Ultimate Gamejustice (#1) | Page 191 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Gamejustice (#1)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Animalia, Mar 1, 2018.

1. GOD DRIVING

2. = #214
    (8/10)

[​IMG]

2007 | Square Enix / Jupiter | NDS | Action-RPG

11 Points: @HeartSwells
    4 Points: @evilsin

evilsin:

One of the most stylish games I've played. The game design here was off the charts at the time, while the stylus driven gameplay was a breath of fresh air. The story that uncovered itself at a leisurely pace was gripping and original, making the experience all that more memorable.

Animalia:

I remember hearing so much about this in Final Fantasy circles when it came out, but as I didn’t have a DS I kinda filled in the blanks myself so literally until the trailer for the Switch remaster (out this October!) came out I thought it was another typically beautiful Squeenix JRPG with turn-based battles, summons, crystals, etc. oops. In reality, it’s a hyper-stylised 2D game set in modern-day Japan with a funky electro-hip-hop soundtrack and a complex battle system involving simultaneous touchscreen and face button controls that, I won’t lie, my uncoordinated gay ass is dreading, but I’m looking forward to finally experiencing this game myself after hearing others rave about it for so long!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

when jesus actually takes the wheel.

Anywho, LOVE The World Ends With You. Can't wait for the Switch port even though I really enjoyed the hectic pace of the dual control scheme on the DS.

4. Soul Calibur 3 is another game I nearly included on my list, and it's easily my favourite fighting game ever, and Soul Calibur is my favourite fighting series too. Reading that elimination really made me look forward to Soul Calibur 6 even more, I have to say. I'd love if they ever added another mode like Chronicle of the Sword to the games. It was such so much fun.

I had no idea about Adventure Island before reading that elimination, but I just googled it and I actually clearly remember playing it on a cousin's Gameboy now, even though I suppose I had no idea it was called then.

5. I never played that and it was a bit baffling how all of a sudden a bunch of its characters showed up right at the start of Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. SE doing that shameless cross-promo.

6. Wow this is the exact moment I started stanning Venus.

7. I have a lot of DS games and gobbled up just about everything Square put on it (looking at you, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings and Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates), but for some reason I never bought this. I think I just misunderstood what it was at the time. Looking forward to trying the remaster on Switch.

Animalia likes this.
  8. I haven’t played Soul Calibur 3 in years, all I remember is overusing that random shopkeeper Lynette!

Animalia, nikkysan and soratami like this.
  9. The shopkeepers were so iconic. The tambourine weapon style <3

_hazzie_, Animalia and nikkysan like this.
  10. Soulcalibur 3 was very close to be on my list and once again this proves that me and @Squashua have something going on. The only thing that is still infuriating to me about it though is that if the save file for it is not the very first on your memory card, then there is a high chance of corruption. I had mine corrupt like 5 times until I gave up on it all together.

So glad someone else voted for The World Ends With You, @HeartSwells! It was such a joy all 3 times I went through it. I probably should replay it sometime soon, or maybe save up for Switch to experience the new scenario they are adding.

11. = #214
    (9/10)

[​IMG]

2008 | Firefly Studios | PC | Strategy

18 Points: @Dangerous Maknae

Animalia:

I can’t believe anyone else even played this, never mind voted for it, but yas! Real-time strategies on the PC were very much my gig for a long time and this was one of my favourites; the AI of computer opponents was actually pretty great for the time, and the balance between city-building and combat really rewarded good planning and strategy in both. On the flip side, things could spiral out of control very quickly if you made one dumb mistake – I’m still haunted by images of my farms burning the ground while the narrator calmly repeated “employees needed” every few seconds as I tried to rebuild them. However you could catapult diseased cow corpses over castle walls to spread plagues, which is always fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. The original Stronghold was a hoot as well, especially the economic side of the game. I liked how it was made more challenging with Crusader, because the green patches of earth were made so scarce.

Animalia likes this.

13. = #214
    (10/10)

[​IMG]

2002 | Neversoft | Various | Sports

18 Points: @Filler

Filler:

Who cares about skateboarding? I mean, that dumb shit people do in the real world. This is what true skateboarding is – baffling game logic where grinding on ledges increases your speed, where you just take goals like "do a 50,000 point manual to impress these escaped penguins so the zookeeper can catch them" in your stride, where spinning 900° is difficult as if to preserve the real Tony Hawk's honour but hopping about between power lines is just a trivial thing you do while exploring a level. It bears little resemblance to so-called "actual" skateboarding, and thank goodness, because those short clips of it you can unlock don't look like much fun at all. The primary Wikipedia article for 'Skateboarding' should just be about these games, with a note saying "This article is about the only skateboarding anyone in their right mind cares about. For the non-videogame nonsense, see 'Skateboarding (real life)'."

(Honourable mentions: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Aggressive Inline, Airblade)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. There's one more game before the 18-point summary, just patiently waiting on someone's commentary for it!

[​IMG]

15. BTG

BTG

Honestly, I love the Soul Calibur series and it pains me that it doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Sophitia is queen.

LE0Night, He, soratami and 4 others like this.
  16. Incredible commentary. I'm a @Filler stan.

Oleander, He, Mikl C and 3 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

= #213
    (1/1)

[​IMG]

2014 | Square Enix | 3DS | Rhythm

6 Points: @OspreyQueen
    5 Points: @kalonite
    3 Points: @Animalia

Multiplier: 1.3x

Total:18.2

OspreyQueen:

This was…actually my first ever Final Fantasy game, and now I have like 10 more so it obviously did something right. If you play this game, be sure to cancel anything you have on in the next few hours because you will not be able to put it down.

kalonite:

Square have always been terrible at naming side-games. What the fuck’s a Dissidia Opera Unchained Chi anyway? But the complete idiocy of the utterly unspellable ‘Theatrhythm’ is more than matched by the absolute perfection of the concept and execution.

Square have been monetising their music library for years, with soundtracks, piano collection arrangements, and the incredibly popular Distant Worlds live concert series. @Animalia and I even went to a very serious concert where the very serious London Symphony Orchestra played very serious symphonic arrangements of very serious music. Like the Chocobo Theme. Ok, sometimes it’s all taken a bit far, but nothing quite matches the sheer joy of actually playing along with the music in these games. The 3DS was the only console that could ever make it work, so they grabbed the opportunity and combined adorable chibi graphics with excellent stylus controls and their huge roster of characters and songs.

The first game was brilliant, but the follow up has made it onto my list simply because of the incredibly consumer-friendly choice of including every single song from the first game on the cart, and not making you buy them all again as DLC. You essentially have Square’s entire FF music library in your hands, and every song has different difficulty levels to suit whatever level of intensity you’re after. It’s just so much fun.

Animalia:

Being a forum.popjustice.com homosexual, the music of video games often plays a large part in my love for them. The soundtracks to series like The Sims, Pokémon, Spyro, etc. have stuck with me over the years and even the slightest hint of a similar melody brings all the great memories of those games flooding back. Of course, it’s a well-established fact that Final Fantasy boasts some of the greatest soundtracks not just of the video games industry, but of any entertainment medium ever (facts are facts America, get used to it), so that applies to this series more than any other and naturally, a rhythm game devoted entirely to it was an instant buy for me. The original Theatrhythm was fantastic, but Curtain Call was essentially the exact same game with even more characters and songs – with all the added DLC there were very few important examples of either missing from the roster – so there’s no competition there really.

@kalonite & I have travelled to London for Distant Worlds concerts a few times now, our flat is often filled with the sound of FF playlists and I know there were a good few weeks where we sat separately on the sofa, headphones in, ignoring each other as we played this game for hours on end so I had a sneaking suspicion he would vote for it too, but a third from @OspreyQueen was a pleasant surprise – stan talent sis!

I legitimately teared up when the Suteki Da Ne melody came in when I watched this earlier ddd a mess

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (OspreyQueen, kalonite, Animalia)

- - -

Ace Combat 0: The Belkan War (Empty Shoebox)
    Adventure Island (Sprockrooster)
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (Hyrulian)
    Ogre Battle 64 (send photo)
    Soulcalibur 3 (Squashua)
    SSX 3 (nikkysan, ThisIsRogue)
    Stronghold Crusader (Dangerous Maknae)
    The World Ends With You (HeartSwells, evilsin)
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (Filler)
    Virtue's Last Reward (OspreyQueen, HeartSwells)

19. 2014

2014 Staff Member

This

[​IMG]

is the animated version of this gif

[​IMG]

20. When I uploaded this, I never expected it to become my theme tune.

Mr.Arroz, Oleander, LE0Night and 13 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.