Ultimate Popstars 2019 - 310th (38 Points // Top 3) | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Popstars 2019 - 310th (38 Points // Top 3)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 29, 2019.

1. They better! I had a brief panic when I couldn't remember which song I'd chosen for them just now. I chose Into The New World but I hope potential other voters will pick other songs because I want their amazing music to be properly promoted in here.

2. This would be my honorable mentions #41-#50, ranked:

41. Ashley Tisdale - Not a huge fan of her debut Headstrong, but Guilty Pleasure is one of my favorite albums of all-time. The split in my obsession for the two albums is what ended up having my last choices just edge her out. Favorite Song: Overrated

42. Taproot - Their debut album Gift is an album I've loved so long I remember buying the cassette for it! Also there was the time I spent in the hospital when I specifically asked for the CD so I could sing along to it when I finally started feeling better (after a car accident) -- but the second album Welcome is hit or miss for me and I know literally nothing about their music after that (which is oft the case for a lot of my nu metal favorites when they started going to other genres in hard rock during the mid 00s and I started liking dance and pop music more) Favorite Song: I (yes the letter I)

43. Miley Cyrus - Her early music is some of my favorite in all of 'Disney pop' but starting with the Bangerz era, she began to go off into styles of music I'm not as interested in and the disconnect became real at that point. Favorite Song: Robot

44. Unsun - This is a Polish metal band and when I discovered their second album Clinic For Dolls I became obsessed with it and lead singer Aya's hypnotizing vocals. I don't particularly care for the debut album nearly as much and I don't listen to them at all as much as I used to. Favorite Song: Time

45. Annie - There are songs I would call major favorites from most releases of her but her albums aren't anywhere close to 'bulletproof' to me and she has some experimental stuff littered throughout her discography that isn't my thing. Favorite Song: Bad Times

46. A*Teens - I used to listen to The ABBA Generation daily and through exploration and their amazing discography rate on here, I discovered a handful of their original material that I've come to love too, but again I just don't listen to them enough to consider them Top 40. Favorite Song: Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

47. Kottonmouth Kings - I've never done one drug in my life, including marijuana, but my brother was the biggest pothead ever and I eventually fell in love with a few songs and found more. In case you don't know, this is a hip hop/punk band that specializes in songs about getting high...but they do the catchy type of hip hop I love. To this day I only really know like a dozen of their songs but most of them are easily among all-time favorite songs ever. Favorite Song: Bring It On

48. Blue Monster & Bikki - This is definitely one of my favorite bubblegum acts. Their one album was barely released to the public as in only a few copies ever got shipped from Sweden. On Bubblegumdancer's forums back in around 2009, a member got in contact with the producers who gifted the rare mp3 version of the album, that we could all share (not the only story of something similar happening in that bubblegum dance community) -- we were all obsessed with it, including me. It's the combination of zany 'cookie monster' vocals from 'blue monster' and his friend Bikki who could rival any of your pop favorites with her amazing voice. Favorite Song: Baywatch

49. Cheryl - There isn't anything else I can say accept in the summer of 2012, I listened to every song on A Million Lights probably 50 times each. I don't like her other albums nearly as much and that's a lot of music, so the cut had to be made. Favorite Song: Mechanics of a Heart

50. Monrose - Didn't even know who this German girlband was until @Vixen hosted their amazing discography rate a few years back. Now I can comfortably say I love most every song from their last three albums, plus their bonus track game is off the charts. Just simply a case of not loving their music for as long or quite as strongly in general, as the acts that made my Top 40 but they are so underrated in the pantheon of girlbands, it's not even funny. Favorite Song: Strictly Physical

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. Working on this now!

Trouble in Paradise, Maki and DJHazey like this.
  4. On the contrary, I love Miley's music more from "Bangerz" onward.
    But "Robot" is an amazing song, my favorite from "Can't Be Tamed" after "Who Owns My Heart"

Riiiiiiiii, Music Is Life and DJHazey like this.
  5. Well at least you taste in songs.
    And Can't Be Tamed and Bangerz are tied for my favorite Miley album.

DJHazey and Maki like this.
  6. These are two of the best songs ever made.

7. Okay I'm down to my 40 artist/songs, and these didn't make it:

#41 Patrick Wolf - Together
    #42 Bat For Lashes - Daniel
    #43 RuPaul - A Shade Shady
    #44 Fever Ray - Triangle Walks
    #45 Rihanna - S&M (Britney Spears Remix)
    #46 CocoRosie - Werewolf
    #47 Nina Kinert - Tiger You
    #48 Annie - Take You Home
    #49 Lily Allen - The Fear
    #50 All Saints - Pure Shores

#51 Joy Division - Digital
    #52 Depeche Mode - Behind The Wheel
    #53 Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out
    #54 Kelis - Acapella
    #55 Yelle - L’Amour Parfait
    #56 Oh Land - Renaissance Girls
    #57 David Bowie - Young Americans
    #58 Gwen Stefani - Cool (Richard X Remix)
    #59 Planningtorock - Much To Touch
    #60 Scissor Sisters - Self Control

#61 Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean?
    #62 The Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    #63 Anna Ternheim - Terrified
    #64 Feist - My Moon My Man
    #65 London Grammar - Metal & Dust
    #66 Hot Chip - I Feel Better
    #67 Mariah Carey - Fantasy
    #68 Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
    #69 Charlotte Gainsbourg - Everything I Cannot See
    #70 Marie Laforet - Viens Viens

#71 Kleerup - Until We Bleed
    #72 Little Boots - Symmetry
    #73 Destiny’s Child - Say My Name
    #74 The Killers - Goodnight, Travel Well
    #75 El Perro Del Mar - Change Of Heart (Robyn Remix)
    #76 Röyksopp - The Girl And The Robot (Joakim Remix)
    #77 These New Puritans - We Want War
    #78 Zayn - TIO
    #79 Katy Perry - Mind Maze
    #80 Chicks On Speed - Yes I Do

8. Wow your actual top 40 should be amazing, given the taste on display here.

9. I love you.

Riiiiiiiii, DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  10. Fair! I've not really had the time to actively participate in rates, but I'll definitely make time for this.

DJHazey likes this.
  11. Glad at least one person remembered A Fine Frenzy...

Lila, əʊæ, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  12. Got my scores in! This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be - but I'm happy with my final order. Plenty of pop acts (big and small), and a few post-hardcore/pop-punk/emo bands in there to, because they were definitive in my teen years.

Music Is Life and DJHazey like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DJHazey, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  14. Hey, know your popstars. Northern Ireland is right above it *wink*

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  15. Seeing Annie on some users' "rejected" lists is making me a little sad but also relieved. I was listening to Don't Stop (the album) the other day and it's still as good as I remember it.

I've also just realised there are loads of truly big pop girls who I've genuinely not even considered adding. Five or six years ago my list would have been nothing but.

DJHazey, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  16. Annie was a last minute cut. The fact it's been forever since she released new music didn't really help her case. And I realized I really like her out of nostalgia.

Another realization was that Richard X needs to come out of hibernation, and release his X-Factor Vol. 2. Or at least put Vol. 1 on Spotify!

londonrain and DJHazey like this.
  17. I'm starting to really regret not putting Bat For Lashes in my list honestly, she definitely deserved a spot.

DJHazey likes this.
  18. Same sis!

DJHazey and soratami like this.
  19. Ooh, only saw this now -- which makes me wonder if there's more untagged potential out there i.e. people who participated in all the previous incarnations but somehow missed this one so far.

I'll prolly be needing all the available deliberation time too, since I thought I might, for once, and for shits 'n' giggles, send a TRUE list...

See, in 2011 I was careful to make my list as PJ-relatable as possible. In 2016 I expanded to include stuff like The Velvet Underground, Spiritualized and Public Enemy -- but if I go all out now, I'm afraid you'd all be subjected to pointless flashes into the madness of acts like Finland's hardcore punk pioneers Terveet Kädet, San Diego's avant noise rock meisters Trumans Water, or Hungary's venerable Vagtazo Halottkemek a.k.a. Galloping Coroners, whose genre descriptions in the web include feeble attempts like shaman punk, heavy psych and neofolk.

So you can see why I've been hesitant to go all the way here, can't you? I 've been trying to protect you so's we could all have a nice time together!

Aester, Lila, Sprockrooster and 6 others like this.
  20. I definitely this was another factor on why she was a last cut for me. I think this is also what also effected Florrie's chances for me too.

Riiiiiiiii and 31entrance like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.