Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (Your Top 5s: #172 | 17s) | Page 63 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate 2000s: Song Justice (Your Top 5s: #172 | 17s)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Girl, Jan 1, 2022.

?

Which year was the best?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2022.
  1. 2000

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. 2001

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 2002

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. 2003

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 2004

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 2005

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. 2006

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. 2007

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  9. 2008

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. 2009

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. "A sorta fairytale" had me hooked at the time, and years later it's the one bit of "Scarlett's walk" that I still remember.

Phonetics Girl and berserkboi like this.
  2. A sorta fairytale is another one I nearly voted for, it was #27 on my list. I can't recall if it was the first Tori song I ever heard, but it was definitely one of them, and it's the one that made me a fan.

3. a tad late but this is by far my favorite entry of the 00s in ESC and my second favorite of all time, just behind queen Gina G. At the same time I can't even be bothered by its loss because 2007 is one of my favorite years ever and molitva is the only ballad winner (along with rise like a phoenix) that touched my soul.

still surprised it took so long for another folk techno/trance song after them. fun fact: both water and shum (the other folk techno/trance song) finished 5th. I see a pattern!!!!

also they were robbed in 2013 but the fandom is not ready for that conversation

Ezz, Phonetics Girl and berserkboi like this.
  4. Losing 'Work' and 'Burn' on the same page? *cries in 00s*

(6/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    GLORIOUS | MUSE

Voted By: @Sprockrooster
    Year: 2006
    Country of Origin: England

(7/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    GROOVEJET (IF THIS AIN'T LOVE) | SPILLER FEAT. SOPHIE ELLIS-BEXTOR

Voted By: @MilesAngel
    Year: 2000
    Country of Origin: Italy feat. England
    Appearance: 5th (Sophie Ellis-Bextor)

(8/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    HEAVEN ON EARTH | BRITNEY SPEARS

Voted By: @Runawaywithme
    Year: 2007
    Country of Origin: USA
    Appearance: 4th

Runawaywithme Commentary:
    My favourite Britney song. For more of my thoughts refer to the essay I wrote in the Britney Rate.

(9/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    I'D WAIT FOR LIFE | TAKE THAT

Voted By: @Zar-Unity

Zar-Unity Commentary:
    Such a gorgeous song, even makes me think of another favorite vocalist of mine - Geri Halliwell! Similar vocal tone.

(10/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    IN IT TO WIN IT | ALL SAINTS

Voted By: @Crisp X
    Appearance: 2nd

10. Years back, I posted the story of how I randomly stumbled upon a live session by All Saints on TV and "In It To Win It" was one of the songs played. It sounded so unique to my ears, and instantly became an all time favorite of mine.

On a superficial level, it's a straightforward 00s R&B song with acoustic guitars, but it has a few unconventional things going for it. There are some trip-hop touches in the production, adding an ominousness to the whole package. The use of asian sounding instruments and melodies adds another dimension to it, and the odd chord progression in the chorus also gives it enough of a dark vibe to sound "off" at first. Then the vocals switch between gentle cooing, or even an almost whispering like delivery in the verses, chorus, and bridge, and straight up shouting in the prechorus. The latter happens while a high pitched siren-like synth plays in the background, throwing me off and making me think something is about to go down. There's just something bizarre about all this, I mean it's really not your typical R&B song, yet it works!

It's a shame the circumstances surrounding the Studio 1 era make the band look back on it negatively and thus neglect it in their setlists, because it remains such an excellent album packed with career high deep cuts such as this one.

(11/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    IN MY ARMS | KYLIE MINOGUE

Voted By: @Ana Raquel
    Year: 2007
    Country of Origin: Australia
    Appearance: 3rd

12. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Definitely one of her best, always loved the video too - simple but she's electric!

(12/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    IN THE DARK | TIËSTO FEAT. CHRISTIAN BURNS

Voted By: @Ezz
    Country of Origin: Netherlands feat. England

(13/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    INNER SMILE | TEXAS

Voted By: @marie_05
    Year: 2000
    Country of Origin: Scotland

(14/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    KABUL SHIT | LILY ALLEN

Voted By: @pop3blow2
    Year: 2009
    Appearance: 3rd

(15/23)
    15 points

[​IMG]
    LIGHTS & MUSIC | CUT COPY

Voted By: @Untouchable Ace
    Year: 2008
    Country of Origin: Australia

17. Ace with the amazing taste still <333

(Also Raquel and Marie from the ones I know here)

18. TASTE!
    A very underrated Kylie track IMO

19. Groovejet is my second song of two that sample a Disco track (one of my favourite genres), and is one of the first songs to came out when Disco was coming back into the public consciousness. But it manages to have a vibe all of its own, and isn't overwhelmed by the sample. Groovejet gives me a warm glow, and makes me remember all the times when I wondered, 'if it ain't love, why does it feel so good?'

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  20. Back when Tiesto produced tracks that were not derivative and utterly unique to himself. Such a good choice @Ezz

My two favourite Tiesto tracks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.