UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I would not mind!

phoenix123 likes this.
  2. 194. STAR- Kiki Dee (#13, 1981, 176,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 184

Another artist who had to struggle to finally make an impact after initial disinterest from the record buying public, but things got turned around after she was signed to Elton John’s rocket label. In addition to providing backing vocals to many an Elton track, she also started to accumulate hits herself, and of course made the top in 1976 in duet with him on “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”. After a quiet period for her she bounced back with this hit in 1981 which you may recall went on to be the theme of BBC’s “Opportunity Knocks” between 87 and 90.

Promo

TV Slot

No 12" released.

3. 193. WHEN I THINK OF YOU- Janet Jackson (#10, 1986, 176,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 183

Another US chart topper, it’s also another song that just scrapped the top 10 here. Jackson’s LP set “Control” provided her with three top 10 hits the smallest of which was 1986’s “When I Think Of You” , and when it hit the top in the US it meant that Jackson and her brother became the first and to date only brother and sister act to have separate chart toppers there.

Promo

TV slot

12" Remix

Wishlight, Blond, 2014 and 8 others like this.
  4. I LOVE When I Think Of You. Even #10, was too low for a song this good.

discoteca and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. 192. CLOUDBUSTING- Kate Bush (#20, 1985, 177,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: N/A

Bush’s second single from “Hounds Of Love” came with a promo which starred Donald Sutherland and was inspired by the novel “A Book Of Dreams” by Peter Reich which recalls the relationship between Reich and his father- yes the story behind the song is all true! It found fame again sampled on Utah Saint’s “Something Good” which hit the top 10 in both 1992 and 2008 which helped its digital sales.

Promo

TV Slot

12" Mix

6. Ah, Kate Bush. She and her music will always have a special place in my 80's and 90's memories

7. I feel like everyone decided with single 3 they'd take a chance on the album so the single did less than it would have. It certainly prompted me to buy 'Control'

8. She only had three singles on this list based on 80s only sales....she's done far better now!

9. Same here, on cassette!

10. Snap! I got a new 'boom box' and boy did I wear that cassette out!

Hairycub1969, WoW73 and berserkboi like this.
  11. Cloudbusting, truly timeless.

12. I saw the Music Video at the cinema before the film "Back to the future" back in Nov 1985. They used to show music videos before the main feature in those days. My mind was blown watching "Cloudbusting" on the big screen!

13. We got Material Girl and Dress you up (which I hadn't seen at at that point) before 'Desperately seeking Susan'-SUCH a thrill seeing them on the big screen.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  14. Sounds like great times! 80s pop culture at it's best.

15. We were living the "Stranger Things" life!

16. We have our first climber from the original 80s list coming up!

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  17. 191. DROP THE PILOT- Joan Armatrading (#11, 1983, 178,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 198

Criminally she’s only managed two top 20 hits in our charts. 1976’s “Love and Understanding” just made the top 10 and this track which narrowly missed matching the aforementioned tracks peak position. Now something of a forgotten classic Armatrading has long been confined with the tag “more of an album artist”- perhaps so but “Drop The Pilot” proved she was capable of some stonking singles.

Promo

TOTP

No 12" version ever released.

18. Never heard of that song before must admit!!

berserkboi likes this.
  19. 190. ROUND AND ROUND- Jaki Graham (#9, 1985, 178,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 161

Her first solo hit after that David Grant duet proved to be a big hit for the Birmingham born lass. Her main claim to fame in the US is getting to the top of the Billboard Hot club play chart in 1994 with her version of “Ain’t Nobody” a song which made only No 44 here, her 80s output being entirely overlooked.

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

20. 189. I DON’T WANNA GET HURT- Donna Summer (#7, 1989, 178,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 173

Summer was back big style in 1989! Hurtling her chartwise were of course unofficial rulers of the chart S/A/W, Waterman had always wanted to produce Summer since her heyday back in the 70s. The album they made for her “Another Time & Place” produced three top 20 hits, this was the second one making the top 10 in June 1989, but it debuted at No 19, at the time the second highest debut EVER for the 70s legend after the fabled “I Feel Love” in 1977 which went in four places higher. Reputedly Summer wasn’t keen on the song which doesn’t really explain why she allowed it to be released or why she did TOTP to help promote it….

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.