UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Hits Of The 80s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Jul 18, 2021.

1. It does seem odd to refuse to be in the video when you recorded it in the first place and then appear on TOTP to mime it.

Possibly my favourite Donna song despite the lack of video.

2. I Don't Wanna Get Hurt, what a great follow up to the divine This Time I Know It's For Real. A bit forgotten these day by general public alas, but still just as good as it's predecessor.

3. Just too add, have all 5 singles from the Another Place In Time, framed on a side wall in my flat, in their 12" inch glory! Courtesy of this:
    [​IMG]

4. The more I think about it the more I believe that's an urban myth and that she was probably just busy promoting "TTIKIFR" all over the world and just didn't have time to make the promo (or something equally mundane)

5. That would make more sense to be honest. Quite sure by that time in her career, Donna Summer would easily say no to recording a song she disliked.

6. I listen to I Don't Wanna Get Hurt more than This Time I Know It's For Real these days. The 7" remix is divine!

7. I don't wanna...is great but This time... is in another league altogether.

Wishlight, berserkboi and MilesAngel like this.
  8. It's fab!

berserkboi and idratherjack like this.
  9. I always found the lyrics to I Don't Wanna Get Hurt to be a little too basic for Donna. Still a great song, though!

Wishlight and berserkboi like this.
  10. Donna Summer and SAW were a match made in pop heaven. I'm so glad Another Place And Time exists.

11. Here, here, what an album!!

MilesAngel and idratherjack like this.
  12. 188. JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED- Mari Wilson (#8, 1982, 183,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 157

With a backing group named the Wilsations and backing singers called the Marionettes (which at times included Julie Fordham and Michelle Collins) Wilson had a few chart failures before striking it lucky with this track in late 1982. Much media interest surrounded the singer with her evident 60s influenced music and bee hive hairdo but the record buyers of the day didn’t follow the newspapers lead and only one top 30 hit followed for the singer but she did provide the theme “Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps” for the TV show “Coupling”.

TOTP

Promo

12" Mix

13. 187. SHAKE YOUR LOVE- Debbie Gibson (#7, 1988, 184,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 175

Yes the 80s Britney is back with her highest peaking hit of her career and her best seller at the close of the 80s. Her first big hit, this made No 4 in late 1987 stateside making her a teenage sensation at the time and true enough UK success wasn’t long in following with the track making the top 10 in Feb 1988. The video incidentally is once again choreographed by Abdul who seemed to be doing virtually every video in the late 80s, and made Gibson the cutest thing in pop for about a month before Kylie came along and blew her out of the water. Younger readers may know her better as Katy Perry’s mother in the video for “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)”.

Promo

TOTP

12" Mix

14. 186. WATER ON GLASS/ BOYS- Kim Wilde (#11, 1981, 185,000)

[​IMG]

80s position: 189

Each of Wilde’s first 4 singles make this rundown evidencing her popularity at the beginning of the decade. Wiki says this is a song about tinnitus- surely one of the more unusual songs in the charts if that’s true, this is Wilde’s first appearance so far, hope you like her there’s many more to come!

TOTP

TV slot (No promo made for the single).

No 12" Mix released

Boys

15. Oh yes, we like Kim Wilde! Looking forward to seeing many more of her bops in this thread.

Just What I Always Wanted is one of the earliest songs I can remember liking as a child, great little song.

Nice to see Debbie Gibson make the countdown too, I was a huge fan back in the day and Out of the Blue is one of the best debut albums of all time as far as I'm concerned. I hope to see her rival Tiffany make a few appearances too as I liked her even more!

16. Mari Wilson also makes a guest appearance in Soft Cell's "What" Music Video from August 1982. She's sitting on the sofa next to Marc Almond!

17. Shows how strong the UK chart was in 1981, that a #11 hit could sell almost 200K.

18. Was thinking the same. Have a feeling the follow up Cambodia which only made no.12 in December 81, still sold between 200,000 to 250,000 (should find out exactly later in the countdown). As you say, just shows how high sales were in late 1981.

19. Shake Your Love, what a MEGA bop! As about as late 80s as it gets too.

20. Play that in a top ten with:
    I should be so lucky
    Heaven is a place on Earth
    I think we're alone now
    I found someone
    Tell it to my heart...and welcome to Jan 1988...Joe le Taxi should be pulling up soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.