Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done] | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done]

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Dangerous Maknae, Sep 5, 2017.

1. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Top 10 is pretty good though especially because the other 8 albums are probably girl group albums.

2. #8. Red Velvet - The Red

42 Points - @Slice of Life (9) + @Cotton Park (8) + @Aries (8) + @Salami (5) + @karmarisma (5) + @Ceir (4) + @Serg. (3)

Red Velvet // 2nd Album :: Rookie (8) - The Red (42)

[​IMG]

Year: 2015
    Genre: Pop/R&B/Hip Hop/Electropop
    Label: SM Entertainment

Tracklist

1. Dumb Dumb
    2. Huff n Puff

3. Campfire
    4. Red Dress
    5. Oh Boy
    6. Lady's Room

7. Time Slip
    8. Don't U Wait No More
    9. Day 1
    10. Cool World

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #1 (US World) #2 (Taiwan)

Sales

63.000 (Korea) 4.000 (Japan)

Critical Acclaim

One of the top 10 K-Pop albums of 2015 according to Billboard. Billboard also named the title track, Dumb Dumb, #70 on their list of 100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time!!!!!

From Our Voter

@Cotton Park

Favorite track: Oh Boy
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Cool World
    Underrated: Huff N Puff

I really didn't want to like Red Velvet once I became a hardcore f(x) stan. After all, why was SM dumping a pantload of won on producing and promoting them while f(x) got the bargain basement boxed videos in outfits that look like they came from the reject box at the corner consignment shop? Yes, even an older K-Pop fan can fall into a catty resentment as easily as a 15-year-old ARMY. But, we say, talent always wins, stan talent. The song that made them completely unavoidable to me was the sultry and sleek "Automatic" which I actually wound up watching by accident. Finally, when I begrudgingly watched "Dumb Dumb" for the first time, I actually said the word "epic" out loud. It had been a long time since I'd heard something so disarmingly disruptive but at the same time just pure unadulteratedly pop. Much like the lead single from the album, each of the tracks have a disruptive catchiness to them, smoothed over by Red Velvet's now trademark and inimitable vocal harmonies. This album had me from the first marching band punch of "Huff and Puff" to the inspirational atmospheric ending track "Cool World." As much as love their previous work, it was with The Red, that Red Velvet really hit their stride, taking the best elements of their famous sunbaes, S.E.S, SNSD, and f(x) and creating a sound and staking a claim all their own, beginning an amazing run of addictive releases that continues to this day.

--------------------------------------------

@Serg.

Track I recommend to a new listener: Huff N Puff
    Underrated: Lady's Room

---------------------------------------------

@karmarisma

Favorite track: Dumb Dumb, Time Slip
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Red Dress
    Underrated: Cool World

The Red is really refreshing because it just never slows down. Every single song is upbeat and has a medium-high BPM (this was the last time for Red Velvet too).Dumb Dumb is an unquestionable bop and still the best song Red Velvet has ever released (Russian Roulette just chasing after it) with one of my favourite girl group MVs. Red Dress was an absolute highlight and it basically proved that you can have experimental songs like I Got A Boy and actually do them well. Time Slipbasically proved that there's nothing in the world a little Iggy Azalea can't ruin. I also find Cool World to beeally nice, spacey finish to the album and it makes me feel emotional(?) for some reason. The only thing I didn't like was those horrendous 'Alice in Wonderland' themed dresses, otherwise the casual styling for this album was A+ and I was digging the single stocking, mismatched socks + sandals combos.

TL;DR: Wendy said it all in Red Dress: 'This tune is so high'. Also, V I S U A L S.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------

@Salami

Track I recommend to a new listener: Red Dress

@Ceir

Track I recommend to a new listener: Dumb Dumb

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS.

Dumb Dumb is pure joy. Oh Boy is that rnb-lite jam that I love. Campfire, Cool World, and Red Dress are all this funky brand of pop that only f(x) had brought until this point (yet, it still doesn't sound too similar).

@Aries

Favorite track: Cool World
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Red Dress/Lady's Room
    Underrated: Day 1

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Cool World - My favourite type of pop music is the euphoric type. You know, that music that just sends you to a world full of rainbows, marshmallows, cherubs, etc. That music that assures you that everything will be alright in the end. That music that will make you believe in the healing power of music. And Cool World is exactly that. Like f(x)'s Airplane, this is also in my top 5 favourite songs of all time. Wendy, Seulgi and Joy truly destroyed this vocally and their adlibs are life-affirming.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Dumb Dumb - This song is the best distillation of Red Velvet's music. It's quirky, it's sweet, it's crazy, and the vocals just soar. And that insane choreography!!! Lordt! And who can forget that cringeworthy, messy but nonetheless iconic rap nod to Michael Jackson??? Only Red Velvet.

Underrated song : Day 1 - This is probably the one song that doesn't quite follow the sonic palette of the album as a whole. It's rather... nugu-sounding ddddddd. Not a shade though because this is the best type of nugu music. Like, I can imagine a new girl group with an innocent concept from a new agency debuting with this song. And I would stan so hard. There's just something so young and carefree about this. And the biggest surprise? This is a Monotree production. Amazeballs.

WIGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! This was when I knew that stanning Red Velvet was the best decision I made in my life. This album is bop after bop after bop. The bop just never ends. In a year where the Wonder Girls released Reboot and f(x) released 4 Walls, there I was, dancing to Dumb Dumb like my depended on it, getting my sexy on during that unexpected chorus of Time Slip, feeling sorry for Fifth Harmony because they'll never have a song that could work for them because Red Velvet already snagged Oh Boy, feeling like a hippie queen during Cool World. I mean, this may lack the pop ambition of Reboot and the slickness of 4 Walls, but in terms of maximum boppage??? The Red rose above and beyond the competition. WE NEED MORE RED VELVET FULL ALBUMS.

This was the last one for today, by the way. Hopefully I will reveal #6 & #7 tomorrow, #3-#5 on Wednesday, finale on Thursday and individual ballots + summaries on Friday.​

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    evilsin, Island, Sanctuary and 7 others like this.
  3. Oops I knew I've done something wrong. Fortunately with adding your vote, the results won't change since the album at #7 received 46 points in total so I'll just add your score & comments there. Sorry xx

4. The rightful Oh Boy stannage, it's really their best song.

5. I though people on here disliked The Red ... I'm actually quite shocked to see it.

Squashua and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves their matching white sandals.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  7. Apart from those horrendous dresses, the more cheeky dumb dumb outfits were a masterpieces.

8. #7. SNSD - Girls' Generation 1st Japanese Album

46 Points - @Alouder98 (9) + @Gintoki (8) + @Salami (8) @Cotton Park (7) + @Ceir (7) + @Mikl C (7)

SNSD // 7th Album :: Lion Heart (2) - Hoot (6) - Holiday Night (8) - Mr. Mr. (9) - Girls & Peace (9) - Love & Peace (12) - Girls' Generation (46)

[​IMG]

Year: 2011
    Genre: Pop
    Label: SM Entertainment / Nayutawave

Tracklist

1. Mr. Taxi
    2. Genie
    3. You-aholic
    4. Run Devil Run
    5. Bad Girl
    6. Beautiful Stranger
    7. I'm in Love with the Hero

8. Let It Rain
    9. Gee
    ☆ 10. The Great Escape ☆
    11. Hoot
    12. Born to Be a Lady

A song gets stars that all the voters chose it as one of their 3 tracks.

Best Chart Position

#1 (Oricon) #1 (Taiwan)

Sales

1.000.000+ (Japan) - Sl*y a bit. 12.000 (Korea)

Mikl C's Favorite Track

The Great Escape

From Our Voter

@Cotton Park

Favorite track: Beautiful Stranger
    Track I recommend to a new listener: The Great Escape
    Underrated: I'm In Love With a Hero

I remember actually being disappointed when I opened up the torrent I'd just finished downloading to find that all the songs were Japanese. All I wanted was "Genie" so I grabbed the first "SNSD Discography" torrent link I found, in those wonderful days when KAT was still a thing. Then I listened. I haven't stopped listening. I don't know why I was disappointed, actually, looking back. After all, one day while watching the MTV charity international simulcast, accidentally really, before I was really all that interested in KPop, I caught the last two-thirds of their "The Great Escape" performance and was completely floored. I didn't even know who they were for ages, and thought they were actually Japanese. Even when I first snickered at "Gee" after reading about how important it was, I still didn't put two and two together. I considered SNSD strictly Korean bubblegum and watched them as a guilty pleasure. But the more you watch them perform, the more you understand why they are who they are. Boundless charisma, and bigger than life performers. They're to K-Pop what, say, Led Zeppelin is to heavy metal. They didn't invent K-Pop, they just perfected it, making it sound and look like it still does today, and doing it in a timeless fashion that sounds like it was recorded yesterday. I recognized their talent and endless charm, then finally, almost ironically, I circled back to their Japanese work and was dazzled by how not bubblegum it is. The Japanese version of SNSD is a completely new sound for the devine nine and everything I wanted it to be, especially as a long-time Perfume fan. It's that good.

@Ceir

Favorite track: You-aholic
    Underrated: Beautiful Stranger

I think I mentioned this before, but this was the album that really changed my perception of groups in Kpop. This sounded like a serious pop effort. Mr. Taxi was of course kitsch and playful, but the other new songs were so sleek and sophisticated. Even the rock breakdowns of Beautiful Stranger had this glossy sheen to them. You Aholic is honestly my favorite song, but Great Escape and that MTV Japan performance took my breath away.

@Salami

Favorite track: Mr Taxi
    Underrated: Bad Girl

@Alouder98

Favorite track: The Great Escape

Track I recommend to a new listener: Bad Girl
    Underrated: Beautiful Stranger

(This album deserves a better write-up than this but I'm so tired now and will be busy for the next few days so this is all I could do).

A legendary album. With this album, Korea's nation girl group who were known for their cute & girly songs went to expand their career in Japan. But Japan had their own cute girl groups so SM did a smart move and showed a different and mature Girls' Generation to Japan. We all know that most of Korean acts' releases in Japan are a weak version of their Korean hits or not much better new songs. Some of them don't even sing in fluent Japanese. But SNSD debuted there with the arguably better version of Genie and one of their best songs, Mr Taxi that made some people even think they are a Japanese girl group.

Speaking of the album itself, I personally don't consider the four singles as part of the album. I don't know why but I always hate it when artists include a song that wasn't originally made for an album on the tracklist. In this album's case, it makes sense since the songs are in a different language but still, it's always an 8-track album for me.

My favorite thing about this album is that how timeless it is. And it's such an odd thing to say for an album by a Korean act since I usually find most of the classic albums only great for their time even those that I love. But honestly songs like The Great Escape, You-Aholic, Bad Girl sound like they were just recorded yesterday and I've noticed that I love the album more everytime I listen to it. Also let's not forget to mention how their performances of these songs in their different shows/tours made the songs that were already 11/10, even better for me.

As a closer: this album was one of those albums that I was really interested to see how it will do here when I started the rate and now I'm honesty so pleased with the love that it received. I mean, the only albums above it are classics and strong albums so I'm glad that ''PopJustice'' happened for my faves in a rate that we celebrate great records in it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  9. #6. Wonder Girls - Wonder World

47 Points - @Slice of Life (10) + @GeiPanda (10) + @Mikl C (9) + @LightningRider (5) + @Aries (5) + @Sanctuary (5) + @send photo (3)

[​IMG]

Year: 2011
    Genre: Dance-Pop
    Label: SM Entertainment / Nayutawave

Tracklist

1. G.N.O
    2. Be My Baby
    3. Girls Girls
    4. Me, In
    5. Sweet Dreams
    6. Stop!

7. Dear Boy
    8. Long Long Time (Sunye and Yeeun duet)
    9. SuperB (Yubin and Sohee duet)
    10. Act Cool (Hyelim featuring San E)
    11. Be My Baby (Ra.D Mix)
    12. Nu Shoes

Best Chart Position

#1 (Oricon) #1 (Taiwan)

Sales

43.000 (Korea) 1.000 (Japan)

Mikl C's Favorite Track

Be My Baby

From Our Voter

@send photo

Favorite track: SuperB - Trancy sleek numbers are my alley. LOVE this so much.

Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby - Duh? The video is the greatest K-Pop video in existence and you can @ me on that one.

Underrated: G.N.O - Great strut song. Amazing album opener.

Holy hell nostalgia. I hammered the fuck out of this album. Nostalgia prevails once again.

@LightningRider

Favorite track: Girls Girls
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Stop!
    Underrated: Sweet Dream

I know Reboot is the better album, but I can’t deny it—the reason I love the Wonder Girls is nostalgia. This album will always take me back to the days before I delved fully into K-Pop and was simply obsessed with the kitschy-but-genuine pop music this album gave me. Having Girls Girl as my favourite track really says it all.

@Aries

Favorite track: Sweet Dreams
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby
    Underrated: Me, In

@Sanctuary

Favorite track: Be My Baby

Track I recommend to a new listener: Be My Baby
    Underrated: Nu Shoes

I was unsure of putting this on here cause it somewhat sounds of its time, but it’s such a strong album for what it wants to be. It doesn’t hit the creative heights of their other projects, but it’s jammed pack with bops that overcome sounding of their time. It’s just what I associate classic kpop with as an album.

------------------------------------------

@GeiPanda

Favorite track: Stop!
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Nu Shoes
    Underrated: Stop!

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Stop! - Now you know my 11 for the Wonder Girls rate dddddddddd. My love for this song was a journey in itself. This wasn't in my top 3 Wonder World songs when I first really got into the album. Heck, I even liked Be My Baby more than this. What a mess. But as years passed, this song quietly crept up on me. The was something so fierce and dark and confident and FEMINIST about this. This is a song dedicated to shunning your creepy admirers. I'm not lying. Read the lyrics. When will your faves??? Yenny is so, so iconic here. This song truly cemented my love for her. Her vocals just make this song a 15/10.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Me, In - I still have no idea what that title is supposed to mean but whatever. This song is sick! Be My Baby is iconic and all but THIS SHOULD'VE BEEN THE SINGLE. OR A CO-SINGLE AT LEAST. This was used on the first teaser for the album and right then and there, I knew that this was special. This is full of personality and perfectly shows the maturity the girls developed while they languished in the US kekeke. No but seriously, this is just fresh and perfect.

Underrated song : Be My Baby - The problem with amazing albums is that the first single just couldn't contain all of the album's perfection. It just couldn't even if it tried. And Be My Baby really tried. I was one of this song's detractors when it was released. I felt like it isn't representative of the album's sound. And yeah, that point still stands. But regardless, Be My Baby is a pop behemoth. It is slick. It is classy. It is tasteful. And it bops. The live performances (THAT M COUNTDOWN COMEBACK STAGE) are all lit too.

There was no freaking way another album will get my 10. Like, I briefly flirted with the idea of making The Red or Pink Tape my 10 but no, I couldn't do that to Wonder World. Not when this album was the very first K-Pop album that I stanned.

STORY TIME! It was late 2011. I was at home, heartbroken because I had to leave school. I didn't know then that I was suffering from depression, anxiety, and panic disorder. I just knew that I had to take a rest for my health. I loved studying. I loved being in school. This may sound like a total lie but I truly loved learning and shit. So leaving school was a major moment in my life that truly scarred me. It changed me. Literally and figuratively. And I knew I had to find a way to get back on my feet, fight my demons and rise above the occasion. It was not a pretty journey. But I persevered. I couldn't enjoy TV shows. I couldn't fully get into movies. I couldn't write even I tried my hardest. I couldn't talk to my friends because I didn't want to see the pity in their eyes. I was running out of options. But for some reason, I was responding positively to K-pop music. I followed countless forums but never joined. I mean, why would I join the Allkpop forum? Gross. But I did discover awesome music through these forums. And one of those is Wonder World, the comeback album of the Wonder Girls after their US trip ddddd. LORDTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I never listened to full K-Pop albums back then. Yes, even though I stanned 2NE1, I paid their albums dust. But Wonder World truly opened my eyes. Like after listening to it and getting my life, I knew I had to listen to more K-Pop music. Not just the singles but the albums. My journey towards becoming a full K-Pop stan started there. If it wasn't for this album, maybe I stopped listening to K-Pop music already. I wouldn't be here today, no joke. What a dark thought. So for that, Wonder World is my top album and I will sing it praises till the day I die.

10. And as you probably know by now, our top 5 are....

Pink Tape

[​IMG]

Reboot

[​IMG]

4 Walls

[​IMG]

Absolute First Album

[​IMG]

Red Light

[​IMG]

11. Ideally :
    1/ Reboot
    2/ 4 Walls
    3/ Absolute
    4/ Pink Tape
    5/ Red Light

send photo, Ceir and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  12. Absolute
    4 walls
    Red Light
    Pink Tape
    Reboot

Please.

13. 4 Walls
    Reboot
    Red Light
    Pink Tape

I don’t even now who Absolute is. T-Ara?

14. Savage unnie.

Yep.

15. I"M A FUCKING FLOP because the notifications stopped coming for this thread!
    And I also had a 4 day B'Day bash, but still!
    How fucking iconic is the fact that f(x) has 3 fucking albums in the TOP5? LEGENDS ONLY.

16. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

Realistically

1. Reboot
    2. 4 Walls
    3. Absolute
    4. Red Light
    5. Pink Tape

Ideally
    1. Pink Tape
    2. 4 Walls
    3. Red Light
    4. Reboot
    5. Absolute

kii

17. Me at this f(x) dominance:
    [​IMG]

Slice of Life, Serg., Ceir and 2 others like this.

18. Besides the absolute fact that it is the best track on Wonder World... I also appreciate that the intro for Stop! sounds like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer theme tune.

19. He

He

@Slice of Life, thank you for sharing that story. I'm glad you're in a better place now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.