Ultimate Album Justice: Best of the 2010s Edition (8 POINTERS COMPLETE) | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Album Justice: Best of the 2010s Edition (8 POINTERS COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ironheade, Dec 31, 2019.

1. [​IMG]

Boy, that sure was a crazy decade, wasn't it?

And it sure did have a crazy amount of awesome music, didn't it?

And since we've been ranking our lists of decade-end favourites all over the forum... why not collate all of that energy into one place, as we celebrate the close of these ten years?

What's up ladies and gents, it's your boy Ironheade, and welcome to 10sJustice! We're picking up the baton of PopJustice's Ultimate franchise, in the grand tradition of Ultimate PopJustice (our favourite songs), Ultimate Popstars (our favourite artists), and Ultimate AlbumJustice (our favourite albums). My valiant partner in crime @ohnostalgia will be running the Songs side of 10sJustice, in which you can vote for your 20 favourite songs of the decade, so if you enjoyed this one, make sure to vote there right over here. It falls to me, then, to run the Albums side. In the spirit of @DJHazey 's fantastic Ultimate AlbumJustice rate (read it here if you haven't), we'll be ranking our top ten albums - but rather than it being a free-for-all like it was there, this time, we'll be restricting it to the 2010's. Can we find a consensus? Will we beat out the professional critics' lists in pure raw taste? Will EMOTION fail to take the crown (ha ha)?

So! To...

[​IMG]
    The ranking system for this one should be familiar to anybody who's taken part in one of PJ's Ultimate rates before. You create a list of ten albums, with your number one album receiving ten points, number two receiving nine, etc., all the way down to number ten receiving one point. Once you've done that, PM me your list, and I'll be revealing the albums picked in ascending order of total picks. As with Hazey's previous rate, you will also be picking three songs from each album: your personal favourite, the song you would recommend to a newcomer, and your personal underrated favourite or deep cut. Commentary on each album is not required, but it would certainly be much appreciated, even if it's just a sentence or two on what this album means to you and why you picked it. And, given that this is 10sJustice, the albums you pick MUST HAVE BEEN RELEASED BETWEEN 1 JANUARY 2010 and 31 DECEMBER 2019. Anything from before or after will NOT be accepted!

As an additional rule, I will also be setting a cap of ONE ALBUM PER ARTIST. This will be done to encourage variety in the list, and so that the top of the list isn't dominated by PJ favourites whose fans end up picking every album of theirs.

Also, I say "albums" here, but it's a fairly broad church. Here are the guidelines on what I will and will not accept in the polls as an entry, should you like to include something in one of these categories.

Accepted:
    EPs
    Mixtapes (commercial or not)
    Live albums
    DJ mixes
    Recordings of classical compositions/jazz pieces/traditional folk music that were made between 2010-19
    Film/television/video game scores
    Soundtracks that consist entirely of new material
    Compilations of previously unreleased material (whether said material was recorded in 2010-19 or not)

Not accepted:
    "Various Artists" albums (such as stuff in the "Now! That's What I Call Music" vein, label compilations, etc.)
    Compilations of previously released material (such as a "Greatest Hits")
    Bootleg/leaked/unauthorised albums
    Concert videos (if they have an accompanying album, however, this will be accepted)
    Soundtracks containing previously released material

If you have any questions about the guidelines, feel free to ask in the thread of course.

The deadline to vote will be JANUARY 31, 23:59 GMT.

I now leave it in your (hopefully) tasteful hands...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. Alizee – Une enfant du siecle
    ARIA – MUSIC AND THE CITY
    Bernadetta La Hengst – Integrier Mich, Baby
    Black Midi – Schlagenheim
    Cher – Closer to the Truth
    Disclosure – Caracal
    Elin Lanto – Love Made Me Do It
    Gary Clark Jr. - Blak and Blu
    HANA – Hanadriel
    Hayley Kiyoko – Expectations
    Iamamiwhoami – Blue
    Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me
    Lemonade – Minus Tide
    LOBODA – H2LO
    London Grammar – Truth is a Beautiful Thing
    Megan & Liz – Simple Life
    Nancy Ajram – Hassa Beek
    Nicole Scherzinger – Killer Love
    Sara Bareilles – Kaleidoscope Heart
    Sara Watkins – Sun Midnight Sun
    Scissor Sisters – Magic Hour
    Selena Gomez – Revival
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Make a Scene
    Tom Holkenborg a.k.a. Junkie XL - Tomb Raider: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Two Door Cinema Club – Tourist History
    Vince Staples – Big Fish Theory
    Will Young – Echoes
    Xiu Xiu – Girl With Basket of Fruit

Aimee Mann – Mental Illness
    Aqua – Megalomania
    Christine and the Queens – Chris
    Fifth Harmony – 7/27
    Funeral for a Friend – Welcome Home Armageddon
    The Green Children – Connection
    The Jezabels – Synthia
    Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
    Kero Kero Bonito – Time n' Place
    Koda Kumi – JAPONESQUE
    Meg Myers – Take Me to the Disco
    Nelly Furtado – The Ride
    The Pretty Reckless – Light Me Up
    The Rapture – In the Grace of Your Love
    Steven Wilson – The Raven That Refused to Sing
    St. Lucia – Matter
    Taemin – Move
    Troye Sivan – Bloom
    Vanessa Carlton – Liberman
    Villagers – Darling Arithmetic
    Zayn – Mind of Mine

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Remorque, vague, Serg. and 13 others like this.
  3. I made a list last month and looking back at it now, I'm quite satisfied with it (which can't be said about my songs list) so I already submitted.

Remorque, vague, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  4. aux

aux

As mentioned in the songs rate, it also applies here x

PM me a screenshot of your ballot including Honey by Robyn and I’ll PayPal you £5

Remorque, vague, Lila and 12 others like this.
  5. Albums is going to be so much harder I think. It feels weird to skip an entire year but I fear I have to.

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I kinda feel it's easier cause there's less of them.. but then.. how do you compare 2 albums?

7. The good news here is that despite Veritas only coming into my life in the last year - I can objectively say it is one of the best albums of the decade Agnes Stans!!

Now let me and @Sprockrooster get One Last Time into the Song portion too!

8. But I am highly compelled to do every year as it fits perfectly. But there is a certain strong year.

Remorque, vague, Mvnl and 3 others like this.
  9. This is going to be so hard.

Remorque, vague, soratami and 2 others like this.
  10. Doesn't this conflict? I am thinking Great Gatsby soundtrack as a possible entry.

Remorque and vague like this.
  11. No, because it's a soundtrack of new material. @Ironheade and I had this discussion behind the scenes. He's talking more about those random compilation albums (Now, That's What I Call Music! etc).

12. Ah of course! Thanks!

13. Yeah, I think I should put a note clarifying what exactly that means in the opening post. That's exactly what I had in mind, along with things like label comps. Stuff like the Great Gatsby soundtrack (the specific example I used in my discussion was Black Panther) is totally A-OK as it consists of original material, where a soundtrack consisting of all old songs would not be.

14. Ok, I am so glad I still use last.fm.... that makes this a little easier.....
    Now the question is, will Madonna end up on my ballot with any of her 10's output?

Remorque, vague, ohnostalgia and 3 others like this.
  15. FYC:

[​IMG]
    The perfect blend of socially woke songs and powerbops! Underrated but not if I have anything to say about it. Hoping @CorgiCorgiCorgi has room for this too!

[​IMG]
    Having A Seat At The Table released in the same year as Lemonade. WHEW. The Knowles sister couped an entire year (cause now a year will be missing in my list).

[​IMG]
    A grand return to form that has me left desiring for so much more. We want more!

[​IMG]
    Providing quantity and quality. This is not only the best country album of the decade, it basically is the best two albums cause this is a double album. Could @Beginner help me with this perhaps?

[​IMG]
    A queen. A comeback. A soundscape that feels timeless on release. Could @Ray, @Verandi or @Iggypig support me with this?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  16. don't forget to select kylie minogue aphrodite

17. I will pick Golden .....

18. I'm ... torn about whether I want to take part in this. Mainly because I can't seem to decide whether I want to pick one album per year or just go with my gut.

I also can't decide which album I should pick for my favourite k-pop act. Do I go for their album with their career-best ballads? Or do I go for the album with the songs that give me the most joy when they perform them live? Decisions.

19. Scream. I am for real considering Kiss Me Once. Poor Kylie... always divising her fans.

20. I've started on my Ultimate Song/Album lists and do find myself with the same strategic strategy/dilemma that faces me in the monthly charts some months:

If I vote for an album love here, that very vote likely means I 'like' or 'love' every song on the album. As such, is it a 'waste' of a spot to then vote for a specific song from the album on my ultimate songs ballot? I mean, if I vote for Emotion here, the implication is that I enjoy every song on the album... so do I burn one or two votes on songs from it too, since a couple songs on there were also among my fave on the decade? Or do not follow that strategy > make peace with Carly being represented on my albums ballot > & that then frees up a spot or two to represent others artists from the decade I love. (especially since we get 20 songs on the other ballot)

Oh, the tough decisions! I'm just talking out loud, here. Haha!

Oh & @Sprockrooster its not just Kylie dividing her fans. I have a Nelly album on the first draft of my list & it ain't Spirit Indestructible...ddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.