Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#307 | 12s) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#307 | 12s)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Girl, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Which year was the best?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2022.
  1. 2000

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. 2001

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 2002

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 2003

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 2004

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 2005

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. 2006

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. 2007

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. 2008

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. 2009

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. It will probably take me until 11.55pm on 31 January to complete it but I am doing this.

2. This is almost un-doable but I'm glad I saw the thread. I have to make so many rules for myself so I can narrow down my list to 20.

3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I think it's also going to hurt acts with great back catalogues like them!

Phonetics Girl and MilesAngel like this.
  4. Some early tea: after 4 ballots, the most represented act so far has 6 songs on the countdown and no, it's not Girls Aloud (yet). Excited to watch things unfold!

And back to the tagging marathon:
    [​IMG]
    Hi @Someboy @Lila @chanex @ohnoitisnathan @Japan Bonus Track
    Here's your invitation to join another Ultimate Popjustice countdown.
    All I need is your top 20 songs of the 00s by 31.01!

5. Maki, Music Is Death, sesita and 2 others like this.
  6. Amateur. My longlist is a dissertation on the decline of girl and boy groups, the fall and rise of electropop, and how country-pop went backwards over the course of the 2000s. The fact I am forced to shorten this to 20 songs makes me feel like a PhD student who's just gone to work for buzzfeed.

7. You didn't specify whether you're expecting commentary. I think I'm going to make it easier for you (and myself) by not sending it and then typing a quick eulogy after the songs have been posted. This will be easier for me to handle each song one at a time as they come up, rather than do a lot of thinking about what to write now for 20 songs at once.

8. Reminder of the Greatest Trilogy of All Time:

9. Oh, commentary is welcome in any capacity. Whatever works for you better, whether it's posting in the thread or sending it to me, it's all cool.
    First time seeing this and oh my... Deceased!

Maki, Ezz, soratami and 3 others like this.
  10. Let me take this opportunity to post the MAD TV Ashlee Simpson parody too

11. 160 songs in my long list down to 27.

12. I think these are unnecessarily cruel in parts.

13. Has someone already figured out whether That's The Way It Is peaked in 2000, and would therefore be eligible?

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  14. [​IMG]
    Looks like it!

15. I'm not talking about That's The Way It Is specifically, but I do think the "peaked in the 00s" thing should be reserved for songs that didn't do much/anything in the 90s and only really became hits in the 00s. If a song was already a hit in 99 but happened to chart slightly higher in 00, does it really belong here?

Sprockrooster and Phonetics Girl like this.
  16. This precedent was set when hits like Bad Romance and Tik Tok were allowed in the 2010s countdown. Personally, I don't see the harm in songs released at the break of a decade that had longevity and significant chart presence well into 2000 being included.

17. Maki, Music Is Death, RUNAWAY and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.