Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#226-223 | 15s) | Page 55 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#226-223 | 15s)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Girl, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Which year was the best?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2022.
  1. 2000

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. 2001

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 2002

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 2003

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 2004

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 2005

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. 2006

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. 2007

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. 2008

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. 2009

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
    (15/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    LEAVE (GET OUT) | JOJO

Voted By: @Music Is Death
    Year: 2004
    Country of Origin: USA
    Appearance: 2nd

2. Ezz

Ezz

Queeeeeeeeeeen @Ana Raquel. How did I overlook this one?!?

3. Once again, sorry for the delay but I was hit by a televangelist's private jet plane, in a way. Five more lovely songs (including my most predictable 11 fffff) but it's Leave (Get Out) that brought me to my knees - I always underestimated how much I loved it and now, with the added power of nostalgia, it slaps triple hard!

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Definitely not a story that could do with some elaborating.

5. The vice-grip that Kids had on late-aughts and early 2010s teens. Incredible song.

6. It's wild seeing Kids and Leave (Get Out) eliminated back to back and that they were released only four years apart. They seem to be from two completely different eras.

7. We took a while to see The Saturdays here, eh?

8. Some brilliant songs again!

Only one vote for Don’t Give It Up? I guess that might be it for Siobhan in this thread, then? It remains such a masterpiece and it deserved better in the Twenty Quid rate, too.

Drumming Song is fantastic too. Probably the unsung hero from the Lungs era.

James Morrison’s career may have been a bit samey overall, but he was way too talented to fall off the radar that quickly (and also much more likeable than certain guitar balladeers from the 2010s!). Broken Strings was lovely.

Gravity by Sara Bareilles was in a pop quiz I took part in once and I was the only one who knew the answer, hehe.

It does feel weird that Kids and Leave (Get Out) are only four years apart. Kids just feels so recent, it’s wild that this is 14 years old already! Loved MGMT at the time, but I haven’t really kept up with their career. Time to check out their later stuff, I think!

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    (16/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    LIKE A STONE | AUDIOSLAVE

Voted By: @DJHazey
    Year: 2002

DJHazey Commentary:
    In my nu metal rate, I often mentioned that back in high school (1999-2002) I would wait until no one was home and blast music in my bedroom and pretend I was the lead singer as “the concert” played out there. (Usually using a comb as a microphone) I know I was a fool to think I’d ever sound anything close to the late-great Chris Cornell, but I put my heart into trying! This was always one of my favorites when I was feeling one way or another and wanted to belt it out of my system. The lyrics are something deep about the afterlife, but whether I really understood what was being said or not, I got my life screaming every word. It’s also the fact that this is sonically the rock version of a song like “Forever Is Over” for example, since I just posted it. The only difference is the instrumental is from the former Rage Against the Machine members that made up Audioslave, instead of synths and programming, and this one powerful voice instead of five. Considering the themes surrounding the song and the fact that I’m pretty much on the fence as far as my beliefs of the afterlife/religion, I think it’d be the perfect way to soundtrack my exit from this world, whenever that day arrives. It’s certainly massive enough to support such an event.

(17/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    LITTLE MISS OBSESSIVE | ASHLEE SIMPSON

Voted By: @Sprockrooster
    Year: 2008

(18/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    MISTAKE | STEPHANIE MCINTOSH

Voted By: @livefrommelbs
    Year: 2006
    Country of Origin: Australia

livefrommelbs commentary:
    Honestly, if this makes anyone else's list I'll lose my damn mind - but make no MISTAKE, it's in my top 10 of the decade without any shadow of a doubt. Just about the only hit single from 00s Neighbours icon Stephanie Mcintosh aka Sky Mangel, 'Mistake' plays like the best pop-rock anthem Avril, The Veronicas, Kelly or Hilary never recorded. That chorus is just such a rush - and I've only grown to love it more and more as nostalgia kicks in over the years. If you're reading this and you haven't heard 'Mistake' yet, please press play, grab the nearest hairbrush and get your damn life.

(19/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    PAPARAZZI | LADY GAGA

Voted By: @Ashling92
    Year: 2008
    Appearance: 4th

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Are there gonna be any songs with multiple votes??

(20/26)
    12 points

[​IMG]
    REGRETS (I HAVE NONE) | MEJA

Voted By: @Zar-Unity
    Year: 2009
    Country of Origin: Sweden

Zar-Unity Commentary:
    Probably Meja's most quirky song and a sure standout!

15. 140, out of which we've already had 13, to be precise

Honestly, though, one voter for Paparazzi?
    [​IMG]

This batch was something for the pop rock girls, I see. I have to agree that Like A Stone feels like a cathartic moment!

16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah that can't be right (although I can see how she has multiple songs fighting for those votes..)

17. My 12 pointer starts with an L, so I've been in suspense since yesterday! But it has passed the test.

Paparazzi is one of the biggest shocks so far. And I'll take one Skarsgård to go.

18. Like A Stone - what a song! One I did not expect to see here, but so glad it is! <3 Great choice @DJHazey !!

19. 'Mistake' is still massive, after all this time.

20. my pick, forever is over and kids out? what a vile cut!!!

I don't remember when I first heard this song but it was one of those that made me a trance fan. I imagine Diana's vocals might sound annoying to some people but when she promises to be there fooooreveeeeeeeeeeeeer, I truly felt that.

Also it's now remastered and available on Spotify!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.