UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 18, 2021.

1. 200. ON THE INSIDE (THEME FROM “PRISONER CELL BLOCK H”)- Lynne Hamilton (#3, 1989, 168,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 166

With production values that could make you laugh the Aussie soaps were clutched to our hearts in the 80s, beside the obvious ones “Sons & Daughters”, “Young Doctors” and “Prisoner: Cell Block H” all achieved cult status over here, and taking the theme for the latter soap and scribing words was enough to give Hamilton a top 3 hit in the summer of 1989. Mind you it took its time, the song had been a hit in Australia in 1979 when the programme was launched but the decision to show the series in the UK was taken only after “Neighbours” had been a hit and the appetite for Aussie soaps seemed insatiable. Its late night slot on ITV generated large numbers (for its time slot) and so the decision to make the single available was taken, Hamilton had to be tracked down and convinced to fly to the UK for promo but it was worth it in the end. Not bad for the singer who was once proposed to by Jimi Hendrix.

TOTP

70s promo

No 12" inch released.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. 199. CROSS MY BROKEN HEART- Sinitta (#6, 1988, 169,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 171

There are a total of 15 S/A/W productions on this rundown, one of their more reliable deliverers of hits was Simon Cowell’s ex Sinitta. She was a Hot Gossip dancer and part time pop star since 1983 when she entered song for Europe in 1984 but failed to make it to the Eurovision Song Contest Final, before appearing in the video for “Rock The Boat” by Forrest in 1983. She was also a bit of celebrity dater having gotten through Brad Pitt and David Essex by the end of the 80s but still found time to grab herself 6 top 20 hits during the decade.

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

3. 198. RUSH HOUR- Jane Wiedlin (#12, 1988, 171,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: N/A

A US #9 hit, this hit No 12 here for the former Go-Go and was her only substantial hit in the UK. 88 proved to be a great year for the former members of the band but that’s still to come! This is the first of 16 new entries on the list.

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

4. The state of Sinitta.

Minx.

Only one of my two favourite Sinitta dancers on that TOTP clip unfortunately.

Still I'm certain the perfect pairing will be coming up later….

Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  5. Rush Hour, is one of those 80s songs you are meant to love and alas I don't.

berserkboi likes this.
  6. I was one of the many bleary eyed homosexual teenagers who used to stay up until some GODawful hour of the night to watch Prisoner re-runs on provincial TV. I remember living in Manchester we used to be able to get a very fuzzy signal from an adjacent region (maybe Grampian?) if you stood on a chair and held the aerial at the right angle and they showed Prisoner at a different time slot. Kids these days don't know they are born.

7. It's such a bop. Get the feeling they don't know what to do with her though. Is she a pop singer or is she a singer songwriter. Do we give her a guitar or not?

berserkboi likes this.
  8. Yes, it's not quite pop, but not quite so much pop rock either.

phoenix123 and berserkboi like this.
  9. This perfectly sums up 1992-1995 for me! I was in Granada region too and it was HTV West we could pick up very fuzzily!

10. Jesus yes- Saturday nights/ Sunday morning was the time in the "Central" region (in the late 80s)- along with "The UK's top 10" (must have been 88/89)- I loved Prisoner back then

11. I don’t remember the UK’s top ten? Was it on ITV? There was a period in the early 90s they would show “America’s Top Ten” at 2am or something. Always thought it could have been popular enough for a better time slot.

berserkboi likes this.
  12. Yes on ITV but only briefly during 1988 as far as I remember but at something like 2am on a Sunday morning (just showing videos). Good old Casey Kasam- i recall taping that many a time!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  13. The Casey Kasem US Top 10 shows were on at an ungodly hour through 1990 and 1991, I used to set the VCR. Was about the only way to see Wilson Phillips and Mariah on a regular basis.

14. Mariah was done so wrong in the UK until 1992 at least.

15. So much so I had to fork out over £100 to join her fan club just to get some info on her and this A4 picture which I framed and was on my windowledge by my bed for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  16. Taste. Stunning image!

phoenix123 likes this.
  17. 197. MY ONE TEMPTATION- Mica Paris (#8, 1988, 172,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 179

Real name Michelle Wallen, she got her break doing backing vocals for the group Hollywood Beyond in the mid 80s, and whilst she had a good chart span (some 10 years) it belies the fact that she only made the top 20 on three occasions and the top 10 only once, with this track, her debut single. By way of trivia she’s also the cousin of 90s boxer Chris Eubank, and was recently seen in “Eastenders”.

TOTP

Promo

12" Mix

18. 196. SUPERWOMAN- Karyn White (#11, 1989, 174,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 158

Another hit that I bet some don’t recall. Once married to big US Producer Terry Lewis. This is produced by L A Reid/ Babyface, an early example of their work and saw the track just miss out on the weekly top 10. I’m rather fond of this track, in a kind of lazy Sunday morning way- a fantastic voice.

Live

Promo

12" Mix

19. 195. TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY- Tanita Tickeram (#22, 1988, 176,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: N/A

Whilst “Good Tradition” was her biggest hit here (making #10) it’s the follow up that makes the top 200 thanks to now becoming her best seller. It was a much bigger hit in Europe on release than here but has garnered fans over the years clearly and naturally Liza Minelli’s version is my go to!

TOTP

Promo

12" Mix

20. I like Superwoman, but I love this

Sadly we won't be seeing this in the countdown. It should have been a much bigger hit.

I was another one who sat up in the early 90s watching Prisoner: Cell Block H in fuzzy quality on Grampian TV at stupid o'clock when I was a student. I remember absolutely loving it, I wish they would put it all on Britbox or some other streaming service so we could relive the glory days of Wentworth Prison. It was surprisingly dark and gritty for the time that it was made. I'd love to see how well it stands up today compared to the revival.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.