Ultimate 2000s: Albums Justice Reveals (#320) | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Albums Justice Reveals (#320)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SophiaSophia, Jan 1, 2022.

1. [​IMG]

Happy New Year! and Welcome to the Ultimate 2000s Albums Justice Countdown.

22 years ago it was the start of another decade the behemoth that was the noughties. So it is only about right that we take a retrospective look back to the decade. The decade in which saw my teenage years start off with a small handful of cds and a personal CD player and then end with a Spotify account and a plethora of music at my behest. In between I witnessed 56k dial up internet, skinny jeans, the cha-cha slide, tv talent shows, the demise of a well loved British Highstreet shop, countless boy and girl groups, and of course living legend Britney Spears. Honestly it was very eventful to surmise.

[​IMG]

Unlike other Ultimate Albumjustice Editions this time you will create a list of 20 albums, with your #1 album receiving 20 points, #2 receiving 19 points etc. then all the way down to #20 receiving just 1 point.

Once you've completed your list of 20 albums, send your PMs to @SophiaSophia your list or alternatively you can use the spreadsheet template to send me your list and include the link in your PM instead. Commentary is highly encouraged but don’t feel pressured to write essays, a sentence or two about how much this album means to you and why you chose it is more than satisfactory.

Like with other Ultimate Albumjustice editions you will also pick 3 songs to represent each album in your list; a recommendation to a newcomer, a personal favourite & a deep cut.

To be eligible albums must have been released between 1 JANUARY 2000 and 31 DECEMBER 2009. Albums released before or after WILL NOT COUNT. Please check release dates when compiling your lists as different regions will have different release dates. Reissues will only count if they are released in the eligible timeframe and if they contain additional new material (e.g Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded). Reissues will not be treated as separate entries e.g The Fame + The Fame Monster will be treated as one entry.

So that there is a variety of artists and genres in this in decade countdown you will be limited to only 1 ALBUM PER ARTIST. The only exception to this rule will be for Solo Artists that are/were members of groups,bands duos etc. (E.G. Destiny’s Child and BEYONCÉ will be counted as separate entries). Groups/Bands with multiple line up changes will be treated as one artist. The only exception being relating to groups with sub units which will be counted as a separate from their origin group.

Albums will be accepted in the following formats:

EPs

Mixtapes (commercial or not)

Live albums

DJ mixes

Recordings of classical compositions/jazz pieces/traditional folk music that were made between 2000-09

Film/television/video game scores

Soundtracks that consist entirely of new material

Compilations of previously unreleased material (whether said material was recorded in 2000-09 or not)

Albums Formats Not Accepted:

"Various Artists" albums (such as stuff in the "Now! That's What I Call Music" vein, label compilations, etc.)

Compilations of previously released material (such as a "Greatest Hits")

Bootleg/leaked/unauthorised albums

Concert videos (if they have an accompanying album, however, this will be accepted)

Soundtracks containing previously released material

Any questions regarding the rules then feel free to enquire in the thread.

If you’re a real pursuer of lists like me then do take part in the Ultimate 2000s Singles Justice too where @Phonetics Girl is in charge.

The deadline to vote will be JANUARY 31 MIDNIGHT in your time zone

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Remorque, Crisp X, Zar-Unity and 25 others like this.
  2. Participants

Aester
    Ana Raquel
    berserkboi
    beyoncésweave
    BubblegumBoy
    Crisp X
    Dangerous Maknae
    Daniel_O
    Ezz
    Gimme Work
    Ironheade
    Island
    KingBruno
    klow
    londonrain
    Lost In Japan
    m_dimitrov
    maki
    marie_05
    MilesAngel
    Music Is Death
    No hay Banda
    Phonetics Girl
    pop3blow2
    Runawaywithme
    saviodxl
    sfmartin
    Solenciennes
    SophiaSophia
    soratami
    Sprockrooster
    Ugly Beauty
    Untouchable Ace
    Verandi
    VivaForver
    WhenTheSunGoesDown
    WowWowWowWow
    Zar-Unity

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  3. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

So here for this!

(@SophiaSophia, you may want to make the template read-only so that people don't make changes directly in your file. I've learned this from experience.)

4. Ariana rate flashbacks ddd

Anyway, I'm very much here for this, though only being able to pick one single album by certain artists is going to be a real struggle.

5. So here for this! I already anticipate a bloodbath.

Edit: If an album was intially released in the states and some counties in 2009 but in the UK/EU in 2010 can I still include it? I have one in mind that falls into this category.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  6. What about re-issues?

Asking for a friend that might vote for The Fame Monster and wants to know if giving points to The Fame would be the same thing.

7. I'm pretty certain you can, the album was first released in the 00s after all.

8. Albums released between 2000-2009 in any country qualify and any album released in any country after 31 Dec 2009 won’t count.

Reissues will not be counted separately this also applies to reissues by groups that had a member line up change e.g Sugababes Taller In More Ways.

9. So as long as it was officially released in some reigons before December 31st 2009 it counts?

10. Yes it will count.

I will be checking everyone’s lists so if I do see any albums that don’t qualify in accordance to the rules I will be messaging you to amend your list but I hope it won’t come to this.

11. Thanks for clarifying! Sorry if it was a dumb question just wanted to get it right. I'm so excited for this! I love seeing everyone's picks and hearing everyone's thoughts about the albums and learning about new ones.

Zar-Unity, Maki and Phonetics Girl like this.
  12. I just want to clarify further that albums with staggered release dates and also have different track listings in different countries are still eligible. As long as said versions were released between 2000-2009. For example the Swedish and International versions of Dance Love Pop by Agnes are eligible but the UK version isn’t as it was released in 2010.

Regarding the following if you could make clear in your lists what versions you have included as it makes a lot easier to check release dates.

13. Is Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack eligible (i.e., does it count as new material since it's new recordings)? Asking for a me.

My longlist only had 32 albums. The ones that didn't make the cut:
    • Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Trip the Light Fantastic (due to 1 album per artist rule)
    • The Corrs - In Blue (same)
    • Scooch - Four Sure
    • Kim Wilde - Never Say Never
    • La Roux - La Roux
    • Lorie - 2Lor en moi? (would have been cut anyway due to 1-album rule)
    • Linda Bengtzing - Ingenting att förlora
    • Mandy Moore - Coverage (see Lorie)
    • various - The Princess Diaries
    • Plumb - Chaotic Resolve
    • Priscilla - Une fille comme moi

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  14. Yes the movie soundtrack counts.

I shall make an attempt at some point during the week to do a tagging spree so if you want to be tagged then make sure you have liked the first post. Considering the current forum speed issue the tag spree will be done in phases.

15. Here for this! Thank goodness there's that 'one album per artist' rule, otherwise I'd be struggling a lot when compiling the list. By the way, I'm obviously in (dis)advantage by not having heard 00s albums by some of the forum faves (Britney Spears, Girls Aloud, Mariah Carey), as well as some of my suspected personal faves (Evanescence, LP, Garbage, Lara Fabian, System of a Down etc.). It should be easier to do this before I get to listen any of the albums by these artists.

16. Out of curiosity, I counted up how many albums made my list from each year:
    • 2000 - 1
    • 2001 - 5
    • 2002 - 2
    • 2003 - 1
    • 2004 - 1
    • 2005 - 2
    • 2006 - 0 (poor it)
    • 2007 - 3
    • 2008 - 2
    • 2009 - 3
    Let's hear it for 2001, I guess? It makes sense that I'd lean toward music from that time though, since that's when one of the two albums that really shaped my taste in pop came out, and the other was in 2002. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more from 2009, as I've long maintained that was one of the greatest years for pop.

17. @SophiaSophia my favourite song from an era is a not officially released alternate of a song from the album.

Also similarly can any of our 3 song choices be b-sides from the era?

What are your thoughts?

Phonetics Girl, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  18. The other Sugababies and me having to pick only one of One Touch or Three to vote for:

[​IMG]

Please support the Best Album Of All Time (so obviously also the best album of the 00s):

marie_05, Ugly Beauty, sinner and 6 others like this.
  19. In regards to the 3 song choices they have to be from said albums track listing and B-Sides can be chosen if they were included on the album. But the best place to show love for B-Sides is in the song justice thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.