Ultimate Popstars 2019 - 593rd (22 Points) | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Popstars 2019 - 593rd (22 Points)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by DJHazey, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Ana Raquel and OspreyQueen like this.
  2. chanex likes this.
  3. My top 10 top and top 10 bottom are there, but I'm so stuck on arranging the 20 artist/song in the middle. Send help.

DJHazey and berserkboi like this.
  4. I used a random number generator to pit two artists against each other. I think it was @DJHazey and someone else who suggested that. It really helped me narrow down 70 artists to 40. It was also pretty helpful in getting me to establish a solid top 10. Then I just went though all the other acts and pitted them against the top 10, then the top 20, etc.

5. Yeah @soratami was looking for a program to do it and I suggested that because I've used it before for other projects. It was successful for them and for you too, so I would totally suggest it for anyone else struggling.

Maki, ohnostalgia and soratami like this.
  6. 2014

2014 Moderator

berserkboi, Maki and DJHazey like this.
  7. This might have been addressed before, but this is about 40 favorite artists, no matter of genre? Just don't wanna get yelled at for all the grindcore on my list (not really, but it would definitely have some artists outside of the usual PJ spectrum).

Music Is Life, Lila, Maki and 4 others like this.
  8. You can put whoever you want in your list! I don't think most people are worrying too much about keeping it completely PJ-friendly.

9. Oh man, I thought I could just whip this out, but now I have to go from ~50 to 40, and it's Sophie's Choice territory. Who would have thought you could build up an emotional connection with so many artists.

Relistening to some artists on my list, I am now having a good cry to The Cure's Homesick, so they get to stay.

10. Just make sure the artist who brought this to your country is featured ;)

Maki, DJHazey and DominoDancing like this.
  11. No promises can be made at this point.

12. My recency bias was strong with a few of my favorite acts staging comebacks right now (cough *Aly & AJ* cough), but about half my list has barely been active in the last decade. Pop music was just better back then. Or maybe I'm just getting old and not keeping up with the kids.

I'm literally still bopping to Rachel Stevens & Ashlee Simpson like its 2005.

13. With MKS/Sugababes counting as one, I had an extra spot in the Top 40, but then remembered Crowded House and Finn Brothers counted as two and here I am trying to make cuts again! *cries*

Maki, DJHazey, ohnostalgia and 2 others like this.
  14. I...I'm pretty certain that none of my artists even debuted in the 2010s, so I'm happy to even your recency bias out!

15. OMFG x 100000000000000 - I almost forgot Aaliyah!!!

NOBODY FORGET AALIYAH!!!!

londonrain, Maki, DJHazey and 3 others like this.
  16. Did I give points to a recent artist with a few songs because I wanted the spotlight on them? Maybe so.

17. Got to a Top 40 I am fairly happy with so here are the off-cuts:

Sylvie Vartan - Nicolas
    Johnny Hallyday - Un Jour Viendra
    Girls Aloud - Untouchable
    Demi Roussos - Quand Je T’Aime
    Grace Jones - Pull Up To The Bumper
    Donna Summer - I Feel Love
    Spice Girls - Viva Forever
    Florida - Good Feeling
    Tommy February6 - Lonely In Gorgeous
    Renee Gayor - Into Temptation
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    Anggun - La Neige Au Sahara
    Blur - Tender
    Florent Pagny - Savoir Aimer
    SIA - Elastic Heart

These are not in any particular order. A few could probably make it if I knew more songs by them so possibly this is now a list of artists I must explore!

18. How could you?

Anyway Marina will you be doing a lovely wheelhouse for voters?
    I missed out last time because I wasn't doing rates yet.

19. [​IMG]

Put those back in your list immediately!

20. The best decade in music.

I don't know, there were less voters and more importantly less albums to reveal back then compared to the number of artists I'll have this time. I think I'm just going to try to reveal all the artists and not put anything else on the plate for now.

Untouchable Ace, Lila and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.