Ultimate Song Justice: Best of the 2010s Edition (REVEALS!!!) | Page 144 | The Popjustice Forum

Ultimate Song Justice: Best of the 2010s Edition (REVEALS!!!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by ohnostalgia, Dec 31, 2019.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    MY SONGS KNOW WHAT YOU DID IN THE DARK (LIGHT 'EM UP) | FALL OUT BOY
    "I'm in the details with the devil, so now the world can never get me on my level"

Voted By: @junkos
    Release Date: February 4, 2013
    Country of Origin: United States

Artist Appearance: 2nd

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 29 others like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

vague, Rem, Crisp X and 8 others like this.
  3. Ooo yes. Love this song. That said it made me feel like I left a Fall Out Boy song off my list, but I checked and it's not eligible anyway. Whew.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    londonrain, vague, Rem and 4 others like this.
  4. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    NEVER GONNA LOVE AGAIN | LYKKE LI
    "Drive me to the dead end, till I promise not to run"

Voted By: @Trinu 3.0
    Release Date: May 2, 2014
    Country of Origin: Sweden

Artist Appearance: 3rd

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 28 others like this.
  5. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    NICE THINGS | MICKEY GUYTON
    "I gave you the moon, but you had to have the stars /Took 'em from the sky and you left them in the dark"

Voted By: @MollieSwift21
    Release Date: July 31, 2017

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 21 others like this.
  6. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Also Grimes squeaking out a 7th chart appearance for the approximately 10 seconds she's on love4eva? I can't.

vague, Petty Mayonnaise, Rem and 14 others like this.
  7. This is why I love this forum! Now if you excuse me, I’m going to have a good cry.

vague, Rem, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  8. 'Molecules' blows my mind & gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. That fade out of the melody from the ending of 'Palm Dreams' into 'Molecules' ... & then the string fade out into 'Let It Be'. My goodness. It is.... well, it's art. Expectations is a great album, but that three song ending is another level.

I kinda thought it might get another voter or two. I've only had one song get another voter so far (yikes!) & of my 6 songs left... I think only two will get other voters. (maybe 3.)

vague, Rem, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  9. Lila

Lila Staff Member

I can’t believe Missing U didn’t get another vote! I was expecting maybe @aux.

10. Literally same, except I guess it's two for me now (eek!). And of the 6 I have left, I can see like 2-4 maybe getting another voter.

11. aux

aux

Not going to lie, I'm a bit drunk and I got a bit emotional seeing the track here. Thank you @Lila for voting for this. I didn't vote for it because I already had two Robyn songs which are much more important to me, but this was certainly a special moment in her career.

Missing U is a song that got some flack when it first came out, mainly for it being Robyn on autopilot and didn't denote a new era for her. I partly agree with the critique, but I argue this is exactly why this song works beautifully. You all know I don't subscribe to the theory that Robyn went missing for eight years between Body Talk and Honey, she was actively working and releasing material, but this worked as a brilliant re-introduction.

The pulsating kick-drum and the hypnotic repetition synths showering the entire song, this is "classic" Robyn at her best. This song is set apart from being Body Talk leftovers by two particular elements. Firstly, the structure of the song. Honey is an album that plays around with the structure of songwriting, this is encapsulated perfectly in the title track. I don't possess the vernacular to explain it, but if you stream the song several times on your preferred streaming service, you'll understand what I mean.

The second element that sets this apart is the background of this song, this is written about Christian Falk, one of her longtime collaborators who sadly passed away in 2014. Robyn has been working with him since pretty much the start of her career. One of my favourite songs from Robyn is Remember, which appeared on Falk's debut album. The emotional impact this song carries throughout is just phenomenal, and lyrically, the song is heartbreak songwriting at its peak. Despite being written about Falk, the song applies to so many situations through the eight years without an LP that the song takes a new meaning for every person who listens to it.

Missing U was the perfect re-introduction to Robyn, it just was. It reminded everyone why we loved Robyn. As a longtime fan, my heart just... flourished seeing the outpour of love she was getting on social media because of this song. Hell, I joined this site to talk about the song and Honey. Fun @aux fact: my first post on this very forum was posting the announcement that Honey was premiering on Radio 1.

Even if you never pressed play on Missing U before the album's release, this song is the opening track of the album and it's the best placement for it. I personally don't feel like Honey's track sequencing gets enough praise. The album Honey is a beautiful flower that opens up to you through its runtime, slowly tracing Robyn's heartache and loss through to her coming out of this dark place and healing through dance music. It's one of the most emotionally rewarding experiences to start from Missing U to Honey to Ever Again. Let me go listen to the album again...

12. Molecules by Hayley Kiyoko is so good and so special and I'm still kinda mad that the music she released in 2019/2020 was nowhere near as special. While I still really enjoyed I'm Too Sensitive for This Shit (especially Demons and I Wish), I did think it was lacking a bit of magic.

Then again, I adore her album Expectations in that it seemed to perfectly encapsulate what it is like to discover that you're a girl who likes girls, whereas I'm Too Sensitive for This Shit were just a few cute bops.

13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    NO DRAMA (FEAT. OFFSET) | TINASHE
    "Tried to be myself but they won't AKA me (ok) AKA a pop star AKA a problem (pow)"

Voted By: @Pineapple
    Release Date: January 18, 2018

Artist Appearance (Tinashe): 6th
    Artist Appearance (Offset): 2nd

Serg., GimmeWork, RainOnFire and 29 others like this.
  14. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    NOW THAT I FOUND YOU | CARLY RAE JEPSEN
    "My heart's a secret, mmm, I think I'm coming alive yeah"

Voted By: @WhenTheSunGoesDown
    Release Date: February 27, 2019
    Country of Origin: Canada

Artist Appearance: 6th

Commentary
    A euphoric masterpiece. That soaring ad lib during the final chorus!

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 33 others like this.
  15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    ON HOLD | THE XX
    "Now you've found a new star to orbit, it could be love"

Voted By: @Kyle.
    Release Date: November 10, 2016
    Country of Origin: England

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 29 others like this.
  16. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    POLISH GIRL | NEON INDIAN
    "Do I still cross your mind? Your face still distorts the time"

Voted By: @Untouchable Ace
    Release Date: September 13, 2011

Commentary
    Kooky and quite an encapsulation of, well, me, sound wise.
    I was so elated to have discovered this during the wee hours on Rage.
    Only some first time experience can take you aback.
    You realise "okay this is possible".
    A piece of your soul clicks.​

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 25 others like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

(tie)
    14 points

[​IMG]
    KARMA KARMA (FEAT. ALCAZAR) | SAME DIFFERENCE
    "Could be a great somebody in a brand new body, if I get another try."

Voted By: @Iggypig
    Release Date: November 19, 2010
    Country of Origin: England

Artist Appearance: 2nd

londonrain, Serg., GimmeWork and 27 others like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Is it really an ultimate justice reveal without another artist/song mixup?

19. Yes Karma Karma is THAT bop!!! Amazing choice @Iggypig!

20. I did not know this BOP! Thanks @Iggypig

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.