Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#307 | 12s) | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (#307 | 12s)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Girl, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Which year was the best?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2022.
  1. 2000

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. 2001

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 2002

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 2003

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 2004

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 2005

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. 2006

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. 2007

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. 2008

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. 2009

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. This was SO HARD I can't believe I actually finished my list. I hope you bring justice to the songs I couldn't!

The stats:

2000 - 1
    2001 - 4
    2002 - 1
    2003 - 3
    2004 - 0
    2005 - 3
    2006 - 2
    2007 - 1
    2008 - 4
    2009 - 1

US - 10
    UK - 6
    CA - 1
    AUS - 1
    COL - 1
    FIN - 1

2. Awwwww if it helps, most of my trance picks would have been vetoed!!!!!

Phonetics Girl, Ezz and berserkboi like this.
  3. Submitted!

To be perfectly honest, I could have easily done a top 20 each for 2000, 2001 and 2002!

2000 - 5
    2001 - 4
    2002 - 3
    2003 - 1
    2005 - 1
    2007 - 2
    2008 - 2
    2009 - 2

And a bit of a mix, generally pop but a little surprise here and there.

I went by deciding how obsessed I was with a particular song, did I buy it as a single, did I track down every remix, did I learn all the words, and most importantly, am I still as equally obsessed with it!

4. Here are 4 Swedish songs I couldn't fit into my Top 20 (3 are from the same producer)

5. FYC 3 - Girl Group Edition

(I keep seeing posts where people freely admit to culling this last one from their ballots which is beginning to cause me great alarm!)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    londonrain, marie_05, Aester and 7 others like this.
  6. I've submitted!

A few songs that sadly just missed my ballot:

Zar-Unity, Cotton Park, 2014 and 6 others like this.
  7. Some songs that missed my top 20 for some reason.

8. #37 | The Saturdays | Forever Is Over | 2009 | Pop | [​IMG]

Hey! What timing is this? Just as I've thrown my hat into the ring to be the next host of their discography rate, this song comes up. I guess this will be a spoiler for my 11 contenders, but if anyone remembers the 2015 rate, you'd remember me having a meltdown when it was eliminated at #29!!! (as my 11) Let's please try to fix it this around, mmmkay? I became a Saturdays fan before I ever joined this forum and learned what a Girls Aloud even was dd. Back then, I was into 100% basic bops and Eurodance, with a member from another discussion forum (centered around those genres) pointing this band out to me. I dove into their material because it was loaded with bops, so it's really quite something that one of their best 'slowies' takes the cake. The only thing I need for a pop song to be effective is a huge chorus that's catchy. That's all I ask for, something I can scream along to, over and over again, without losing any of the excitement. If I presented my playlist of all-time favorites for you, you'd notice several instances of this and oftentimes they're what people would consider to be power ballads. So maybe I'm more of a ballad stan than people might realize? At least a "basic balladier AND basic bopper". Vanessa's glorious chorus is an magnificent example of what I love most about pop. Something that oozes with passion and urgency, while vocally soaring high above clouds. That first "forever is ooooooooooover and my heart's not gonna break" never fails to deliver and the buildup helps to keep everything special no matter how many times I've heard the song.

<3
    "cause if I don't get out now,
    I might never escape,
    your power is fading away"
    <3

9. How do we feel about songs that were part of a movie and have a music video but were never commercially released being allowed? Asking for a friend

10. Oh my gawd....

I got my list done.

I almost can't look at this thread until the countdown starts, because everyone's lists & FYCs are anxiety inducing! ddd

11. I had to amend my ballot so here are some more.

12. Hopefully will have this in by tonight! Just got to make some last minute changes.

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  13. #36 | Avril Lavigne | Together | 2004 | Pop-Rock | [​IMG]

Oh, what a surprise this must be for some of you. As I mentioned, my entire Top 40 is using the 'one song per artist' rule, so yes this means Avril misses my ballot. You may remember that in the first edition of Ultimate Popjustice, I had Keep Holding On as my #1 song and might be wondering where it is, because it's certainly eligible. I don't know, while many songs from that Top 20 have held their ground, Keep Holding On has transformed into a regular old 10/10 for me. I've always had a long list of favorite Avril songs anyway, so the 'top spot' has always changed hands, depending on my mood. I think at that time I was on a major Keep Holding On kick and considered Avril as my #1 artist, so putting the song #1 felt right. You may also recall how that song is special to me for helping me dive into pop and that definitely remains the case; it's why I'll always have it be a part of my life. Together has been an Avril Lavigne song I would put into her Top 3 since the moment I got into her music. When I sat down to make a shortlist for this, I wondered if I would feel passionate enough about anything from Avril or if I'd just decide that I love a lot of her songs about the same. A large amount of love, mind you, but without anything truly standing out, head and shoulders above the rest. When I came across Together, I had some moments, after having not heard the song in a bit. She made some points, so here we are. I think it feels right too, to show my allegiance hasn't faded.

<3
    "When I'm alone, I
    Feel so much better
    And when I'm around you
    I don't feel..."
    <3

14. Together is one of my favourite Avril deep cuts. Now, I do have to wonder how many of her songs will find their way to the countdown...

15. I’m almost finished with mine, will send it within the next few days.

Just a few songs I think will not fit my list:

16. I'm having several meltdowns over this. I just kicked out Avril in favour of Booty Luv. My head is spinning.

17. This is almost impossible. I'm stressed. Picking a single Beyonce and Rihanna song is hard enough without everything else.

18. Just a friendly reminder to everyone: you can still have 2 entries by the same artist here, it's only in the Albums edition that a single pick is allowed.

19. Yes if you ever see me say 'one song per artist rule' that is just a self-imposed rule because I wanted that variety on my own ballot.

Maki and Phonetics Girl like this.
  20. Yeah I was aware I'm just trying to limit myself to one. It's hard either way :(

Maki and Phonetics Girl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.