Ultimate Gamejustice (#1) | Page 140 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Gamejustice (#1)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Animalia, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Ahead of its time? It sounds so post-bubblegum punk-pop 2002.

Animalia likes this.
  2. I hate graffitis but Jet Set Radio was fun.

send photo, Animalia and eliminathan like this.
  3. for a tiny second i thought pokemon sun/moon was getting eliminated and was already living #savage

Animalia likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

Listen up, gay people.

It's precisely engineered to give you acute anxiety as the Defcon levels ramp up until Defcon 1 when nuclear weapons are authorised for use, and, as the world gets steadily consumed by the gorgeous blooms of nuclear explosions and the millions of deaths across the world's capitals are announced on screen, you can hear the faint echoes of children screaming.

ddd I hated this game. The OG example of Peter Molyneux promising the universe and delivering something falling well short, but that promise – of a completely freewheeling ominiscient sim experience – is heady enough to make you invest a lot of time and effort, only to realise you've been conned and this is a fairly standard RTS. And along the way, you've accumulated hundreds of fickle, ungrateful villagers; a bunch of god powers you can only activate with elaborate and exhausting mouse gestures; and a pet creature who is just as morally confused as you are.

Oh, no disagreement here (and this might not be my only choice of the worst in a franchise). This is purely based on how much time I invested in this trying to evolve beyond button mashing, and failing spectacularly and ending up in frequent real time fisticuffs with my siblings. Also, Devil Jin was stupid and hot.

Demigod isn't a particularly exceptional arena battler; it's not especially pretty; and its mechanics could do with fine tuning in a number of areas, but it was the one game my two closest friends and I could run on all our computers, and the screaming across our tiny flat as our co-op missions inevitably turned awry or we stole each other's kills or devised elaborate strategies while wolfing down chilli fries between games are some of the fondest memories I have.
    [​IMG]
    Limbo is a short and slight game, but it is so incredibly gorgeous that it's unforgettable in a quiet kinda way. And its beauty feels completely unique; like moving through a living monochrome portrait that is macabre and gentle and, every so often, heartbreaking.

I am! This makes Age of Empires with ancient gods feel like a completely obvious and natural idea, which is all down to how solidly it's executed. There's only three civilizations but they're unique and really well balanced against each other; the story mode is excellent, multiplayer is a bunch of fun; and building up to using the god powers (especially the ridiculous ones like the meteor or implosion) genuinely makes you feel... godlike.

Okay!

[​IMG]

5. This deserves a new page...

[​IMG]

6. Our last 8-pointer is a first...

... in two ways.

= #378
    (22/22)

[​IMG]

1991 | Square | SNES | JRPG

8 Points: @If You Go

Animalia:

IT BEGINS. Final Fantasy IV (or II in the original international release because of course) is the miss congeniality fan favourite of the early titles for sure, and pioneered several changes to the games that would lay the foundations for one hell of an iconic future. IV was the first Final Fantasy to deviate from the job system by giving each party member an unchangeable class which, regardless of what certain other JRPGs might want you to believe, absolutely allows for a much greater depth of characterisation and thus, story-telling, which is where this game really broke from tradition. The Final Fantasy series built its empire on complex, engaging plots, and IV was the first game in the series to really take that approach seriously – even if it’s plot was literally just Star Wars. Mess that this isn’t the last Final Fantasy I’ll be saying that about either ddd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

Advance Wars (madeofghosts)
    Brick Breaker (Sprockrooster)
    Buzz!: The BIG Quiz (2014)
    Cities: Skylines (Number)
    Conker's Bad Fur Day (Gei Panda)
    Dead or Alive 2 (evilsin)
    Final Fantasy IV (If You Go)
    Jet Set Radio (Tribal Spaceman)
    Mega Man X (Jonathan27)
    Mortal Kombat II (Ashtray Heart)
    Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time (LiK)
    Rayman Origins (WhenTheSunGoesDown)
    Rogue Galaxy (soratami)
    Rollercoaster Tycoon (Hyrulian)
    Shenmue (roblognick)
    Star Ocean: The Second Story (KamikazeHeart)
    Streets of Rage (Alouder98)
    Syphon Filter 2 (CaliDevotion)
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (eliminathan)
    Tropico (Squashua)
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Aidan)
    Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (NecessaryVoodoo)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  8. Yes! Get that promo brick breaker in the gif!

evilsin, Mikl C, Squashua and 6 others like this.
  9. Oh wow hey - FFIV is not VI or VII or VII or IX or X...still kinda surprised it only got a vote from a single person.
    That said, I also had my reasons not to vote for it. There were already a couple of other FFs on my shortlist, and seriously, these days I'd not really be interested in replaying anything earlier than VI.

Dave and Animalia like this.
  10. I knew my 8-pointer wasn't going anywhere but it's still a relief to not lose anything after losing two games in the last round.

11. I can't tell if still being 20 for 20 means I have good taste, or just straight up basic taste....

12. Oh hey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might notice that after the eight-pointers, no one's sitting at 12/20hp, which means everyone chose at least one game that got another voter! Isn't that nice?

[​IMG]

13. $5 says randomizer didn't set up the first Final Fantasy game being last this round. And Yaaaas at me finally swerving an elimination.

14. Unpopular opinion maybe but I liked FF3 a lot more than FF4 (talking about the DS remakes). FF4 might have had a better story but 3 was a lot more fun to play.

Animalia likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

16. MESS at y’all putting XII above any Tactics entry.

17. [​IMG]

We haven't lost XII or any of the Tactics games yet sis!

18. We're off to see whatever that film that has Celine's iconic new song in it is, but I'll be back tonight with another shock exit (I think it is anyway ddd)!

Also I just realised I forgot to take hp off @digitalkaiser & @vikeyeol after Hearthstone but don't you worry preciouseses I'll fix that later xo)

evilsin, Squashua, Oleander and 7 others like this.
  19. Oh heyyyyyyyyy, there are a few people out there who are more dead than I am!

Animalia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.