UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 18, 2021.

1. 58. I’VE NEVER BEEN TO ME- Charlene (#1, 1982, 486,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 57

A complete flop when out first time in 1977 this became a hit through sheer word of mouth and a Tampa DJ who plucked the song from obscurity and started to play it. Word spread and the song got its re-issue in 1982 by which time Charlene had grown weary of the music business and moved to the UK working in a sweetshop in Ilford. Penned originally from a point of view of a down and out begging for a dime and speaking to a younger “hell raiser” in a tone of caution it was re-written into the version which hit No 1 for a week in 1982, from a lonely woman to her housewife counterpart.

TOTP

Promo

No 12" Mix

2. 57. WIND BENEATH MY WINGS- Bette Midler (#5, 1989, 489,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 130

This song was first released on vinyl form by none other than Roger Whittaker, and was released over the course of the decade by Gladys Knight amongst others, but no great shakes until Bette Midler took her version all the way to No 1 in the US in 1989 (helped by its inclusion in the film "Beaches"), and caused the release over here where it became her first charting single after several years of attempting to make the charts. It remains one of only 2 singles by her to make the top 40 and was a bigger hit when covered by "London's Burning" star Steve Houghton in 1997. In the digital age this has done VERY well!

Promo

Live

No 12" Mix

3. Cheesy as it gets but an absolute classic that everyone knows.

idratherjack and Hairycub1969 like this.
  4. Tomorrow we hit the half million mark!

Hairycub1969 and MilesAngel like this.
  5. From Paradise to...Ilford. A bit of a come down!

A kitsch classic.

6. Not a dry eye in the house.

I love the shot of the horse on the beach cutting to the funeral.

7. All Around The World is great, as is Affection, one of the best debut albums of all time and one of the best albums ever full stop for me. Great singles run too, shame this was the real only huge hit from it though.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  8. Well....I've held the hand of a preacher man and we've made love in the sun...so I guess I've lived this song! Classic!

9. A lot of the ranking changes from then to now are fascinating. I've Never Been To Me basically holding station is something I wouldn't have expected.

10. Wasn't it on the soundtrack of 'Priscilla' though? That would definitely have helped it over the years.

11. 56. TELL IT TO MY HEART- Taylor Dayne (#3, 1988, 493,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 85

Dayne’s hit has the honour of being one of the hits involved in the first all female top 3 of all time when it rose to No 3 on 20th February 1988. It was her first hit and arguably the only one remembered thanks in the main to its occasional playlisting on TV and of course that “glorious” cover by Kelly Llorena in 2002 which hit the top 10 again.

TOTP

Promo

12" Mix

Filippa, Wishlight, discoteca and 6 others like this.
  12. Tell It To My Heart, the very definition of an 80s classic!

13. One of my all time favourite singles!

14. 55. THEY DON’T KNOW- Tracey Ullman (#2, 1983, 497,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 29

Written by Kirsty MacColl, she failed to have a hit with this in 1979 due to strikes at the distribution centre which stopped copies being shipped and the song not being promoted properly after the track received strong support from radio at the time. She’s still on this record if only on backing vocals, which was taken by Tracey Ullman and transported into her biggest hit and one of 1983’s standout moments, given her cameo in the Paul McCartney’s new film “Give My Regards To Broad Street” he returned the favour with a cameo in the video.

TOTP

Promo

12" Mix

15. 54. WE DON’T NEED ANOTHER HERO (THUNDERDOME)- Tina Turner (#3, 1985, 514,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 66

As featured on the film “Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome” this was Turner’s second top 3 hit of her career (she wouldn’t get there again) The backing group on the chorus is from Kings House School in Richmond- one of the members? A certain Laurence Dallaglio the rugby player. Co written by Graham Lyle of Lyle & Gallagher fame it remains one of Turner’s most famous hits, interestingly she got the role after seeing Grace Jones in “Conan” and wanting a piece of the action!

Live

Promo

12" Mix

16. On the original end of decade list just 25 tracks had sold 500,000, a tally which has now more than doubled.

17. You truly can't beat a bit of 80s Tina! This is one of her finest looks too:
    [​IMG]

Filippa, Wishlight, discoteca and 4 others like this.
  18. I love Tell It To My Heart so much I have the UK 12" framed in my flat

[​IMG]

What a woman, what a weave.

19. Great look, can't deny that! But, always love this even more so:
    [​IMG]

20. That's a great song too, my favourite Taylor Dayne track is this Top 10 hit which has been unfairly forgotten in the mists of time

I maintain this is one of the great lost singles of the 80s and would have given her another Top 10 in 1988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.