Ultimate Gamejustice (#1) | Page 208 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Gamejustice (#1)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Animalia, Mar 1, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

= #164
    (3/4)

[​IMG]

2005 | Her Interactive | PC | Adventure

14 Points: @VivaForever
    9 Points: @MollieSwift21

Multiplier: 1.2x

Total: 27.6

VivaForever:

This was such a ridiculous, contrived (and cynically commercial) concept, and the game mechanics are on occasion among the most annoying in the whole damn series, but when it clicks, it clicks. Jane was a brilliant addition to the characters from the books and possibly the games' most iconic character.

[​IMG]

Animalia:

Despite the best efforts of VivaForever and Shangela, Nancy Drew can finally put away her Latoya Jackson-branded magnifying glass as she's solved her final case in the rate. Secret of the Old Clock was created to mark the 75th anniversary of the character, and was based on the story of the first four books in the series. The game involves car chases, people with actual ESP, and – the character I can only assume rivals Jane in Viva’s stakes – Uri the Cat, voiced of course by everyone’s favourite feline video game actor, Cory the Cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Im so glad the that the icon Nancy Drew made the top 200 and that the one I voted for matched with @VivaForever.

The whole game series is a lot of fun and much more difficult then one would think.

Animalia and VivaForever like this.
  3. That's not what her accountant said! Y'all be blessed now.

LE0Night, evilsin, Mikl C and 10 others like this.
  4. The games, plural! Jane's chief rival is Professor Hotchkiss from Treasure in the Royal Tower, Legend of the Crystal Skull, and Tomb of the Lost Queen. The aforementioned pamphlets lady from The Captive Curse comes close though.
    My incompetent irrelevance shines through yet again. Sad sigh.
    If I were doing this today, though, I'd be doing better, because I'd have voted for at least two games that I assume are still in this thing. If no one voted for them, I'll throw a hissy fit.
    [​IMG]
    I fucking love you.

LE0Night, evilsin, Oleander and 7 others like this.
  5. Bloody hell how many Nancy Drew games are there.

6. maybe they should add another nancy drew game to the series in which she tries to solve this mystery.
    [​IMG]

7. 32. Plus four more on the DS from other developers.

MollieSwift21, _hazzie_ and Animalia like this.

8. = #164
    (4/4)

[​IMG]

2010 | Obsidian Entertainment | PS3 / Xbox 360 / PC | Action-RPG

19 Points: @vikeyeol
    4 Points: @ddog

Total: 27.6

Animalia:

Bethesda must already resent the fact that the spin-off they outsourced to a small studio was better received than either of their own main series Fallout games, and now y’all ranked it the highest in the series here too? Kick poor Todd Howard while he’s down a bit. New Vegas kept most of the gameplay from Fallout 3 intact, but placed it in a much livelier, interesting Las Vegas desert setting as opposed to the barren grey urban wastelands Bethesda seem to think make for exciting game worlds. Despite being plagued with a multitude of bugs and crashes at launch (Bethesda in shipping a shoddy product SHOCKER) and its main villain being voiced by Chandler from Friends, New Vegas was a massive hit and is still generally considered the best game in the Fallout series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Like.. the fact that Obsidian didn’t get paid bonus because they didn’t get metacritic score higher than 85 (they got 84 dddd) is still a gag to me.

10. [​IMG]

(No but seriously I apologize for not getting to this sooner, I have just been swamped with work of various forms that has caused me to fall behind on this rate. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything.)

Well, I applied for a teaching position but didn't get it. However I am now president of the club, but that's not important right now. I think it's no secret at this point that when it comes to rates I am more than a little bit of a mess as I tend to not only give a lot of high scores but I also change scores so many times that I drive myself a bit mad. The same thing happened with this rate but instead of changing scores, I was constantly shifting my list around and ultimately made decisions that I look back on with some regret. Like the fact that I cut one Pokémon games from my list that I had on there originally because I felt like I had too many on there. Black was in contention and had a place on my list for a while but that's not the one I'm referring to. I'll let you and everyone else realize what game it was once it is eliminated. Anyway, at the time of drafting the final version of my list, it felt right to have Gale of Darkness at the top. Why is that you ask? Well, as I have explained in the Pokémon rates, I got exposed to the first two generations with the help of a friend's older brother but Gen 3 was my official entry into the world of actually owning any of the games and considering I bought all three versions, it will always be one of my favorite generations and I'll be honest and say that I regret not putting Emerald in Gale of Darkness' place. That being said, Gale of Darkness would still be in my Top 10 most likely because like Gen 3 I have a lot of memories attached to it. It was one of the first Pokémon games I played after properly entering the fandom and boy was I hooked. I mean you have to keep in mind that I was 10 years old when it was released and like a number of other boys that age, I had my own fair share of I guess you'd call it straight boy tendencies of being a fan of anything "that looks so cool and awesome" and Gale of Darkness certainly hit the right notes with me. I also just found the idea of shadow Pokémon to be incredibly appealing as Dark types have always been some of my favorites. Honestly, that game is one of the reasons I am still such a big fan of Lugia as I absolutely loved Shadow Lugia and to this day it remains a favorite of mine and I lowkey wish shadow Pokémon were a thing in the main series despite how redundant they would be. Not only that but it further solidified my love for the Gen 3 Pokémon and all the older ones I had come to love at that point in time. Is it the best game ever? No. Not in terms of critics, gameplay, etc.. It's nowhere near the best Pokémon game from a completely objective opinion. Having said that, when has stuff that like ever mattered in a rate like this? I know the game is flawed and despite the fact that I would change its position on my list now, I still love it because I had a blast playing it as a kid and it will always be special to me. At the end of the day, that is what matters. The franchise has gone through a lot of ups and downs over the years but it's one of the franchises that has stuck with me all these years (bar that one period of my life I thought I was done with the franchise and too old for it) and Gale of Darkness is one of the reasons why that happened. While I did play a nice amount of games as a kid, growing up I didn't have the opportunity to play as many games as others because of the fact that my family didn't have as much money as others so I always treasured all the games I was able to play and made the most of them that I could. Things changed as I got older but I still like to treat the games I play the same way. So in summation, Gale of Darkness has enough valid reasons for me to have put it at #1 on my list due to all the things it taught me and the experiences I had with it. The game isn't perfect, the franchise sure as hell isn't perfect but at this point I will remain a fan for a long time to come. And that's that on that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  11. The fact that Fallout 3, by far the buggiest game I ever played, still managed a 90+ Metacritic score is what's a gag to me.

Empty Shoebox and Animalia like this.
  12. I just don't agree with the New Vegas hype. I mean I do love it, but visually it had nothing on F3. The outdoor terrain in particular looked very unpolished.

Animalia likes this.
  13. = #161
    (1/3)

[​IMG]

2000 | Rare | N64 | Shooter

18 Points: @DJHazey
    6 Points: @nikkysan

Total: 28.8

DJHazey:

Back when I discussed [REDACTED] on N-64, I mentioned how my circle of friends would eventually turn to this game for our after-school gaming. Perfect Dark was the birthplace of what a modern-day first-person shooter would eventually become. It was soooo far ahead of its time, it's not even funny. Not only was the story mode insanely fun and challenging in solo play, but they let you tackle the missions cooperatively! What really made Perfect Dark amazing though was the multiplayer and just how customizable it was. Because of this it never ever got old when you could create some of the most enjoyable game modes ever. [REDACTED] was of course extremely fun, but it was limited by the fact that you could only play with three other people. Perfect Dark allowed you to play as a group of four, but also have up to 16 'simulant' players running around which made the games absolutely insane. You could also set up exactly what weapons spawned and where they spawned. They had 'Kaze Sim' who literally would go on kamikaze missions every second and when you combine him with some 'Rocket Sims' (who always us explosive weapons) then the game ended up looking like one constant explosion after another and we'd all be laughing our asses off. The 'Dark Sims' were unbeatable though. They'd literally spawn, run to wherever you are, shot-shot-shot you're dead, and then you could watch them run over, grab your ammo, and run off to your next spawn point like they knew where and they did.

[​IMG]

Everyone's favorite gun was definitely the 'Laptop Gun' which shot like your everyday machine gun, but it's secondary option allowed you to throw it onto a wall, where it would act as a stationary gun with motion detection until it ran out of ammo. Almost every gun had a secondary mode, like the Phoenix that turned from a machine gun to a grenade launcher. If we decided to put all 'X-Ray Guns' on then you could literally scope and see through the entire map through the walls and find people running around, one shot kill. It was intense. At home, I would set up a league of the simulants and pick random weapons, then let the game run and keep track of each simulant's stats. Seriously, this game kept me occupied more than I'd care to admit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Should have been introduced with this:

15. I think Fallout games have such shit graphics and visuals anyways. Fallout 4 was still running on the game engine from the PS3 installments for christ sakes.

junglefish and Animalia like this.
  16. = #161
    (2/3)

[​IMG]
    2005 | Nintendo | NDS | Racing

18 Points: @2014
    6 Points: @Posh Spears

2014:

My favourite racing game, and easily my favourite DS game/Mario related game, this still is a favourite of mine. Loads of great rounds (the rainbow round, the pinball one and the haunted mansion being my favourites), finding the secret shortcuts was also exciting, the extra games were great (especially the balloon popping) and the time trials were a great addition too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  17. = #161
    (3/3)

[​IMG]

1999 | Victor Interactive Software | N64 | Sim

20 Points: @send photo
    4 Points: @If You Go

send photo:

I've claimed Legend of Mana to be my favourite game for years, but as I make this list I just can't put it above my dearest Harvest Moon 64. The memories I have of this are too dear to me, and I can pick it up to this day and enjoy it just as much as I used to. Past Gamecube, HM/SoS games got overly complicated and there's ten thousand different things to do, and my hardcore HM-stanning ass refuses to take things slow, resulting in a rather stressful gameplay. Is this perhaps to more accurately reflect how hard farmwork really is? As I play them, I find myself reminiscing back to 64's rather laidback gameplay. Pet some cows, water some plants, forage a bit, and give Karen some wildberries. Rinse and repeat. Shit, this is just a triumph in gaming with such a simple concept.

[​IMG]

I actually recreated the HM64 vineyard in the first Sims game when I was like 13, and it took fucking ages. I remember having 64 open so I could get the layout exact. Well, I finally finished and it was time to play. In the Makin' Magic expansion, you get cute little dragons, right? Well, I didn't know they breathed fucking fire, and this little shit proceeded to burn down all my hard work in under 10 minutes. I was so pissed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

Harvest Moon 64 (send photo, If You Go)
    Mario Kart DS (2014, Posh Spears)
    Perfect Dark (DJHazey, nikkysan)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (Empty Shoebox, Hyrulian)
    Fallout: New Vegas (vikeyeol, ddog)
    Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock (VivaForever, MollieSwift21)
    Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations (Number, joe_alouder)

Civilisation IV (beyoncésweave, If You Go, Hyrulian)
    Jak & Daxter (stuaw, CaliDevotion, digitalkaiser)

Psychonauts (WhenTheSunGoesDown, Empty Shoebox)
    Star Wars Battlefront II (Aidan, inevitable)
    Super Mario Kart (playboy69, Mikl C)

Bully (NecessaryVoodoo, aaronhansome)
    Burnout Paradise (Empty Shoebox, ThisIsRogue)
    Crazy Taxi (Tribal Spaceman, 2014)
    Mario Kart Wii (Posh Spears, MollieSwift21)
    Theme Park World (Squashua, MollieSwift21)
    The Weakest Link (VivaForever, 2014)

Crash Bandicoot (stuaw, 2014)
    The Walking Dead (Robert, inevitable)

LE0Night, kalonite, Remorque and 17 others like this.
  19. That Harvest Moon reign just won't let up. Final Fantasy/Zelda/Mario wish.

LE0Night, Sprockrooster and Animalia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.