Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Musicals

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Animated

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Science Fiction | Fantasy

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters
Ironic that Weekend and...that other film are right after each other!
throwing-shade-shade-detected.gif

Weekend has actually been on my watchlist for the longest time, I really need to watch it!

Did something happen with CMBYN?
Not at all, I just found CMBYN to be a bit of a betrayal. Sanitised, repackaged, and repurposed to appeal largely to a heterosexual audience.
Lots of the queerness eroded, to the point where we were treated to a straight sex scene in all its glory but the pivotal same sex scene pans tastefully to a window.

BUT, I would never drag anyone’s engagement with a piece of art. It just didn’t work for me.

Arguments can be made for what the someone thinks the greatest Disney film is of all-time. I tend to divide them into eras. For the 'classic Walt-era', nothing comes close to Pinocchio in my mind (maybe Fanstasia, but that movie is a different animal)

Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi and Fantasia are top 4 imo. Fantasia would be #1, but not every sequence is great. I never liked Snow White as much.

I also *love* their Silly Symphony short films before they made features, some amazing early animation.

he/him
308 | 15 Points

@Lately (7th Movie)

MV5BMjEzMjczOTIxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTUwMjI3NzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

10 Cloverfield Lane | 2016 | USA

After getting in a car accident, a woman is held in a shelter with two men, who claim the outside world is affected by a widespread chemical attack.

Action, Drama, Horror | PG-13 | 1hr 43min

Dan Trachtenberg | John Goodman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Gallagher Jr.

7.2 IMDb | 76 Metascore

$110 million | $15 million

New Orleans

More Like This | Don't Breathe, Cloverfield, The Mist

@DJHazey (10th Movie) - I know anything Eminem-related on this forum is considered a mess, but this movie is undeniably brilliant, come on. I've seen it like 40 times by now so there's no way it's not on my list. Yes, Eminem has gone on to do a lot of questionable things over the years, but it's easy to forget that he was once an underdog. The film highlights that point so you really want him to overcome because of everything pushing against him in his life. Every freestyle rap scene is something that I could watch on a loop forever but especially when Eminem slays in the final one; that's tip-top cinema right there.

MV5BOWI3MDIzZmYtN2Y3MC00YTljLWFiYmYtNWIzMjg1ZWQ1ODlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

8 Mile | 2002 | USA

A young rapper, struggling with every aspect of his life, wants to make it big but his friends and foes make this odyssey of rap harder than it may seem.

Drama, Music, Biography | R | 1hr 50min

Curtis Hanson | Eminem, Brittany Murphy, Kim Basinger

7.1 IMDb | 77 Metascore | Won 1 Oscar

$242 million | $41 million

Detroit

More Like This | Straight Outta Compton, Notorious, Get Rich or Die Tryin'

@Lila (9th Movie)

MV5BNTg2MzMwYzUtZjk0Yy00MGM2LTk1NmUtMmVhYjRhNzNmZmIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A Star Is Born | 1954 | USA

A film star helps a young singer and actress find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career on a downward spiral.

Drama, Musical, Romance | Passed | 2hr 34min

George Cukor | Judy Garland, James Mason, Jack Carson

7.6 IMDb | 89 Metascore | Nominated for 6 Oscars

$4.3 million | $5 million (est.)

Los Angeles

More Like This | Easter Parade, The Band Wagon, I Could Go on Singing

@Pink Frost (10th Movie)

MV5BY2M5Mzg3NjctZTlkNy00MTU0LWFlYTQtY2E2Y2M4NjNiNzllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzUyOTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Harold and Maude | 1971 | USA

Young, rich, and obsessed with death, Harold finds himself changed forever when he meets lively septuagenarian Maude at a funeral.

Comedy, Drama, Romance | PG | 1hr 31min

Hal Ashby | Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles

7.9 IMDb | 62 Metascore | Nominated for 2 Golden Globes

$1.2 million (est. budget)

San Francisco

More Like This | Being There, Bound For Glory, Coming Home

@burzacott (4th Movie)

MV5BOGRlZTdhOGYtODc5NS00YmJkLTkzN2UtZDMyYmRhZWM1NTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hellraiser | 1987 | UK

A woman discovers the newly resurrected, partially formed, body of her brother-in-law. She starts killing for him to revitalize his body so he can escape the demonic beings that are pursuing him after he escaped their sadistic underworld.

Horror, Thriller | R | 1hr 34min

Clive Barker | Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, Ashley Laurence

7.0 IMDb | 57 Metascore

$14 million | $1 million

More Like This | Other Hellraiser Films, The Evil Dead, Candyman

@aux (6th Movie)

MV5BOWQ4OTdlODQtMDc3Yy00MGVmLWExYjUtOGI0Yjg4MDQzNDNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIzMzkyMzk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hush | 2016 | USA

A deaf and mute writer who retreated into the woods to live a solitary life must fight for her life in silence when a masked killer appears at her window.

Horror, Thriller | R | 1hr 22min

Mike Flanagan | John Gallagher Jr., Kate Siegel, Michael Trucco

6.6 IMDb | 67 Metascore

$1 million (budget)

Fairhope, Alabama

More Like This | Don't Breathe, Gerald's Game, The Autopsy of Jane Doe

@lushLuck (7th Movie)

MV5BOTcwZWZkZWUtZjRhMi00ZDNhLTljOWItNjBkNzIwYTA0YWQyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Jawbreaker | 1999 | USA

Three of the most popular girls at Reagan High accidentally kill the prom queen with a jawbreaker when a kidnapping goes horribly wrong.

Comedy, Crime, Thriller | R | 1hr 27min

Darren Stein | Rose McGowan, Rebecca Gayheart, Julie Benz

5.7 IMDb | 22 Metascore

$3.1 million | $3.5 million

Culver City, California

More Like This | Sugar & Spice, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, The Craft

@Dangerous Maknae (11th Movie)

MV5BMzA4NjA2NjI2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTEzNzI2Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Julie & Julia | 2009 | USA

Julia Child's story of her start in the cooking profession is intertwined with blogger Julie Powell's 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child's first book.

Biography, Drama, Romance | PG-13 | 2hr 3min

Nora Ephron | Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, Chris Messina

7.0 IMDb | 66 Metascore | Nominated for 1 Oscar

$129 million | $40 million

Queens, New York

More Like This | It's Complicated, Doubt, Florence Foster Jenkins

he/him
That's all I got for today, sorry. I'm going to be pretty busy the rest of the work day trying to get things done before leaving for a doctor's appt. That plus I'm going to be visiting some family for the early-Holidays over the weekend (socially distanced of course), so I'll be getting back to the rest of the other 16 films at 15 points on Monday, most likely. It's always good for rate hosts to take scheduled breaks anyway, trust me but at least I'll always keep you up to date. xx

The Weekend broke my heart so much when I watched it, I don't know if I could put myself through that again. I'm such a softie when it comes to movies!
Really need to see Julie & Julia! Another on the watch list.

he/him
308 | 15 Points

@beyoncésweave (10th Movie)

MV5BYmVjNDIxODAtNWZiZi00ZDBlLWJmOTUtNDNjMGExNTViMzE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE0MDc0NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Kall ho naa ho | 2003 | India

Naina, an introverted, perpetually depressed girl's life changes when she meets Aman. But Aman has a secret of his own which changes their lives forever. Embroiled in all this is Rohit, Naina's best friend who conceals his love for her.

Comedy, Drama, Musical | NR | 3hr 6min

Nikkhil Advani | Preity Zinta, Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan

8.0 IMDb | 54 Metascore

$13.2 million

New York City

More Like This | Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

@Lila's Boyfriend (12th Movie)

MV5BMGRkOTA2NjYtMDEyOC00MWUxLTkzMjctZmU0MjVjZTQ1MjZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

L'Atalante | 1934 | France

Newly married couple Juliette and a ship captain Jean struggle through marriage as they travel on the L'atalante along with the captain's first mate Le père Jules and a cabin boy.

Comedy, Drama, Romance | NR | 1hr 29min

Jean Vigo | Dita Parlo, Jean Daste, Gilles Margaritis

7.8 IMDb

$9,505

Paris

More Like This | Zero for Conduct, A Propos de Nice, The Rules of the Game

@berserkboi (6th Movie)

MV5BY2UwZGJjODAtYmY3OC00NzZmLTgyMzAtMDlkMWMzNjM1MjRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5MzY0NjM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Lantana | 2001 | Australia

The relationships of four couples unravel after the discovery of a young woman's body in Lantana bush in suburban Sydney.

Drama, Mystery, Romance | R | 2hr 1min

Ray Lawrence | Anthony LaPaglia, Geoffrey Rush, Rachael Blake

7.2 IMDb | 84 Metascore

$15.7 million

Sydney

More Like This | Jindabyne, Julia, Ponette

@P'NutButter (4th Movie)

MV5BMTM0ODkyMTIzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYzNzA2NA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Mannequin | 1987 | USA

A young artist, searching for his vocation, makes a mannequin so perfect he falls in love with it. Finding the mannequin in a store window, he gets a job there and his creation comes to life.

Comedy, Fantasy, Romance | PG | 1hr 30min

Michael Gottlieb | Andrew McCarthy, Kim Cattrall, Estelle Getty

5.9 IMDb | 21 Metascore | Nominated for 1 Oscar

$42 million | $6 million

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

More Like This | Weekend at Bernie's, Pretty in Pink, Less Than Zero

@Hazey's Dad (12th Movie) - I don't know anything about this movie, but I did know it would show up on his list. Last year he mentioned that he was looking everywhere for the DVD but could never find it. So I used a source he always forget to maximize or doesn't know how to, the internet and I bought it for him for his Birthday. He was ecstatic.

MV5BM2JkYzU2NzEtZTEwZS00ZWIwLThjNzItYjgwNzk2YzYwMGQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Megaforce | 1982 | Hong Kong

Story about a rapid deployment defense unit that is called into action whenever freedom is threatened.

Action, Sci-Fi | PG | 1hr 39min

Hal Needham | Barry Bostwick, Michael Beck, Persis Khambatta

3.8 IMDb

$5.6 million | $20 million

More Like This | Xanadu, Battletruck, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

he/him
308 | 15 Points

@BubblegumBoy (9th Movie)

MV5BNjYwNTA3MDIyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjIxNjA3._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Napoleon Dynamite | 2004 | USA

A listless and alienated teenager decides to help his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school, while he must deal with his bizarre family life back home.

Comedy | PG | 1hr 36min

Jared Hess | Jon Heder, Efren Ramirez, Jon Gries

6.9 IMDb | 64 Metascore

$46 million | $400,000

Sykesville, Pennsylvania

More Like This | Office Space, School of Rock, Wayne's World

@Ana Raquel (9th Movie)

MV5BYjZlMWM1MGEtY2M5OS00MWZhLWI1OGUtYTAwY2JlM2U1ZTgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Party Monster | 2003 | USA

Based on the true story of Michael Alig, a Club Kid party organizer whose life was sent spiraling down when he bragged on television about killing his drug dealer and roommate.

Biography, Crime, Drama | R | 1hr 38min

Fenton Bailey, Randy Barbato | Macauley Culkin, Wilson Cruz, Seth Green

6.3 IMDb | 36 Metascore

$782,000 | $5 million

Manhattan

More Like This | Glory Daze: The Life and Times of Michael Alig, The Wrong Ferrari, Saved!

@Lost In Japan. (7th Movie)

MV5BMTU2OTcyOTE3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg5Mjc1MjE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Pride | 2014 | UK

U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.

Biography, Comedy, Drama | R | 1hr 59min

Matthew Warchus | Bill Nighy, Imelda Staunton, Dominic West

7.8 IMDb | 79 Metascore | Nominated for 1 Golden Globe

$16 million

London

More Like This | Handsome Devil, God's Own Country, Infinite

@MollieSwift21 (7th Movie)

MV5BMjEzOTU0NjMxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc5MDUxNA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Rabbit Hole | 2010 | USA

Life for a happy couple is turned upside down after their young son dies in an accident.

Drama | PG-13 | 1hr 31min

John Cameron Mitchell | Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Wiest

7.0 IMDb | 76 Metascore | Nominated for 1 Oscar

$5.1 million | $5 million

Queens

More Like This | Birth, The Hours, Australia

@Milotic (10th Movie)

MV5BOGZhM2FhNTItODAzNi00YjA0LWEyN2UtNjJlYWQzYzU1MDg5L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Shrek | 2001 | USA

A mean lord exiles fairytale creatures to the swamp of a grumpy ogre, who must go on a quest and rescue a princess for the lord in order to get his land back.

Animation, Adventure, Comedy | PG | 1hr 30min

Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson | Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz

7.8 IMDb | 84 Metascore | Won 1 Oscar

$506 million | $60 million

Glendale, California

More Like This | Ice Age, Madagascar, Ratatouille

Pride feels very 'British' in that it's feel-good in almost a cheesy way, and was never going to be an Oscar contender, but delivers great performances from acting legends (Imelda Staunton! Bill Nighy!)

The whole theme of solidarity between queer people and other disenfranchised groups is ever relevant, and the ending Pride March through London as 'There is Power in a Union' plays makes me WEEP.