them with the promo, any TOTP/ Live appearance and the original 80s extended version (where available). I'll post a reminder of the original 80s list later so you can see how it looked back in 1989!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.