Ultimate Gamejustice (#1) | Page 203 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Gamejustice (#1)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Animalia, Mar 1, 2018.

1. I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider the other day and I cannot believe you madpeople ranked it above Underworld. The Croft Manor DLC was amazing, like, best game in the series, but the main game was kind of garbage. And it just went on and on and on and on.

(Still a better game than Anniversary.)

WhenTheSunGoesDown and Animalia like this.
  2. = #181
    (2/2)

[​IMG]

2011 | Namco Tales Studio | PS3 | JRPG

12 Points: @Animalia
    4 Points: @KamikazeHeart
    2 Points: @soratami

Multiplier: 1.3x

Total: 23.4

Animalia:

Hoo boy, I adore this game. Xillia was my first Tales title; we picked it up in a bundle along with Graces f for what now feels like an unfairly low price in a PSN sale with, shall I say, modest expectations. I’d always thought of Tales as the other JRPG franchise, like Final Fantasy with a fraction of the budget and an anime snapchat filter over the whole thing, but there I was, struggling to get my fix in the wait before XV (ah, good times), so I took the plunge.

I don’t want to say I was instantly won over as soon as the overconfident woman with the ridiculously large hair and an outfit made almost entirely of belts was revealed within the first ten minutes to be Actually God, but I’m gay, so that was the truth of the matter. Five party members and a sentient voodoo doll mascot later and I was sitting with probably the most charismatic, engaging RPG cast I’d ever experienced; every character, every moment of every character in this game is packed with personality and humour the likes of which I hadn’t seen before in a video game (c’mon blatant dick jokes and references to the male protagonist being versatile in bed), and paired with some of the best localisation and voice acting I’ve ever seen… whew. I’m not gonna pretend that Tales of Xillia is technically perfect in terms of design and gameplay, but goddammit if I didn’t spend the full 80 hours laughing and smiling.

Tales isn’t Final Fantasy, but what makes it so damn fantastic is that it’s not trying to be.

[​IMG]

KamikazeHeart:

What’s necessary to make a decision is not time or circumstance. It is your will.

I’ve already noted in the thread how much I love this series, the only thing I would want to see from them now is a remake of the original Tales of Phantasia.

But Xillia: god, what a game. A war epic, featuring the best cast in the entire series, it is packed with romance, comedy and friendship of the kind that only a JRPG can pull off without feeling ashamed about it. The battle system is rooted in setting up combos in the style of fighting-games, and pretty much all of the characters are enjoyable to play as in their own way.

Oh, and it does the “pick a character in the beginning and play the story from two different perspectives”-thing, so basically you get two games for the price of one. Yay! (For whatever weird homophobic reason I chose Jude the first time?!)

[​IMG]

soratami:

This was the second Tales game I ever played, after Graces F. Before that, a lot of the games didn't even get released in Europe, but thankfully Namco stopped being stupid, and since then I've played a total of 8 Tales games, so it's safe to say it's one of my favourite series. Providing the series usual likeable cast (Jude and Milla especially are two of the best JRPG protagonists ever), a really beautiful world (some of the towns in this game are absolutely brilliant), fun combat and lots of content, this is my second favourite Tales, the first one hopefully will be revealed later!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Oleander, papatrick, evilsin and 6 others like this.
  4. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

= #181

Donkey Kong Country (otenkiame, playboy69, beyoncésweave)
    Tales of Xillia (Animalia, KamikazeHeart, soratami)

= #183

Popstar Maker (Squashua, 2014)
    Populous: The Beginning (stuaw, Lost Boy)
    Spyro the Dragon (vikeyeol, Xanax)
    Timesplitters 2 (Squashua, nikkysan)

= #187

Breath of Fire 3 (KamikazeHeart, Robert)
    Until Dawn (Robert, KamikazeHeart)

SimCity 3000 (Sprockrooster, inevitable, DominoDancing)

= #190

Fable (eliminathan, digitalkaiser)
    Heroes of Might and Magic III (DominoDancing, evilsin)
    Pokémon Trading Card Game (HeartSwells, Sleet)
    Pokémon X/Y (Sleet, Hyrulian)
    Space Channel 5 (Tribal Spaceman, evilsin)
    Streets of Rage II (roblognick, iheartpoptarts)

5. Well that was a painful batch for me.

6. Remember when Ariana released a song about this game?

And Final Fantasy had to settle with Leona Lewis and Florence. Poor that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. NOT to mention the actual Queen of J-Pop provided the theme song.

Legends only, truly.

8. Alright but I'm going to fight about "settle" and Florence being in the same sentence.

9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

[​IMG]

Mushroom, LE0Night, Mr.Arroz and 17 others like this.
  10. I like Florence (her contribution to FFXV is dire though), it's just she's definitely not as big as Ariana.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  11. say this in my thread again I dare you

[​IMG]

Mushroom, Oleander, LE0Night and 22 others like this.
  12. 2014

2014 Staff Member

sis

[​IMG]

Oleander, LE0Night, Mr.Arroz and 21 others like this.
  13. Xillia was the game that made me remember how much I love Tales games after a long break from them. I enjoyed its twists and the unexpected environments it sometimes put in front of you.

The cast was just OK for me, though.

14. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

I think we're all forgetting something.

[​IMG]

Square, Oleander, LE0Night and 14 others like this.
  15. Once again I'm so sad I don't have a PS3 to play all the exclusive Tales of games it got.

soratami and Animalia like this.
  16. I hope they continue re-releasing some of the older ones when they're done with Tales of Vesperia.

It always feels like I've played most of them, but then I look at Wikipedia and find... Destiny 2, Rebirth, Legendia, Abyss and Innocence. Whew.

soratami, Animalia and evilsin like this.
  17. Am I going to get threadbanned if I admit that I don't know what game this is?

papatrick, Animalia and evilsin like this.
  18. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius for mobiles.

Animalia likes this.
  19. Ah, that explains it. Ta.

Animalia and evilsin like this.
  20. .
    Well, a few of them weren't released outside Japan. There's an Abyss port for the 3DS though. From what I read, it was due to that game's success that they started bringing all Tales games to the West.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.