UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Singles of the 90s | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

UK Top 200 Best Selling Female Solo Singles of the 90s

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by gezza76, Oct 14, 2021.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

From This Moment On is Shania at her best for me. Chills!!

2. Promise me *GASP* you’ll wait for me *GASP*

She obviously took some vocal tips from Lananeeneenoonoo.

3. From This Moment On, isn't the best Come On Over single, but still a classic.

4. 85. TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART- Nicki French (‘#5, 1995, 331,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 61

Long a session singer, French took the Bonnie Tyler classic and made something quite camp into something gloriously camp. Originally released in 1994 the song did very little peaking at No 54 before somewhat out of blue, capturing the US audience where the song catapulted all the way to No 2 causing a re-issue here in early 95.

This time no such failure as the song went top 5, sadly she looked like joining the one hit wonder club (In terms of top 40 hits anyway) before she was roped into the 2000 Eurovision Song Contest and “Don’t Play That Song Again” made No 34 almost double the position she finished the contest in.

TOTP

Promo

5. 84. LOOK AT ME- Geri Halliwell (#2, 1999, 334,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 46

After leaving the Spice Girls in a blaze of glory in May 1998 Geri recorded the “Schizophonic” album which was ready by spring 1999, and this was the lead single. Beaten by 748 copies to the No 1 spot by Boyzone, Geri made up for it by scoring four chart toppers in a row after this, proving this was just a minor slip up to her burgeoning solo career.

TOTP

Promo

Wishlight, 2014, discoteca and 3 others like this.
  6. 83. BECAUSE WE WANT TO- Billie (#1, 1998, 337,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 55

Rightfully restored to Billie’s best seller from the 90s with digital sales is this 1998 chart topper. “Because We Want To” was the debut hit for the then 15 yr old, making her only the 8th artist in history to debut at No 1 with their first hit whilst simultaneously becoming the second youngest female ever to make the top after Helen Shapiro in the 60s. She also had the bad fortune of the England World Cup team to thank for her chart topper, until they lost during that week, Baddiel & Skinner were heading for a fourth week at No 1 with “Three Lions 98” - a good result for Billie.

TV Slot

Promo

7. I bought the Nicki French single and was obsessed with it at the time, I obviously knew the original but not that well at the time. As Nickis version was the one I was most familiar growing up I didn’t notice for years and years that they obviously added in a new bridge “Every now and then I know you’ll always be the boy you’ve always wanted to be, every now and then I know you’ll always be the only boy who wanted me the way that I am, every now and then I know there’s no one in the universe as magical and wonderful as you” I wonder why? I guess it was a bit too short as a Hi NRG record, though why not just repeat the original bridge?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 8:31 PM
    MilesAngel likes this.
  8. Look At Me, may well just be my favourite Geri single.

MilesAngel likes this.
  9. Because We Want To. The best record the Spice Girls never made.

berserkboi and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  10. Billie was truly a great popstar.

idratherjack likes this.
  11. It was all about Honey to the Bee from the debut era for me, I was never that fussed for the 1st 3 singles.

discoteca and berserkboi like this.
  12. Not really a fan of those three. I feel like they demonstrate the sales inflation of the late 90s. The early 90s songs we’ve recently had feel much “bigger” hits.

MilesAngel and discoteca like this.
  13. I only like She Wants You out of the Billie singles... Because We Want To is horrible.

MilesAngel likes this.
  14. Day & Night / Something Deep Inside are the only Billie songs I liked but that’s another decade…..

15. 82. SWEETNESS- Michelle Gayle (#4, 1994, 338,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 54

Originally an actress Gayle rose to fame via Grange Hill, London’s Burning and eventually Eastenders as Hattie Tavernier. Off the back of this she released her first album in 1994 and “Sweetness” was her biggest hit and indeed the only one to make our rundown. After being dropped from her record label in 1998 Gayle returned to TV and did some presenting, even penning her first novel in 2011.

TOTP

Promo

16. 81. LIFE- Des’ree (#8, 1998, 343,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 71

Winning a BBC poll for the worst lyric ever, it didn’t stop the UK public from making it her highest peaking hit ever and reaching the top 10 here. Rhyming “Ghost” “Most” and “Toast” took all of one second I guess but even at the time it was widely derided, not withstanding she also won the 1999 BRIT award for Best Female Solo Act so go figure. This was her biggest seller by the end of the decade but no longer…

TV Slot

Promo

17. 80. I LOVE YOUR SMILE- Shanice (#2, 1991, 344,000)

[​IMG]

90s position: 87

Another example of a remix turning the trick is this little gem from 1992. Originally released to an uninterested audience in 1991, Shanice peaked at No 55 before it was made UK “friendly” and saw the Driza Bone Remix catapult it to No 2 behind Shakespeare’s Sister. Always more successful in the US than she was here, this was her sole UK top 20 hit though she did provide vocals for a big Toni Braxton hit which is still to come on this rundown!

TOTP

Promo

18. Michelle Gayle's Sweetness was transformed into one of my all time favourite club bangers courtesy of this amazing West End remix

berserkboi and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  19. Absolute tune! My most played song of 2020 according to Amazon Music. Proudly so too.

20. I was gonna mention those plus Walk of Life but I was scared I’d end up on the naughty step again…

Sweetness is one of my absolute favourite 90s pop songs, that and Crazy for You both kept the top 10 lit that summer!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.