(12/26)
12 points

Forever%20Is%20Over.jpg

FOREVER IS OVER | THE SATURDAYS

Voted By: @Phonetics Girl
Year: 2009
Country of Origin: England

Commentary:
I always scream when I see what they did to poor Rochelle's hair!
The obsession I've had with this song ever since it was first released never seems to fade, though.

Thankful as ever that you picked this and still had my old Sats 11 represented! *heart emoji*

(22/26)
12 points

custom-5961b8c5791457335c277edf01912b89.jpg

TAKE THE BOX | AMY WINEHOUSE

Voted By: @RUNAWAY
Year: 2003

RUNAWAY COMMENTARY:
this is the song that made me an Amy fan. I heard You Know I’m No Good on VH1 or something and immediately looked her up and went to my local Virgin Megastore and picked up Frank as it was the only thing out at the time in the US, and everything was just amazing, but when I hit this song I was....just really taken with her voice. I felt, and still feel every emotion of this song that she put into it, and it has remained my favorite song of Amy’s catalog, and one of my favorites of all time (obviously, as I’m including it in here.)

(25/26)
12 points

tumblr_inline_p5spfmhud21seia2d_500.jpg

WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? | EMMA BUNTON

Voted By: @saviodxl
Year: 2001

saviodxl commentary:
With 3 of her mates having reached the podium of the UK charts at least once, she did what she had to do to reach the summit too! But instead of going full rock meets singer songwriter persona like Mel C, flirting with Hip Hop and R&B like Mel B or going full bubbly like Halliwell, miss Bunton went a slightly different route. She kept her sweet personality and voice, added country pop elements sounding like a Sheryl-Crow-for-the-teens, created an irresistible, simple yet effective pleasant chorus, and called Biffco (responsible for most Spice Girls hits) to produce it. The result is this drive-along-radio hit that is my favorite solo Spice number 1! Soft pop in its purest form.

she/her
(23/26)
12 points

i-kate-havnevik-melankton.jpg

TIMELESS | KATE HAVNEVIK

Voted By: @Crisp X
Year: 2007
Country of Origin: Norway

Ahh I'm not sure I remember how my listener journey with Kate Havnevik started but her debut album really expanded my love for trip-hop and art-y pop music. "Timeless" is a deep cut in its purest form, considering it's only included on a couple of like 5 or 6 editions of this album... which is a choice. I'm so glad we're mostly past those release shenanigans because I can't imagine missing out on such a gem!

It was an immediate stand out for many reasons:
  • Kate's ethereal vocals. There's something so gentle and pleasant about her voice, and how it seamlessly blends with the music, especially on her more trip-hop material
  • The stunning production, starting with a classical/soundtrack feel and then revealing itself as the song moves towards the electronica second half
  • It's heavy on ominous strings, helping me feel transported to another world each time I listen to it
  • It has a dark and eerie feel, and I've always been drawn towards music that makes me feel moody nn

On top of that, I'm just realizing another aspect. Musically and even vocally, I feel like it exists in the same cinematic universe as Frozen by Madonna, which was produced by Guy Sigworth, also one of Kate's main collaborators. It may be a stretch but the connection is there! I'm not sure he's worked on this song in particular, but I think his influence can be heard nevertheless.

So if you're a fan of Madonna's Ray Of Light, Frou Frou, Imogen Heap, Björk's Vespertine, anyone in that realm, surely you should give this a listen!

she/her
(26/26)
12 points

513n5eRSFsL._AC_.jpg

WILD | NAMIE AMURO

Voted By: @Ugly Beauty
Year: 2009
Country of Origin: Japan
Appearance: 2nd

a banger a moment a star

(1/1)
12 points

91E+r9OUkIL._SS500_.jpg

HOPPÍPOLLA | SIGUR RÓS

Voted By: @Ironheade (8) @marie_05 (4)
Year: 2005
Country of Origin: Iceland

I simply HATE sigur rós but I absolutely adore this song? It's the only one I've heard of theirs that felt soothing and intimate to me.

I reckon that this AMV helped a LOT with this impression.