Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (Your Top 5s: #172-170 | 17s) | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (Your Top 5s: #172-170 | 17s)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Girl, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Which year was the best?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2022.
  1. 2000

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. 2001

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 2002

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 2003

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 2004

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 2005

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. 2006

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. 2007

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. 2008

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. 2009

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Come to Retro and I promise/pledge you lots of Disco tracks (mostly in FL though), and well - after this current English centric round ddd

2. I had no idea until today Groovejet sampled something!

3. I’ve been away for a while and unsurprisingly, I return to more losses!

Ghosts are one of my favourite acts of the 00s, even if no one cares or remembers them. Unfortunately calling the final track on their only album ‘Temporary’ turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, seeing as that’s exactly how their career turned out. The song itself obviously takes cues from Sigur Ros (who also happen to be on my list), but it’s such a stunning, epic track. It clocks in at 6 minutes and 44 second, but not a single second of it is wasted.
    It’s one of the great tragedies in pop that we never got to hear their semi-finished second album. I still think they gave up way too easily. Oh well, I believe the singer is a financial analyst nowadays, it’s not like releasing some of the best songs of the 00s can compare to that!

Inner Smile is one of THE songs of the decade. It’s the sound of springtime, the sound of pure joy. It’s easy to forget how big a classic it truly is until you hear it. That “Wowowowowowow-YEEEAAAHH!!!” bit is something else!

Overpowered - Strict Machine - Destroy Everything You Touch is one iconic 00s PJ hattrick! More songs I definitely expected to place higher.

A Sorta Fairytale might be the best thing Tori Amos released in the 00s.

And finally, I’d Wait For Life is honestly the last thing I ever expected to see here (it even came dead last in the Take That rate I hosted back in 2011 - time flies!), but I’m screaming at this beating Umbrella, The Promise, Something Kinda Oooh, Overload, Hole In The Head etc.!

(16/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    MACHINE GUN | PORTISHEAD

Voted By: @Ironheade
    Year: 2008
    Country of Origin: England

(17/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    NEVER TOO LATE | THREE DAYS GRACE

Voted By: @DJHazey
    Year: 2006
    Country of Origin: Canada

DJHazey Commentary:
    Quite possibly my favorite 'pop metal' song of all time. Three Days Grace never got enough praise for my money. These guys just pumped out catchy hit after catchy hit in the mid 00s. I have a soft spot for emo-tinged hard rock like this. Usually Three Days Grace comes a bit harder than this, but this play at being Hinder's rebel cousin was always my elixir. Having been in a few overly dramatic relationships myself, having a chorus this desperate and tragic really hit home for me and made me re-live the moment while singing along.

(18/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    ON THE HORIZON | MELANIE C

Voted By: @saviodxl
    Year: 2003

saviodxl commentary:
    Joyful guitar riffs and trumpets go along with an optimistic declaration of love! Lovely Melanie C delivers one more pleasant bop. Another gem that time forgot, but I'm here to remember!

(19/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    RED DRESS | SUGABABES

Voted By: @m_dimitrov
    Year: 2005
    Appearance: 6th

(20/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    SUNSET | KATE BUSH

Voted By: @Aester
    Year: 2005

9. I do love In It To Win It - definitely a standout track on that album.
    Kabul Shit would probably be in my top 3 of the It's Not Me It's You era, we really need more Lily on this list!
    Red Dress is one of my faves as well.

Fave discoveries this week: Heaven On Earth, A Sorta Fairytale, B.O.B.

10. Not even Kylie being safe I-

I think this was that one track that made me a proper Kylie fan (yes, even before can't get you........) so I ended up picking it for my Kylie pick. She has so many 2000s bangers though!

11. Love seeing some Cut copy so high on Ace's list! I love their music! They are so special to the alternative dance pop scene! Also don't be surprised seeing "Take that" come up so high on someone's list, they are truly legendary!

That is a pretty cool cut from All Saints @Crisp X !

12. Ezz

Ezz

Great picks and glad you enjoyed In the Dark. This takes me straight back to my first house share in 2006, too skint to activate the phone line for the internet so reliant on our 6 CD changer for our weekly pre-drinks! This shows how emotive the softer side of trance can be for me, and would be a contender for my wedding dance (which is why one will never happen ddd). And yeah,it's heartbreaking that Tiësto pumps out such crap now.

13. Ahhh I knew from the moment I was tagged this was gone! Had a little hope that someone else would show it some love tho.

berserkboi and Phonetics Girl like this.
    (21/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    THE CLIMB | MILEY CYRUS

Voted By: @Music Is Death
    Year: 2009
    Country of Origin: USA
    Appearance: 3rd

(22/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    THE LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE | ALLSTARS

Voted By: @Iggypig
    Year: 2002
    Country of Origin: United Kingdom

(23/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    WHOLE AGAIN | ATOMIC KITTEN

Voted By: @Lost In Japan.
    Year: 2000
    Appearance: 2nd

(1/1)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    I TURN TO YOU (HEX HECTOR RADIO MIX) | MELANIE C

Voted By: @Ana Raquel (3) @m_dimitrov (12)

(1/1)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    HEADS WILL ROLL | YEAH YEAH YEAHS

Voted By: @sfmartin (2) @2014 (13)
    Year: 2009
    Country of Origin: USA

sfmartin commentary:
    I had to include something from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in the 00s. Another of my female fronted band obsessions. I loved their early stuff but this and Zero captured me in a way unlike any of their other previous material. Going full throttle into pop-rock extravagance. The wall of bass guitars grounding Karen O’s intoxicating swagger and attitude.

(1/1)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    DAY AND NIGHT | BILLIE PIPER

Voted By: @Daniel_O (3) @SophiaSophia (3) @berserkboi (9)
    Appearance: 3rd

20. Billie Piper Singles Rate when???

Zar-Unity, Ezz, unnameable and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.