Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done] | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate K-PopJustice Albums [#1 Revealed & I'm Done]

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Dangerous Maknae, Sep 5, 2017.

1. I will need a memoir of all @Slice of Life's commentary. Thank you so much for sharing.

2. #5. f(x) - Red Light

57 Points - @LightningRider (10) + @Salami (9) + @karmarisma (9) + @vikeyeol (9) + @Serg. (7) + @eccentricsimply (6) + @Ceir (5) + @ryan_riot92 (2)

[​IMG]

Year: 2014
    Genre: Synthpop/Hip Hop/EDM
    Label: SM Entertainment

Tracklist

1. Red Light
    2. MILK
    3. Butterfly
    4. Rainbow
    5. All Night
    6. Vacance
    7. Spit It Out

8. Boom Bang Boom
    9. Dracula
    10. Summer Lover
    11. Paper Heart

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #2 (US World)

Sales

94.000 (Korea) 7.000 (Japan)

From Our Voter

@LightningRider

Favorite track: Butterfly
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Spit It Out
    Underrated: Vacance

You could place any of f(x)’s full-lengths within the Top 10 of K-Pop’s best albums, but I choose Red Light because it’s probably their weirdest. The gun-clocking percussion in Milk, the random noise assaults in Spit It Out and Boom Bang Boom, when they turn into a 70s glam rock band on Vacance… the fact that they meld of all these with catchy pop hooks is just a testament to how f(x) are a one-of-a-kind group in pop’s history.

--------------------------------------------

@ryan_riot92

Favorite track: Rainbow
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Butterfly
    Underrated: Rainbow

I had to fight with myself on whether to include this album or “Pinocchio” because I love both albums so much but they don’t have as much impact on me as Pink Tape and 4 Walls do. I chose Red Light because it more special for me personally than Pinocchio. I was there for this comeback and was waiting on the edge of my seat for it from the day it was announced. It did not disappoint! The album was a bit darker but it still maintained that f(x) vibe. Among my favorites are “Red Light”, “MILK”, “Rainbow”, “All Night”, and “Dracula”.

---------------------------------------------

@Salami

Favorite track: Rainbow
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Milk
    Underrated: Dracula

@karmarisma

Favorite track: Red Light

Track I recommend to a new listener: Dracula
    Underrated: All Night

As an absolute believer in the Pink Tape Bible. I thought that it could never be bested, and boy was I proved wrong a short year later. What I love about Red Light is that it is EXPERIMENTAL (good meaning good not bad), but you can choose to see it as an inspirational message to society or you can just see the album as a B O P. Every song is so different from the other but it sounds perfect together. The first half of the album (from Red Light - All Night) is better than the discographies of at least 90% of the Kpop groups out there.

It's like the dream team of disco, trashy bops (Spit Out being the ultimate booty pop anthem), and genuine vocal highlights, but it's also so dark, convoluted and cryptic at the same time. f(x) was really one step ahead the trends and I still think that no girl groups have managed to come close to this level of success with a 'dark concept' (Dreamcatcher and Fiester have tried though). Also if the song wasn't good enough, Red Light was all about the V I S U A L S. Even being the notorious boy group stan that I am, I splurged on buying the deluxe Taiwan edition of Red Light (Wild Cats Ver.) because I wanted my high quality prints of blonde Krystal, and the ICONIC BLUNA being hot. All the unnies were smoking, the military outfits were incredible and they were FIERCE. (Ovaries explode with Luna does her high note)
    TL;DR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: All Night
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Red Light, All Night, Summer Lover
    Underrated: Paper Heart

I have a really hard time whenever I have to choose what my favorite f(x) album is. It mostly depends on my mood. That said, I claimed Red Light was my favorite for a really long time. There's something inherently incredible about the feeling of this album. It's amazing how they managed to mix their light vocals with this darker atmosphere that seems present in all of the songs, even in ones that are not as blatantly heavy such as MILK, Rainbow and Summer Lover. What makes it so amazing for me it's how incredibly different from Pink Tape this album is and yet it's undeniable that they are albums from the same group. The Red Light MV is particularly striking and the song being about the Sewol accident makes it that extra painful. Some of f(x)'s best B-sides are present in this album and it makes me wish I was around to experience this era. Also, that remix of Dracula they performed at their concert was seriously the shit.

@Ceir

Favourite song : Spit It Out
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : All Night
    Underrated song : Dracula

This whole album is just glorious. Of course Red Light is good, Milk and All Night are funky and cute. Spit It Out and Boom Bang Boom are just weirdly amazing. Dracula pairs up with Red Light to be the "darker" songs on the album. The whole thing isn't exactly cohesive, but I wasn't ever bothered by it.

@Serg.

Favourite song : MILK
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rainbow

----------------------------------------------

@vikeyeol

Favourite song : MILK
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : All Night

f(x) is a serious contender for my all time favorite girl group. Some kind of take them as a dumb group lyrically because their lyrics can be quite abstract, but I don't think they're so much nonsensical as they are just ridiculous and grandiose. I get why that would turn some people off, but personally I love that they get these insane concepts for otherwise cliche topics.

For example 'Spit It Out' encompasses the feeling of falling for someone you never intended to have feelings for with a metaphor of a guy accidentally cannibalizing their heart, 'Rainbow' basically paints a picture of love as a prolonged acid trip, and in my fav 'Milk' they talk about drenching their heart in milk to soothe the burn of being left by a lover. Add all this onto some amazing production and melodies, and you've got everything I need from a pop group.

While all of their albums are great (Yes, even Pinocchio!) I think Red Light is them at their very best. You've got 80s, you've got camp, you've got Bollywood, you've got trap, and probably the kitchen sink too and I'm here for every bit of it.

3. Bowing out at #5? It deserves much higher.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  4. He

He

Great album.

I still want the sleepy cat version.

I think it'll be

1-Absolute
    2-Reboot
    3-Pink Tape
    4-4walls

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  5. Is it weird that the first time I heard Butterfly it made me cry?

Cotton Park and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Kuhleezi, Island, Ceir and 2 others like this.
  7. binch

8. KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK KONGDAK MUJIGAE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Red Light is such a fun album.

10. Imma listen to The Red and Crush now.

I'm ready to stan Red Velvet so I need to be ready for their material before the album next week.

11. I'm so jealous you still have songs to discover. Red Velvet are incredible.

12. #4. f(x) - 4 Walls

60 Points - @Cotton Park (10) + @Salami (10) + @ryan_riot92 (9) + @eccentricsimply (9) + @Ceir (8) + @vikeyeol (7) + @junglefish (4) + @He (3)

[​IMG]

Year: 2015
    Genre: Synthpop/Electropop

Tracklist

1. 4 Walls
    2. Glitter
    3. Deja Vu
    4. X
    5. Rude Love

6. Diamond
    7. Traveler (featuring Zico of Block B)
    8. Papi
    9. Cash Me Out
    10. When I'm Alone

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #1 (US World)

Sales

81.000 (Korea) 3.700 (Japan) 1.000 (US)

From Our Voter

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: Rude Love
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls, Traveler, Papi
    Underrated: X

The sequence of Pink Tape - Red Light - 4 Walls represents a lot of growth, in my opinion. Not necessarily in quality - though I do feel like 4 Walls was a step higher than Red Light, Pink Tape is probably in the same level as 4 Walls and maybe a tiny bit higher, depending on the day. But 4 Walls is a mature album, the sound is more mature than their other music, the feel of the album is more mature, the aesthetic, everything shows how much f(x) has grown not only as artists but as women as well. Sulli's charisma is missed, for sure, but I don't know if her absence in this album is a bad thing. On the contrary, I think f(x) did something incredible by managing to make this sound work so well with the four of them in a way that I can't bring myself to imagine what this album would sound like if Sulli was still in the group. 4 Walls is a monster of a track - albeit not as experimental as either Rum Pum Pum Pum and Red light, and also trying to fit into the deep house trend that was very present in 2015, it's just so extremely well executed, it sets the bar really high and contradicts anyone who claims you can't make good music with overused trends. Something SM does really well is that when a group has a very specific concept and sound, they have such a quality control that everything said group releases is well within their concept and sound, no matter how different the music they release is. 4 Walls falls when into it, of sounding like an f(x) album even with the more mature sound and even while missing a member.

@Ceir

Favorite track: Rude Love
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls
    Underrated: Traveler

Deep breath: I LOVE LDN NOISE!.

4 Walls, Rude Love, and Papi were all done by them. These glorious house tracks that each hit different emotions, but can be played together and sound cohesive. X is another highlight. And Traveler is probably the one track I see no love for, but it's a gem to me.

@Salami

Favorite track: 4 Walls
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Cash Me Out

@Cotton Park

Favorite track: When I'm Alone

Track I recommend to a new listener: Rude Love

The first time I saw f(x) they were getting blown away by After School in some dance-off competition show. At the time I was still hovering around the fringes of KPop, usually just plucking 'sexy concept' standards to add to my dancepop-heavy playlists, i.e., Girl's Day, AOA, anything by Brave Brothers, etc. In the show, f(x) did a perky version of "Electric Shock" in their typically horrid 2012 outfits, but then AS blew the doors off the place with a fierce and killer version of "Flashback." No contest. Just the same, I kind of tucked that impression of f(x) away, and little by little "Electric Shock" and then "Rum Pum Pum Pum" would find their way to my playlists, including my off-hours Sunday at work playlists. Unlike the weekday staff, the Sunday crew is very musically open-minded, and the f(x) cuts, seemed to be memorable, exotic and cute to them. I didn't really like "Red Light" (it's my cellphone ringtone now), but when I saw that f(x) had released a new album at work, I mentioned to the other two nearby, "Hey, the Rum Pum Pum Pum girls have a new album. Wanna listen?" So, obtaining their consent, with "butterfly" as a safeword, I played the whole thing while we worked. As the last few atmospheric notes of "When I'm Alone" drifted off, and a few seconds of nothing but silence, I heard our 62-year-old receptionist, a former reggae singer, from down the hall, "That was fuckin' awesome." My office mate to my left nodded, and just said, "Again." I loved the album immediately, and began downloading all of f(x)'s material, becoming smitten with almost all of it, and kind of shocking some of my music nerd friends by talking openly about them. (It's amazing how people talk incessantly about diversity and inclusiveness then give you a weird look when you say something nice about K-Pop.) But 4 Walls is a distinct departure for f(x). Instead of the wonderfully motley collection of eclectic pop from Electric Shock, Pink Tape and Red Light, 4 Walls is sleekly coordinated and distinctly electronic. From the enigmatic, almost other worldly title track to the minimalist gems like "Traveler" or "X" to the compelling and passionate "Rude Love" and the effervescent "Glitter" and "Deja Vu," the production is clean and musically economical with not a single note is out of place. The production and writing is still as inventive as previous f(x) tracks, but more than anything, its the members of f(x) make it shine, offering a vocal kaleidoscope of harmonies and overlapping leads, displaying a vocal and artistic maturity that puts it ahead of their others on this list. I kinda like it.

@junglefish

Favorite track: Papi
    Track I recommend to a new listener: 4 Walls
    Underrated: Rude Love

@ryan_riot92

Favourite song : Rude Love
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rude Love
    Underrated song : Traveler

The epitome of why I love f(x). The first album without Sulli as a member the impact of 4 members was so prominent. It was kind of a kii. This album exudes such a different style and sound from the rest of K-Pop. True trend-setting queens. The majority of this album is heavily influenced by the 90s house sound with a modern spin alongs with some power anthems and your typical f(x) flair. I was a bit disappointed that they chose to promote “Diamond” with “4 Walls” because I felt they had better material on the album to showcase. My personal favorites from this album are “4 Walls”, “Deja Vu”, “Rude Love”, “Traveler, and “Papi”. It seems like f(x) just keep getting better and better!

@He

Favourite song : 4 Walls
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : 4 Walls
    Underrated song : Papi

@vikeyeol

Favourite song : X
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Papi
    Underrated song : Traveler

I was so worried for this album with a member departure (especially a member whose voice added a lot to their songs like Sulli) usually leads to messiness and a decrease in quality, not to mention having to follow up on the amazing Red Light. However, they thankfully slayed my buss as they always do and left me feeling stupid for doubting them.

This is the most mature and self assured they've ever sounded, and all killer no filler. This is an improved Pink Tape (don't kill me for the blasphemy, Pink Tape stans) for me. They have this incomparable and confident aura oozing throughout the album that makes it feel so powerful. I think it's exemplified in songs like X, where it has PG-13 lyrics but is possibly their most sensual song for me. They make first base sound like an orgasm when they change the "our hands touched" line in that final explosive chorus to "our lips touched".

Amber improved IMMENSELY, she must have eaten Sulli's soul when she left or something. Before she always veered on being a detriment to their songs with her unfortunate "raps", they weren't even good in a funny, ironiconic way like Minho from SHINee - but here? She's legitimately good and the raps feel at home on the songs rather than an intrusion, and when she does sing it's gorgeous.

ALSO, CARLY RAE JEPSEN!! That is all, thank you.

13. He

He

Agh, I love this album. I have the physical.

I remember watching 4Walls and thinking oh my fucking God (I only knew View after this). I loved the narrative of the video (shout out to LOONA for expanding on this), how understated and mature and gorgeous it all seemed.

And the stages were so lit! Luna was serving like the queen she is. And they all looked and sounded amazing; for like a week before Victoria left again.

It sold so well, why doesn't SM want them back together? Ugh.

14. Oh wow.

15. What was the f(x) performance where Amber actually wore a skirt? Was it for Rum Pum Pum Pum, Red Light, or 4 Walls? I REMEMBER SEEING THIS!

Cotton Park and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  16. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES at Pink Tape being considered their best by this forum. YEEEEEEEEEEES!
    [​IMG]

17. All of f(x)'s albums are amazing.

It's a shame that the Electric Shock mini doesn't get more love, since it's absolutely brilliant. ("Zig Zag", "Jet", "Let's Try", "Beautiful Stranger", title track, c'mon... seriously amazing stuff...) It's also my favorite album cover.
    [​IMG]
    I should have listed it, but I concentrated on full albums since there was too many to choose from.

18. Transcendent.

Slice of Life, Salami, He and 2 others like this.
  19. All this love for Traveler!

20. So the bronze medal goes to.....

[​IMG]

#3. f(x) - Pink Tape

62 Points - @Aries (10) + @eccentricsimply (10) + @He (8) + @Slice of Life (8) + @ryan_riot92 (7) + @evilsin (7) + @karmarisma (6) + @Salami (6)

[​IMG]

Year: 2013
    Genre: Synthpop/Electropop

Tracklist

1. Rum Pum Pum Pum
    2. Shadow
    3. Pretty Girl

4. Kick
    5. Signal
    6. Step

7. Goodbye Summer
    8. Airplane
    9. Toy
    10. No More
    11. Snapshot

12. Ending Page​

Best Chart Position

#1 (Gaon) #1 (US World)

Sales

104.000 (Korea) 11.000 (Japan)

From Our Voter

@eccentricsimply

Favorite track: Signal
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Rum Pum Pum Pum, Pretty Girl, Shadow
    Underrated: Airplane, Snapshot

There was a time I didn't enjoy this album a third as much as I enjoy it now. I never really paid actual attention to it, so it flew over my head just how special this album is. For starters that title track is out of this world. Rum Pum Pum Pum is not only one of the most interesting kpop tracks I've ever listened to but it's also one of the most interesting tracks ever. There's a little bit of everything but it's well-structured in a way that makes every bit of it a pleasure to listen to. There's a pounding bass that never goes away and a freaking samba part, yet it never stops working. Then every single song in this album is worth a listen - it's a great album overall but also an album that is comprised of great songs you can listen to individually and enjoy them just as much. I honestly think this album is underrated - not because people don't enjoy it or value, but because they don't do it enough. Not to mention that this feels, to me, like a division between when f(x) made bad to average music to when they started to really cement their artistry and create albums that are worth listening beginning to end. This sounds and feels like a masterpiece, and it's why I wouldn't hesitate before adding it to a list of my favorite albums ever.

@Aries

Favorite track: Airplane
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Shadow
    Underrated: I think most people know the album so...

@karmarisma

Favorite track: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Step
    Underrated: Shadow, No More

This was actually the first Kpop album I listened to from start to finish and I remember being floored. Every single song had its own identity, and managed to stand out from the rest - but at the same time, they also worked together so perfectly. My stand-outs were Shadow (it's kind of haunting) and Krystal's voice works so well, the groovy Signal (sorry Twice, f(x) did it better), Step (I don't know what the lyrics are but I feel empowered), Airplane, and No More (fun fact: Ariana Grande wrote it). What I really miss about Sulli being in f(x) is the playfulness their songs used to have - especially with the talk-rapping in Toy andSnapshot.

Literally everything about this album is perfect - from the packaging (just got my Pink Tape in the mail yesterday and the artsy pictures, and VCR-themed packaging is such a treat), to just how well f(x) deliver this artsy, 'innocent' concept. Also, f(x) is basically the reason why the Kpop industry is plagued with tennis skirts, but no one's managed to top them. The artfilm teaser they released is still one of the most unique concepts I've seen. Also, pink Krystal was a THING, Sulli was serving some severe attractiveness and people were just starting to realise that Luna is an absolute Goddess. *sips tea milkshake*

[​IMG]

@Salami

Favorite track: Step
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Underrated: Toy

@evilsin

Favorite track: Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Track I recommend to a new listener: Airplane
    Underrated: Step

@ryan_riot92

Favourite song : Pretty Girl
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Signal
    Underrated song : Step

My first official K-Pop album that I purchased physically! It will forever hold a special place on my shelf of albums. This album felt so different from the other K-Pop albums I had gotten into when I first got into the genre. After listening to this album in it’s entirety, I knew that f(x) would end up becoming my favorite K-Pop group and they still are today. Other than RPPP, I love “Shadow”, “Pretty Girl”, “Signal”, “Step” and “Airplane” but the entire album is full of unique and quirky gems!

@He

Favourite song : Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Song I would recommend to a new listener : Rum Pum Pum Pum
    Underrated song : Toy

@Slice of Life

Favourite song : Airplane - This is easily in my top 5 favourite songs of all time - K-pop and otherwise. This is a masterclass in pop music. The amount of happiness I get from listening to this is unparalleled. Seriously, how did this song not solve all of humankind's illnesses? If I could nominate one song to be displayed in the Louvre or the MoMa, you bet Airplane would be it. A proper wig moment.

Song I would recommend to a new listener : Step - I mean, how was this not a single??? This is screaming for a music video, a sick choreography that could've been f(x)'s ticket to legendary status, etc. Like seriously, can you imagine the amount of shaking and crying that this would've caused? Another song that is just the epitome of f(x) music. Can Red Velvet cover this and release this as a single???

Underrated song : Rum Pum Pum - This is honestly my most favourite f(x) single yet. Red Light and 4 Walls are arguably more forward-thinking songs and deserve all the stannage they get. But Rum Pum Pum is just a little more perfect to me. Maybe it's the Krystal-Luna section where they sing different verses at the same time. Maybe it's the cowboy music extravaganza of it all. It truly hurts me to see this dragged by heathens for its supposed imperfections. I wish more people would recognize the quiet genius of Rum Pum Pum.

So we've reached the finale.

[​IMG]

Two iconic girl groups with iconic discographies

[​IMG]

A classic from late 2000s

[​IMG]

A modern classic

[​IMG]

Which one will win the title of Ultimate KPJ Album?? And which one will become #2 by 10-points difference?? Find out tomorrow!

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.